WEC (World Endurance Championship) 2014

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Pierce89

Re: WEC (World Endurance Championship) 2014

WhiteBlue wrote:
TzeiTzei wrote:There is the K-factor in the calculations. This was discussed a while ago in this thread.
The K-factor was for fuel differences IMO. Do you have a quote saying it was for engine weight?
No, but the diesel got slightly more energy to make up for the weight. That's the whole point of these sets. Besides, in the real world, diesels don't get to run at the same overall weight at petrol cars, at Le Mans, diesels get an artificial level of assistance IMHO.

tthe k factor makes up for differenrces including diesels extra weight. The fuel technology factor is what balanced power.

Oh well, there's a fuel factor and tech factor. Its complicated, but the diesel is not at a disadvantage. As everyone already knows,VAG runs the ACO, so neither the Audi or Porsche will be disadvantaged. In fact, I expect Toyota will be pegged back now to make sure a VAG car wins the WEC.
Last edited by Pierce89 on 16 Jun 2014, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

WhiteBlue

Pierce89 wrote: Yes the k and t factors are meant to make up for a diesel's extra weight or any field of difference between different engines.. WB, you're normally well informed, but I think you should probably look through the WEC regs again before making a y more assertions
The table machin presented did not tell the same story. If they intended the k-factor to compensate for engine weight they did not implement that correction. So there is still a disadvantage for diesel IMO.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Pierce89

WhiteBlue wrote:
Pierce89 wrote: Yes the k and t factors are meant to make up for a diesel's extra weight or any field of difference between different engines.. WB, you're normally well informed, but I think you should probably look through the WEC regs again before making a y more assertions
The table machin presented did not tell the same story. If they intended the k-factor to compensate for engine weight they did not implement that correction. So there is still a disadvantage for diesel IMO.
Maybe so, good, diesel had an unfair advantage for years.

Edit: How is a diesel running at the same overall weight disadvantaged. In the real world, diesels are always heavier, so they're giving diesel an advantage by allowing to run at the same weight. Not to mention, that at equal HP, the diesel will have a torque advantage.

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

langwadt
langwadt

Pierce89 wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:
Maybe so, good, diesel had an unfair advantage for years.

Edit: How is a diesel running at the same overall weight disadvantaged. In the real world, diesels are always heavier, so they're giving diesel an advantage by allowing to run at the same weight. Not to mention, that at equal HP, the diesel will have a torque advantage.
how is the same total weight and heavier engine is an advantage? it means you have less freedom to move around ballast
how is higher torque an advantage? it just means you need a beefier clutch and gearbox

machin

WhiteBlue wrote: The table machin presented did not tell the same story. If they intended the k-factor to compensate for engine weight they did not implement that correction. So there is still a disadvantage for diesel IMO.
Not quite right; My numbers showed that, due to the K-correction factor, a 2MJ Diesel is roughly equivalent in kinetic energy per lap terms to a 7 MJ Petrol Hybrid (i.e. faster than 6MJ, but slower than an 8MJ) AT LE MANS (but not at Spa/Silverstone where the 6MJ petrols have the advantage!)... however there appears to be a disparity in terms of stint length, where the 6MJ petrol appears to have a clear advantage over a 2MJ Diesel (assuming that all cars run at the minimum weight limit) at all tracks. My original posts:-
Machin wrote:Image

I think this is slightly odd.... Why "promote" (i.e give a bigger advantage to) the bigger Hybrid cars in the WEC, but not at Le Mans?
machin wrote:

(Red is Diesel, Blue is Petrol)

The 2, 4, and 6MJ Diesels get relatively more fuel energy per lap in accordance with the "K-Factor" which balances the respective ICE weights... i.e. because the Diesel engine weighs more, they get more fuel energy per lap as a compensation...

I don't understand why the K-factor is 1 for 8MJ cars... as this implies that the engine weights are suddenly the same when you have the biggest hybrid system....

To my mind, this graph suggests that, due to the different engine weights, if we assume that all competitors will run at the 870kg limit, and run with the biggest hybrid system possible within that limit, a 2MJ Diesel is equivalent (in lap time terms) to a 6.5 to 7MJ Hybrid Petrol... which would be fair enough if that is what the ACO have determined... except we know that a 6MJ Petrol is "allowed" to do more laps on a single fuel tank (at max fuel consumption) than a 2MJ Diesel.... so there is no parity on that front...

????
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

PorscheLMp1Fan
PorscheLMp1Fan

These are from the ACO-FIA press conference at Spa.

Pierce89

langwadt wrote:
how is the same total weight and heavier engine is an advantage? it means you have less freedom to move around ballast
how is higher torque an advantage? it just means you need a beefier clutch and gearbox
Dude the question is in relation to the fact that in the real world, there's not rules to equalize a diesels weight, it just creates a heavier car. Of course, we all understand the most basic principals of physics. As far as how is torque an advantage, have you ever pushed the throttle to the floor on an off boost turbo engine? Torque is good.

Pierce89

Nice chart, Porschefan

machin

Pierce89 wrote: As far as how is torque an advantage, have you ever pushed the throttle to the floor on an off boost turbo engine? Torque is good.
You don't mean Torque. what you mean is "mid-range power".

WhiteBlue

Machine’s table shows it very clearly. If we assume that the ACO made a perfect balance for a car without hybrid drive you see that they made the assumption the diesel manufacturers would design away the weight and weight distribution disadvantage of the heavier diesel engine.

Obviously this assumption is incorrect. Audi clearly planned to have a turbo generator powered hybrid 6 or 8 MJ system which they had to scrap because they could not take out the over weight to the degree the ACO had assumed.

And this is the core of my criticism. The T factor is not decided on actual performance data and design specifications but on assumptions that did not apply in reality. If we look at Machine’s table and pay attention to the history of the Audi design this is the only correct interpretation. So effectively Audi was forced by the regulations to run an underpowered car which developed lower performance and had to rely on attrition of the opposition to win the race on superior reliability.
To me this is not a correct balance of technologies and I think that Audi is entitled to a correction for next year, so that they can design a car that can competitively utilize the higher hybridization levels.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

machin

Because of the way the balancing works, a 2MJ diesel is only equivalent (roughly) in terms of lap time/kinetic energy to a 4MJ petrol at Spa.

At Le Mans a 2MJ diesel is equivalent to a 7MJ petrol (i.e. between a 6MJ and 8MJ petrol) in terms of lap time/kinetic energy per lap...

I don't know why the ACO did this... but the 6MJ petrols seem to get an advantage in the WEC compared to at Le Mans.... although in all races the 6MJ petrols should be able to do more laps (at max consumption) than a 2MJ diesel.

Here is my full table for Spa:-

Which compares to the Le Mans EoT table:-

MadMatt
MadMatt

Oh man all these numbers give me a head ache. Is it how racing is nowadays? I miss straight fights, pure racing.

machin

The "problem" with the above charts is that we have two performance characteristics (MJ/lap and stint length), which are both changing depending on the amount of Hybridisation, and that makes comparisons difficult.

if we were to "normalise" the MJ/lap by assuming that all cars will do 15 lap stints (i.e. those cars with less Hybridisation would need to do more fuel saving in order to do 15 laps), we end up with this chart, whereby the Diesels and Petrols are perfectly balanced (i.e. a 2MJ diesel = a 2MJ Petrol):-

I specifically chose 15 laps because this means that no car will break the maximum fuel flow per lap allowance.

To create this chart I have simply done:

((Max kinetic energy in fuel)/No. of laps per stint)+(Hybrid energy per lap x motor efficiency)

In this scenario the K-factor can be totally ignored....

WhiteBlue

To apply such a strategy and have a fair competition between petrol and diesel with regard to weight issues the minimum weight would have to be increased and the weight difference between petrol and diesel would have to be placed as ballast at the engine for petrol driven cars.

djos

WEC (World Endurance Championship) 2014

If Audi want to put big fat heavy tractor motors in their cars that's their problem. Those using real car engines shouldn't be penalized for someone else's stupid decision!
Last edited by djos on 18 Jun 2014, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"