Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2014

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2014

cdsavage wrote:It's a good idea, attracting more entrants should be a priority for next year. What do people think about much more in the way of spec parts to reduce the barrier to entry? At the very least, a supplied but optional set of parts is something we should look into.
I think that to provide some standard parts would be a great idea, for two different reasons: realism and reduced "first approach" difficulties for new designers. Here two examples:

1) More realistic rules: a "heat echanger standard volume" mor "fuel tank and batteries volume" could help to simplify the side pods and body rules and realism
2) Simplicity: a standard (but really "standard", with only extruded flaps, see my first design MP001A as example) front wing
Last edited by CAEdevice on 12 Jun 2014, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.

CAEdevice

@astracracy: I would have some other ideas I'd like to share, do you prefer to continue here or to switch to the KVRC2015 thread?

astracrazy
astracrazy

Hi

Obviously feel free to release your car for now for someone to use to practise, but please refrain from advertising it for 2015. You know what can happen, someone gets hold of if, doesn't keep up to date with changes, then complains that there car isn't legal

I like the idea of supplying a customer car though to open up the championship for people - starting from scratch can be a bit of an uphill battle the first time. Or at least a customer chassis.

By all means chat ideas here, I've got a document to keep track of suggestions which I'm adding to for later discussion. I'll try and keep track. I might even change it so you guys can add your ideas to it as well as discussing here.

edit:

Here is the link to the form. I'll add it to my sig so you can all find it. Its just so when we come to review everything is in one place. Try and keep the idea in simple note form, then link to the f1 tech forum where it has been discussed. For example http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... &start=555 would be for this page

Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1yJz24Z ... =send_form

This is different from the survey. The survey was which direction you want KVRC to go in, this is ideas for improvement
Last edited by astracrazy on 12 Jun 2014, 10:33, edited 2 times in total.

CAEdevice

astracrazy wrote:Hi

Obviously feel free to release your car for now for someone to use to practise, but please refrain from advertising it for 2015. You know what can happen, someone gets hold of if, doesn't keep up to date with changes, then complains that there car isn't legal

I like the idea of supplying a customer car though to open up the championship for people - starting from scratch can be a bit of an uphill battle the first time. Or at least a customer chassis.

By all means chat ideas here, I've got a document to keep track of suggestions which I'm adding to for later discussion. I'll try and keep track. I might even change it so you guys can add your ideas to it as well as discussing here.
Ok!

Yes I mentioned that the rules could change: I'm not releasing the car to be used as it is, but just to simplifly the first steps of design.

astracrazy
astracrazy

To throw the ball out there first and get some feedback, currently on the list of ideas to discuss:

- x amount of test cfd runs included in the entry fee
- spread races out more
- same downforce level tracks
- more spec and template parts - even customer cars
- adjust points system for closer racing? Last race different track type with double points?
- lower ground clearance / add rake
- ways to increase participants

Obviously at this stage its about adding ideas. further down the line we will remove and make a shortlist and so forth
Last edited by astracrazy on 12 Jun 2014, 10:26, edited 2 times in total.

CAEdevice

One of the thinks we should consider to improve the number of partecipants is the subscrition fee: from one side a small fee (2014 fee was very small in my opinion) can help to separate really interested partecipants from curious ones, on the other side some people could be discouraged from paying a fee.

I also considered to become a sponsor (10€ x 10 partecipants is not a big expense in change of a banner), but I'm not sure yet: I don't want this could be a problem being involved in the race, and I really think that a miminum feed is necessary to avoid having 100 partecipants to the first race (90 not legal or 10 seconds slower than others) and 2 partecipants to the second race...

CAEdevice

astracrazy wrote:Last race different track type with double points?
I agree with all the points, but this one is particulary good.

astracrazy
astracrazy

CAEdevice wrote:
astracrazy wrote:Last race different track type with double points?
I agree with all the points, but this one is particulary good.
The feedback from the survey suggests keeping the current point system. But i'm just looking at ideas, based on this season, of ways to keep it closer or people engaged all the way through. I'm not in favour of double points in real f1 but this could be an idea + throw in that the track is different to the rest (be that downforce level) gives a reason why

astracrazy
astracrazy

My points idea which would of kept it to the wire this year:
1st 20
2nd 18
3rd 16
4th 12
5th 10
6th 8
7th 6
8th 4
9th 2
10th 1

Podium Bonus: 5 points

This puts less on winning, but more on the podium spots (gap of 4 points between 3rd and 4th). Plus the first time you get on the podium you get a bonus 5 points

to compare before race 5 took place (only including teams which submitted every race).

Current System:
CSR 93
Variante 79
JJR Racing 57
CAEdevice 48
BigSpace Racing 41

Proposed:
CSR 83
Variante 79
JJR Racing 65
CAEdevice 48
BigSpace Racing 47

Whilst the championship results would of been the same (after race 5), the gap would of been much less, just 4 points. And as you can see, going into race 5 everything was to play for

Current:

Proposed:
Last edited by astracrazy on 12 Jun 2014, 11:28, edited 2 times in total.

CAEdevice

I dont't know, not sure about the podium bonus. The 2014 points worked well from my point of view, the problem was the lack of partecipants.

astracrazy
astracrazy

I agree

But i'm also concerned about people losing interest towards the end. Even you would of had a closer fight on your hands? :)

its just a idea any way

CAEdevice

astracrazy wrote:I agree

But i'm also concerned about people losing interest towards the end. Even you would of had a closer fight on your hands? :)

its just a idea any way
Triple points for the last race : )

astracrazy
astracrazy

in review, the double/triple points doesn't change much. I was just trying to look at an idea to keep it tight throughout the season. I thought adding a bonus keeps it interesting and rewarding.

Whilst CSR, Variante and JJR were podium regulars, Bigspace got on the podium once so the bonus would of been beneficial for him

RicME85

A catalogue of spec parts might be a good way of enticing those who are wary of joining because of modelling ability.
For example:
. Spec tub
. 3 to 5 nose profiles
. 3 to 5 front wing profiles
. 3 to 5 rear wing profiles
. 1 or 2 designs for each of the following; sidepods, air intake, engine cover, floor/diffuser

All parts would fit together in any conceivable combination.

For me time became an issue, life didnt allow me to continue working on my car, if there was a selection of spec parts like this then it would be possible to make changes to your car quickly if you havent got the time to do so because of more important things.

CAEdevice

RicME85 wrote:A catalogue of spec parts might be a good way of enticing those who are wary of joining because of modelling ability.
For example:
. Spec tub
. 3 to 5 nose profiles
. 3 to 5 front wing profiles
. 3 to 5 rear wing profiles
. 1 or 2 designs for each of the following; sidepods, air intake, engine cover, floor/diffuser

All parts would fit together in any conceivable combination.

For me time became an issue, life didnt allow me to continue working on my car, if there was a selection of spec parts like this then it would be possible to make changes to your car quickly if you havent got the time to do so because of more important things.
I think that this would be too much... it's a design contest, not a "configuration" contest.

I agree about the time issue: that would be a good reason to keep the rules near to 2014 (F1), so that some elements (wings in high or low DF configuration) could be reused.