Most pec...bizarre aerodynamics thread.

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Crazy Bored
Crazy Bored

Re: Most pec...bizarre aerodynamics thread.

Sebp wrote:
wth is this?

What series is this from?
It's from some short oval track that has a hotlap competition where there doesn't seem to be any rules.

gixxer_drew
gixxer_drew

MadMatt wrote:
DAMNINice wrote:they were running on Sydney Motorsport Park.
Ricciardo set a new all time lap record (1:11:2330min).
thats 13 sec. faster then the record before (1:24:xx min) from Tilton Evo last year @ World Time Attack Challange.
You have to know that they are only allowed to use road tires on WTAC.

Unfortunately the Tilton Evo wasn't able to use slicks this time due to a shipment problem of the ordered slicks from overseas!

It`s still impressive that the Evo run faster with it`s road tires than the SLS GT3 with Slicks. (1:27:5 min)
Yea well, it has at least 50% more power, "road tyres" that are pretty much the best you can have for a road tyre (did you check what a Yokohama A050 is? not far off a race tyre), and no restriction anything (did you check how restrictive the GT3 category is?). Everybody with money can beat a GT3 in an unlimited class, but try to do it with GT3 regulations and I will take my hat off!
A modern GT3 machine is pretty impressive though. The Nemo racing car listed above was about 0.3 slower in 2012 than the Tilton car was in 2013 but with "only" 500hp.

I think what is fascinating about the cars is just seeing where people go with development when they do not have rules but the development budgets are 10% as much.

DAMNINice

gixxer_drew wrote:
A modern GT3 machine is pretty impressive though. The Nemo racing car listed above was about 0.3 slower in 2012 than the Tilton car was in 2013 but with "only" 500hp.

I think what is fascinating about the cars is just seeing where people go with development when they do not have rules but the development budgets are 10% as much.
Yes, you´ve got it completely right.. thats what I think, too.

When you think that in Melbourne the slowest team was >5sec slower then the fastest and you shave off some (I think realistic) 3sec. off the Tilton-Time, You have also a difference of 5 sec. between a "slow" F1 car and a race car, based on a 4 door saloon car with a kindergarten budget (in comparison to F1) built in a garage.

I think this is really impressive!
REal men play with twins!

MadMatt
MadMatt

I agree, it is what I would say a good use of the available resources.

RicerDude

Noticed the other day while watching the 1994 Australian gp that the mclaren ran holes in the back on the engine cover straight through to the air box so you could see straight through. Anyone know why they did this?

Last edited by RicerDude on 18 Mar 2014, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.

wesley123
wesley123

Rules required an opening in the airbox.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Sombrero
Sombrero

Ban on electronic driver aids such as active suspension,[31] traction control,[33] launch control, ABS, and (without ever appearing in a race) 4 wheel steering[40] at the beginning of the season, mid race refueling allowed for the first time since and include a reduction in the height of the rear wing of 10 cm, an increase in the height of the front wing, no front wing trailing assemblies to extend behind front wheel, a 10 mm wooden plank fitted to the under tray (permitted to be worn by no more than 1 mm by the race end), a ban on high rear wing assemblies extending ahead of the rear axle line to sidestep 1983,[41] post Imola sweeping changes introduced to slow cars down, starting from the Monaco race onwards, a pit lane speed limit is put in place; between the Spanish Grand Prix and the German Grand Prix, additional changes are phased in the wing height restrictions, depressurising the engine airbox to reduce power, minimum headrest thickness 75 mm (3.0 in) introduced, more stringent fire extinguisher regulations and driver helmet criteria implemented, a pit lane speed restriction of 80 km/h (50 mph) in practice and 120 km/h (75 mph) in race conditions introduced, also the parade lap was to be completed behind safety car (abandoned from Imola onwards), pit spectator area to be fire shielded, 27 corners identified as very high risk and as a result changes to circuit layouts implemented to remove or modify these parts of the track. After Imola, pit lane speed limit is implemented.[37]

Source : Wikipedia

xpensive
xpensive

Ferrari tried to get around the rule with slots on the side of the airbox, but finally had to cut up the back;

A rather pathetic measure, as the ram-effect of the airbox hardly contributed to more than 15-20 Hp at top speed.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

iryafasteners
iryafasteners

I must say many information got from your from and i am extreme lover of formula 1 race but i didn't know the under story of race and the racing car so i am glad that this type of forum have to read like me racing lovers.

Scardini1
Scardini1

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!

The Viceroy V-Wing Indy 500 car in the first post is my personal long time favorite. I remember that car well. Too bad it didn't race in that configuration.

Oh how boring racing has become. Thank you FIA for squashing so much innovation in F1.

Ciao Y'awl!

xpensive
xpensive

The gorgeous 1979 Kauhsen WK, such a shame it was a dog;

Sombrero
Sombrero

The dihedral wing was raced once at the Trenton 200 (second round of USAC 1972, just before the Indy 500).

#9 Mario Andretti - started 4th - 1 lap - broken piston

#1 Joe Leonard - started 6th - finished 4th, 4 laps down on Gary Bettenhausen #7 Sunoco McLaren M-16A
#4 Al Unser - started 7th - 8 laps - broken halfshaft

xpensive
xpensive

The 1981 Eagle-Chevy used a different ground-effect concept than venturis, called Boundary Layer Adhesion Technology (BLAT);

Roger Penske banned it from CART of course, but does anyone know more about this aerodynamic concept?

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/race/ ... to-banned/

gixxer_drew
gixxer_drew

xpensive wrote:The 1981 Eagle-Chevy used a different ground-effect concept than venturis, called Boundary Layer Adhesion Technology (BLAT);

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/wp-co ... waukee.jpg

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/wp-co ... ukee-2.jpg

Roger Penske banned it from CART of course, but does anyone know more about this aerodynamic concept?

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/race/ ... to-banned/
That concept AAR developed in the early 80s is the same concept used on the delta wing tunnels. You can see a more evolved version with modern construction and testing techniques if you look there.

Its an interesting design...

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)