Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

Anon123 wrote:Probably to do with the weight of the ERS battery, I think I heard Ted Kravitz mention Mercedes KERS battery is tiny. Also there were rumours in one of the old Merc threads that Mercedes have been developing a radiator which is 30% lighter with the help of an American company.
The regulations dictate the ERS has to be between 20 and 25kg. They also dictate its location.
geraldix wrote:You won't believe your own eyes reading this, but I heard the W05 will be full of ellipses, radiis, constant radius arches and what not. It will be a blast, and you got to know it first HERE, in my post!
Ha! beat me to it.
Honda!

turbof1

dren wrote:
Anon123 wrote:Probably to do with the weight of the ERS battery, I think I heard Ted Kravitz mention Mercedes KERS battery is tiny. Also there were rumours in one of the old Merc threads that Mercedes have been developing a radiator which is 30% lighter with the help of an American company.
The regulations dictate the ERS has to be between 20 and 25kg. They also dictate its location.
Was my same thought, although we don't know how problematic it is to reach the minimum weight of 20kg. However, every other team then mercedes agreed with a raise in minimum weight, so including the other teams with mercedes power units. The difference surely has to be outside the parameters of the power unit.
#AeroFrodo

Bredd
Bredd

Radiators? Or some sort of cooling.
Last edited by Steven on 04 Dec 2013, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove quoted post right above

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Speaking to someone in the know they said that they don't have trouble meeting the minimum weight but there's a whole lot less ballast compared to this year which is why teams are telling the press that they can't meet the weight and need smaller drivers, just in the hope that it's gets raised and they can have more ballast. This was a midfield team.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

dans79

Owen.C93 wrote:Speaking to someone in the know they said that they don't have trouble meeting the minimum weight but there's a whole lot less ballast compared to this year which is why teams are telling the press that they can't meet the weight and need smaller drivers, just in the hope that it's gets raised and they can have more ballast. This was a midfield team.
That's the first thing that came to mind when I read that Newey said it needs to be raised. If Merc is the team saying no way, I hope they stick to their guns. I sure wouldn't budge when I know they are lying publicly about why it needs to be raised. If I disliked them enough, I might even call them out on it publicly.
197 104 103 7

henra
henra

atanatizante wrote:
Anon123 wrote:...
Thank God that next year with the 100kg rule 5% equals to 5kg and therefore 1,5 tenth a lap so not such a big gain for the Renault engine ...
Hmm, there is one ugly detail about it:
Everyone is going to have 100kg of fuel in their tanks.
So no difference in weight at all.
Buuut: 5% more Efficiency then simply means you can get 5 % more energy out of the fuel, read HP over time.
Assuming 50% throttle over a lap this would mean you could run ~60HP more while on throttle.
Which would even be a bigger Advantage than the 5kg.
On the other Hand I would be surprsied if one manufaturer would deliver 5% better Efficiency. That would be massive.

hollus

30HP (ish). The percentage time on throttle does not matter. 5% more fuel, 5% more power. If you believe in 5% differences, that is.
Rivals, not enemies.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I doubt the 5% figure was BSFC based.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

shelly
shelly

Did Brawn release something about the car in a recent interview?
twitter: @armchair_aero

henra
henra

hollus wrote:30HP (ish). The percentage time on throttle does not matter. 5% more fuel, 5% more power. If you believe in 5% differences, that is.
:oops:

Note to self: Don't drink and write :mrgreen:

MacX

Very important for mercedes to continue blocking the lifting of weight. I have a question, why Mercedes is blocking other desires? What it can give them?

Bredd
Bredd

shelly wrote:Did Brawn release something about the car in a recent interview?
Think all he said was wait til you see next years car.

Anon123
Anon123

Bredd wrote:
shelly wrote:Did Brawn release something about the car in a recent interview?
Think all he said was wait til you see next years car.
He's such a tease, I hope when they pull that cover back we see rocket thrusters. :D

PhillipM
PhillipM

dren wrote:
geraldix wrote:You won't believe your own eyes reading this, but I heard the W05 will be full of ellipses, radiis, constant radius arches and what not. It will be a blast, and you got to know it first HERE, in my post!
Ha! beat me to it.
I heard they've got a new ellipse generating technique that makes them 30% lighter than anyone elses ellipses*

*My mate reckons they do it by making the lines thinner on the CAD model.

gray41

BREAKING:

It will be silver and green.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***