2014 Engine testing ... or not ....

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
wuzak
wuzak

Re: 2014 Engine testing ... or not ....

Bredd wrote:
Holm86 wrote:Apparently Renault have done the same thing with a FR 3.5 chassis at Magny Cours.

No video evidence though.
How is it that they can get away with that without any video or sound being recorded. If they had tested at silverstone or spain for example someone (fans) would of got videos, pictures or sound come hell or high water. The french just not bothered?

Magny Cours is a closed circuit and out in the middle of nowhere.

Edit: There is an industrial estate at Magny Cours and a few roads near the perimeter.

Unlike Fiorano, which is in the middle of the city, where people can walk up to the fence and see part of the circuit.

Sulman
Sulman

Magny Cours is famously isolated.

Certainly lots of interesting whistles and chirps coming from that car. I think it is what people think it is, on gut feeling. It does sound nice. Much better than I thought it would.

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

Sulman wrote:Magny Cours is famously isolated.

Certainly lots of interesting whistles and chirps coming from that car. I think it is what people think it is, on gut feeling. It does sound nice. Much better than I thought it would.

And that's the point of the video.

First, it sounds quite nice when pushing on

Secondly, Merc, Renault and Honda all release dyno audio only that sounds very ordinary.

Result? Ferrari wins by showing something much more dynamic, that sounds much nicer and gets everyone and his dog talking about it. As I said before, it also backs up Ferrari's insisting on V6 over 4 banger.

bbq
bbq

Hi everyone, i just signed up to share a nice figure I generated from the video.

I did some analysis of the sound and here is a look to the second pass at about t = 60s

http://postimg.org/image/6uga1yl9t/

This shows the frequency components over time. I decided that the strongest component must be the fundamental frequency. I also don't assume a gear shift at t=67s because all the harmonics continue.
Further assumptions: Car travelling 30m/s when passing parallel to the camera and car leaving in a straight line away from the camera.
After doing a correction for the doppler effect we end up with a fundamental of 610Hz at the end. Converted from bangs per second to revs per minute this is 12200/min for a V6 or 9150/min for a V8.

I have a background in signal processing but no clue about engines, so this may be completely wrong :wink:

My guess is that it may be a F1 V6 or a generic racecar V8. I would exclude a LeMans V6, can't imagine to you would want to have such a high reving engine for endurance racing.

Edit: image not working?
Last edited by Richard on 06 Dec 2013, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed img link. You'd linked to the page that hosted the image. Right click on the image then "view image" and that should show the img url on the address bar.

SectorOne

Nice post. I can recommend imgur.com
Simple and easy image uploading.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Gridlock

As far as I'm aware you'd struggle to test lateral-g loadings on a static dyno? Do they matter?

Trying to think of motive. We have means, we think, and opportunity.

skgoa
skgoa

The engines will have to suffer through quite some abuse and have to last for longer than ever. Yet actual testing isn't allowed untill very close to the first race. Every championship since the end of the Schumacher era - with the exception of 2011 - would have ended differently if key DNFs hadn't happened. That right there is your motivation.

SectorOne

Gridlock wrote:As far as I'm aware you'd struggle to test lateral-g loadings on a static dyno? Do they matter?
I think you can get it to an extent by tilting the engine?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

mkable1370
mkable1370

SectorOne wrote:
Gridlock wrote:As far as I'm aware you'd struggle to test lateral-g loadings on a static dyno? Do they matter?
I think I see where you were going with that idea, but how does that simulate lateral loading and actual track conditions?

Scotracer
Scotracer

mkable1370 wrote:
SectorOne wrote:
I think I see where you were going with that idea, but how does that simulate lateral loading and actual track conditions?
In the automotive industry we do tilt components to test them simulating cornering or accel/braking but of course road cars rarely exceed 1G so it's easy to do.

With 6G under braking...
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Paul

They could try dropping it on the floor! :mrgreen:

gray41

Does anyone truly believe that mule has the F1 V6 in?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

mkable1370
mkable1370

gray41 wrote:Does anyone truly believe that mule has the F1 V6 in?
I expect many people believe that.

It was reported in summer 2012 that Ferrari were already running f1 v6 engines on the dyno. Given an entire year for development, and the fact that complete cars will be testing in less than two months in Jerez, it seems highly plausible that Ferrari could have the engine in a test mule at this point in the game.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102009

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/8027898/

Juzh

gray41 wrote:Does anyone truly believe that mule has the F1 V6 in?
yes

bbq
bbq

Scotracer wrote:
In the automotive industry we do tilt components to test them simulating cornering or accel/braking but of course road cars rarely exceed 1G so it's easy to do.

With 6G under braking...
The question is what you gain from running the engine in this car. I doubt that you manage to pull significantly more than 1.5G in a Road(super)car. A systems/integration test? Would that benefit from being run in a mule?