2014 Winter Testing - General

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
krisfx
krisfx

Re: Winter Testing 2013/14

Holm86 wrote:
krisfx wrote:
Holm86 wrote:I don't see how it could be illegal to run narrower front wings, no beam wing, no coanda and shallower rear wings on 2013 cars at the test. They still fit within the 2013 regulations.

I don't know what is allowed on the engine side. But I suspect its still only legal to use the V8's.

edit: unless of course the tire test regulations which has been rewritten states that the cars has to be just as they were in the last race. That is also a possibility.

Narrow front wings I think wouldn't be allowed within the regs, but the rest would be yeah
Why wouldnt they?
Specific areas have to fit in specific "boxes" don't they? So it'd require more modification to shorten and then probably wouldn't be as representative I would suspect?

Edit: I also think similarly to you, that the teams will be restricted to testing the car as it was last raced

Holm86

krisfx wrote: Specific areas have to fit in specific "boxes" don't they? So it'd require more modification to shorten and then probably wouldn't be as representative I would suspect?
They would still fit into the 2013 regulation "boxes". So I dont see the problem.

astracrazy
astracrazy

krisfx i think you may have got this the wrong way round. If the wings next year were bigger then yes, you'd be right but next year they are smaller so there is no reason why they can't run a 2014 fw - like william did previous

timbo
timbo

So it looks like there's no photos and the times are not available?
:(

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

timbo wrote:So it looks like there's no photos and the times are not available?
:(
Long jaunt for a freelancer to likely not gain access to a privately rented track. I'm sure Pirelli will put a few photos out at some point of cars covered in test racks. The times are almost certainly not recorded and would be completely meaningless even if they were due to the Pirelli dictated test programmes.

Darknight
Darknight

I am at the track attending the national race events and the F1 guys pit area is not accessible. I think it would be hard for someone to get close up shots.

Hail22

Well ladies and Gentlemen...while Buemi is testing 2014 tires, Daniel Ricciardo is enjoying some holidaying / demo runs in Sri Lanka:

Chin up guys, I'm sure some official photos will show up sooner or later!

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if most teams are testing 100kg of race fuel and a long shot running reduced cylinders? (if is worth while testing but without the added torque / power created by the turbo I doubt it).
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

neilbah
neilbah

is this Monisha Kaltenborns idea of 'needing to establish the sport in countries where there is little to no fanbase' to quote another thread.. looks pretty unsafe for all involved, at least its not Maldonado at the wheel, demo runs were never his forte.

lebesset
lebesset

no going to winter testing for me this year
for the first time in some years I won't be at jerez although I shall be in spain ..in late january it will be cold so tyre performance will be poor therefore no real information on the new chassis performances

so presumably the teams will be getting some miles on the new engines and seeing if their gearbox predictions are correct ;
sitting in the stand with no idea what is going on doesn't appeal to me
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

Auto123.com reports that while no official timing will be given from this week tests, rumors are that the new tyres are slower than this year.

http://www.auto123.com/fr/course-automo ... tid=162924

Holm86

Ogami musashi wrote:Auto123.com reports that while no official timing will be given from this week tests, rumors are that the new tyres are slower than this year.

This is no real surprise. With all the mistakes from Pirelli this year they are going ultra conservative with these tires.

kooleracer
kooleracer

Ogami musashi wrote:Auto123.com reports that while no official timing will be given from this week tests, rumors are that the new tyres are slower than this year.

Really happy if this would be take also with the 2014 cars. I don't like the whole saving tires thing, its holding back drivers to attack each other on track. Hopefully these 2014 tires are as strong as the Bridgestone and Michelin tires were back in the days. If the tyres hold on, I think we will see a lot more aggressive driving during the races. Maybe be even the slipin and sliding we used to see in Monaco.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

godlameroso

Slower cars and slower tires....great.
Saishū kōnā

SectorOne

At least they won´t explode in someone´s face.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

timbo
timbo

SectorOne wrote:At least they won´t explode in someone´s face.
You're sure? Anything is possible, we still have engines and turbos.`why else would FIA demand placing turbo in enclosure which would catch debris?