2014 Engine testing ... or not ....

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
RicerDude

Re: 2014 Engine testing ... or not ....

Waste gate blown diffusers...

Holm86

RicerDude wrote:Waste gate blown diffusers...
How?

turbof1

We've already discussed this - waste gate blown diffusers are not possible next year. Everything exhaust related has to exit through that one exhaust pipe.
#AeroFrodo

Richard
Richard

andylaurence

What's the chance that this is a cleverly engineered stunt by Ferrari with a video of a test mule made to look like camera phone footage allied to a soundtrack from another car...

turbof1

That would be very difficult. The new sound has to be fully synced with the original one in order to keep it realistic. Too much trouble for very little gain. Perhaps they have edited the orginal sound; that'd be more realistic.
#AeroFrodo

SectorOne

andylaurence wrote:What's the chance that this is a cleverly engineered stunt by Ferrari with a video of a test mule made to look like camera phone footage allied to a soundtrack from another car...
And the purpose of this would be?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

andylaurence

SectorOne wrote:
andylaurence wrote:What's the chance that this is a cleverly engineered stunt by Ferrari with a video of a test mule made to look like camera phone footage allied to a soundtrack from another car...
And the purpose of this would be?
7 pages of excited discussion on this thread alone. Marketing. It's not that hard to do, especially when there are few points of reference because of the poor filming...

SectorOne

andylaurence wrote:7 pages of excited discussion on this thread alone. Marketing. It's not that hard to do, especially when there are few points of reference because of the poor filming...
Marketing for what?
That they will produce a V6 that we already know?
Market the sound of the engine?
Market Ferrari even though it is by far the most marketed car manufacturer in the world with it´s own themepark?
And the fact that you can´t actually prove it´s a Ferrari in the first place going around. (even though we know it´s a LaFerrari)

I think creating a fake video a splash of F1 fans will see would be considered a waste of time.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Richard
Richard

It's marketing doing what marketing does. Create a buzz, keep people talking about the team during the winter.

It started with the hint on the official Ferrari twitter account. Its no coincidence that some video footage leaked out that was conveniently taken from inside the private Ferrari test circuit.

SectorOne

Well there´s that and then there´s the explanation Ferrari teasing about their new engine on twitter which was then shortly followed by someone (Ferrari) giving us another teaser of their engine.
And that marketing was never really consciously thought about during the whole process.

To me it seems a bit far-fetched all of it is a marketing exercise just to keep people talking about Ferrari during the winter.

Richard
Richard

Sorry you got me lost there.

It seems that Ferrari were testing something at their private circuit, presumably for some technical reason. Then the marketing team thought they'd post some teasers about the testing. I'm not sure how that is far fetched.

Andy wondered if the sound track was dubbed just to tease a bit more.

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

I'd say the video wasn't filmed from the inside of the track.

Via Marsala, Fiorano
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

SectorOne

I´m lost as well. I read this,
What's the chance that this is a cleverly engineered stunt by Ferrari with a video of a test mule made to look like camera phone footage allied to a soundtrack from another car...
Took it as the test was faked. There is no 2014 engine test but instead a test mule with a dubbed sound on the sole purpose of marketing.
Hence me asking what they were marketing. And was answered, "7 pages of excited discussion on this thread alone."

I also don´t understand why you would make it look like camera phone footage.

CBeck113
CBeck113

FWIW, I've stood at that spot in Maranello, and it is outside the fence - but I honestly don't think that their marketing would go to this length for a fake. Quite the opposite - they are quite proud to be able to test the new V6, and just wanted everyone to know without actually saying it (just don't ask me why, unless they could be penalized for it!). Just to one-up Renault (just pictures) and Mercedes (soundtrack from a test stand).
Or maybe this is just hopeful thinking....
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail