2014 Engine testing ... or not ....

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Alexgtt
Alexgtt

Re: 2014 Engine testing ... or not ....

jamsbong wrote:
Kai wrote:The new F1 engines don't run wastegates.
Oh OK.
I tried using my earphone to hear the sound again.
The exhaust noise actually sound like a V8. Not too disimilar to the 458.
The high pitch spinning noise would be the electric motor. The motor has similar noise to the LeMans LMP1 Audi.

The turbocharge surge like noise could also be the noise from the motor.
What do you all think?
Let's put the question of turbocharged or not to bed shall we? What do we know:

100% that's a turbo motor.
What is/is going to be turbocharged at Ferrari? Only the F1 engine as far as I know. Maybe there's an LMP1 car in the pipeline but surely it would be based off the F1 motor?
Listen to video of 80's F1 turbo v6 and compare - add some rpm, compensate for single turbo set up and I think what we hear is quite close.
I've yet to hear a road car turbo engine rev like that last few seconds of the video.
Last point - Ferrari were key to the move from l4 to V6 turbo on grounds of fitting noise, suitability to their brand, etc. What better way to prove their point than by releasing a taster video as soon as possible.

All adds up to me.

Richard
Richard

Alexgtt wrote:Last point - Ferrari were key to the move from l4 to V6 turbo on grounds of fitting noise, suitability to their brand, etc. What better way to prove their point than by releasing a taster video as soon as possible.

All adds up to me.
I was wondering about that too. Perhaps Ferrari are planning a V6 turbo car to demonstrate F1 has road relevance, even if it is just a political two fingers to the I4 supporters :o

Holm86

richard_leeds wrote:
Alexgtt wrote:Last point - Ferrari were key to the move from l4 to V6 turbo on grounds of fitting noise, suitability to their brand, etc. What better way to prove their point than by releasing a taster video as soon as possible.

All adds up to me.
I was wondering about that too. Perhaps Ferrari are planning a V6 turbo car to demonstrate F1 has road relevance, even if it is just a political two fingers to the I4 supporters :o
According to rumors they are planning a V6T road car.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread the next generation Ferrari California is rumored to have a turbo V6 engine. Perhaps with a Hi-KERS module just as the LaFerrari.

And I still think this "turbo chatter" in the video is coming from a KERS like generator. If you've seen le mans the last few years you can hear the same sort of noise coming from the Audi LMP's when their KERS are charging during braking.

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

Holm86 wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:

All adds up to me.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread the next generation Ferrari California is rumored to have a turbo V6 engine. Perhaps with a Hi-KERS module just as the LaFerrari.

And I still think this "turbo chatter" in the video is coming from a KERS like generator. If you've seen le mans the last few years you can hear the same sort of noise coming from the Audi LMP's when their KERS are charging during braking.
The California is currently tested with a V8 bi turbo not a V6.

And as it was said multiple times before, watch the video till the end...you'll hear the whistle all the way from the braking to the main straight!! So this is not the KERS charging under braking.

SectorOne

Here´s the V8 Turbo California, the difference of a production engine and the monster we heard in the first post of this thread.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGSUpUPwgeU#t=19[/youtube]

Could the chatter be the electronics making sure the turbo is spooling at a certain rpm range?
Like an on off switch just keeping it in a certain range.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Bomber_Pilot

Going by what can be heard, does anyone actually believe that this engine will go into a "low end" Ferrari California? It's plausible for the first two runs in the video, but after the third.... I'm not so sure.

kooleracer
kooleracer

It is a turbo engine, but i really don't think that is a F1 engine. What could the possibly learn from putting it into a road car instead of running it on a dyno? There is absolutely no correlation between that mule car and a F1 car. What would they possibly learn from putting a F1 engine in a roadcar? I think its the new v8 for the new california and that it has nothing to do with F1.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

shelly
shelly

There is one thing I do not understand from the video: there are just 40ish seconds between the 2nd and the 3rd pass in front of the camera. Is the video edited or are there shortcuts in fiorano?
twitter: @armchair_aero

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

a dyno is not the factual representation of an engine under load. A dyno is a test bench. When an engine is put under track stress, it's a completely different story. Only then you can test whether well-calculated theory actually works in reality like it should. G-forces of cornering for example can theoretically be tested with computer simulations, but does real-life produce the expected resutls? Only way to find out is to hit it on the streets.

Did the lubrifications respond to g-loads the way it should? Does the engine respond like it should when switching gear
on track when the rear wheels are under load? How does it react to the environment?

I think it's very safe to say this is 100% a V6T Ferrari F1 engine, but it's still in development and the final engine which will be put into the 2014 competitors will be different to this one thanks to evolvement.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

knabbel

I've listened a lot to the engine test, and I'm now completely convinced that they are testing the MGUH harvesting and anti-lag on a 2014 F1 engine.

If they all sound like this I can't wait until Spa 2014 (the only race I will attend next year)

Holm86

Ogami musashi wrote:
Holm86 wrote:

The California is currently tested with a V8 bi turbo not a V6.

And as it was said multiple times before, watch the video till the end...you'll hear the whistle all the way from the braking to the main straight!! So this is not the KERS charging under braking.
Okay the California will be V8 turbo not V6. I just heard some rumors about it being V6 some time ago.

And I have seen the whole video. But I'm still not convinced that it is the new F1 V6 engine. It sounds good though. So wouldn't mind if the new F1 cars would sound like that.

aussiegman
aussiegman

So it seems people agree its a turbo engine, however trying to determine 1.6Lt F1 vs 2.0L LMP is going to be difficult.

However, it certainly sounds like they were testing the low RPM boost control. As mentioned previously what sounded like compressor surge could have been the testing of the MGU-H spooling the turbo at low RPM to create boost and it being bled off by a diverter valve /BOV system.

It also had a very loud "whistle" or whine that could again be the MGU-H motor/generator system spooling the turbo or being driven...
Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the back, or an Idiot from any direction

wuzak
wuzak

Doubtful that the LMP engine is more advanced than the F1 engine, since it is/will be a derivative of the F1 engine.

Kai
Kai

ecapox wrote:We have suggested, and calculated, here that they will not run a wastegate. It has yet to be proven. It is possible that Ferrari will do something different than what you all have calculated.

In that video, there is a wastegate. But is that the Ferrari v6?? Who knows.
What makes you think there is a wastegate in that video? If you are talking about the noise when the car comes off throttle that is not a wastegate. Wastegate in most cases is mounted onto the exhaust side of the car. Alot of people mistake this for the noise caused from the air going back over the compressor wheel.

Blackout

I hear 4 different kinds of whistling in this video. A short one at the very beginning of the vid (blow off valve? or what is that?) and it's followed by a long whistle during the first braking... Then some nice cooker-like repeated whistles between 0:57 and 1:00 (wastegate ? no wastegate?) when the car is accelerating slowly. Then a long whistle when the engine is screaming from 1:40 to the end. (Turbo ? ERS?)
Last edited by Blackout on 02 Dec 2013, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.