will there be a new team in F1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Lycoming
Lycoming

Re: will there be a new team in F1?

If an american manufacturer wants to get into F1, they would buy their way into an existing team, not start one from scratch. It would be an "american" team based in that part of Britain where all the F1 teams are. You don't build an F1 car out of any old road car factory. The facilities required are rather specialized. And if at all possible, you wouldn't base it in the US. Logistical nightmare considering the majority of the races are still in Europe.

Second, I suspect most american car makers would much rather run in something like ALMS/USCR/GrandAm because in those series, you can race what you sell (or at least, something that looks and sounds like what you sell). That's a much better marketing opportunity for them, and it costs a hell of a lot less than an F1 team does.

countersteer
countersteer

Haas does a lot of business in China, India, the UK and, of course, the USA. That being said, it would seem to me that a sponsorship deal would be a better approach. I'm not aware of their sponsorship of any current F1 teams.

Sounds like a good way to destroy a fortune to me....

flynfrog

Lycoming wrote:If an american manufacturer wants to get into F1, they would buy their way into an existing team, not start one from scratch. It would be an "american" team based in that part of Britain where all the F1 teams are. You don't build an F1 car out of any old road car factory. The facilities required are rather specialized. And if at all possible, you wouldn't base it in the US. Logistical nightmare considering the majority of the races are still in Europe.

Second, I suspect most american car makers would much rather run in something like ALMS/USCR/GrandAm because in those series, you can race what you sell (or at least, something that looks and sounds like what you sell). That's a much better marketing opportunity for them, and it costs a hell of a lot less than an F1 team does.
and you can watch those races without a huge pain in the ass like F1

raymondu999

I wonder though - if an American manufacturer was to enter F1, how would they fare? The US sports car industry is built upon engines, not so much handling
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

FW17

flynfrog wrote:
Lycoming wrote:If an american manufacturer wants to get into F1, they would buy their way into an existing team, not start one from scratch. It would be an "american" team based in that part of Britain where all the F1 teams are. You don't build an F1 car out of any old road car factory. The facilities required are rather specialized. And if at all possible, you wouldn't base it in the US. Logistical nightmare considering the majority of the races are still in Europe.

and you can watch those races without a huge pain in the ass like F1

But you will be the only one watching it :D
countersteer wrote:
Sounds like a good way to destroy a fortune to me....
Smart people don't spend their own money, they use their name to get other people to spend.

If Haas does get in there i guess they will get the support of Honda as Mclaren just will not have the same visibility in the US
Last edited by FW17 on 17 Jan 2014, 12:18, edited 2 times in total.

Moxie
Moxie

I have mixed feelings. I would love to see an American team at the most elite, technically advanced level of racing. But I am afraid this will be just another case of a rich guy with a big ego being suckered into the F1 Ponzi scheme.

Now assuming all of the woes of F1 are magically fixed....

Pabst blue ribbon sponsorship??? :mrgreen:
STP livery??? or perhaps Brumos livery??? :mrgreen:

iotar__

"On the morning of June 19, 2006, Haas was arrested by IRS agents for investigation of filing false tax returns, witness intimidation, and conspiracy. Four others were indicted together with Haas.
Haas initially pled not guilty, but after all four of the co-indicted plead guilty and just before his case was to go to trial, a plea agreement was reached with Haas pleading guilty on one count."

Good fit, he should feel right at home in F1 :wink: , plus you can lie and deny everything when caught red-handed (Dennis/McLaren).

Moxie
Moxie

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/20/busin ... .html?_r=0

Yep, gotta think you are right about that one. Americas financial crooks can compete with the best financial crooks in the world. I'll change my tune now.

Go get 'em tiger...do America proud!!!

Holm86

I would love to see an american team which operates out of america as well and dont have their base in the UK just like everybody else. I think the sport would gain much with an american team and i think it would create a bigger interest in F1 in america.

Racer X

I think a team from the US could do good if they wanted to.
I mean even if they just buy engines from HONDA like McLaren.

Because NASSCAR really is dying down the big networks for want to buy NAss races at such a high price with video game sales such as Forza and GT young Americans have a liking toward technical driving not circle left turn and let's see who can crash less racing..
Besides NBC maid a huge investment in F1 I doubt they will let this opportunity slip if an American team signs on I can see some NBC sponsorship.

Besides names like COCA COLA or Dorritos I mean there are just so many.
T Mobil is big in the US and has markets in other places this just isn't something that I think is a bad idea.

I think it's going to happen Bernie will let them got it a go just because it has potential and it's on them if they loose money.
Yes we could end up with a new HRT but we could end up with a new Force India..
What if they compete well in the midfield.

An American manufacturer might not come with them but the fact an American team is trying to get in is a reality.

I'm glad to see them try I enjoyed HRT they were fun to watch their car updates were legendary......
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

iotar__

Holm86 wrote:I would love to see an american team which operates out of america as well and dont have their base in the UK just like everybody else. I think the sport would gain much with an american team and i think it would create a bigger interest in F1 in america.
I'd like to see another strong team in F1 American or not but why country where its base is should be important? For idealogical and not practical reasons? This one goes back to USF1 - justification was Windshear and marketing. I don't know if Haas is going for this a bit of flag waving angle but Mercedes got away with implanting silver arrows legacy to Honda F1 factory so why can't they? I'd be surprised if they prefer to build from scratch instead of buying. If Sauber after Russian deal is unavailable than Marussia would make more sense. [I don't know about financial part.]

FW17

Racer X wrote: Besides names like COCA COLA or Dorritos I mean there are just so many.
T Mobil is big in the US and has markets in other places this just isn't something that I think is a bad idea.
No one has mentioned............(drives for Haas)
Last edited by FW17 on 17 Jan 2014, 15:13, edited 2 times in total.

SectorOne

USA is a bit of a bubble in many ways. The rest of the world is fairly consistent among sports and whatnot but USA has many different sports you pretty much don´t see anywhere else. (NASCAR, Baseball, Am, Football etc)

For that reason i don´t think you´ll ever really be able to turn USA into an F1 country in the same way Europe* lives and breaths Formula 1.
In ancient times the middle east was the center of the earth but today you can argue that it is USA so to try and influence that from the outside will be a massive challenge.

I don´t think building racetracks and have raceteams will change anything in the bigger picture.
I think the real push will be an American world champion. A hero the people can get behind in a way.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

FW17

:?
SectorOne wrote:USA is a bit of a bubble in many ways. The rest of the world is fairly consistent among sports and whatnot but USA has many different sports you pretty much don´t see anywhere else. (NASCAR, Baseball, Am, Football etc)

For that reason i don´t think you´ll ever really be able to turn USA into an F1 country in the same way Europe* lives and breaths Formula 1.
In ancient times the middle east was the center of the earth but today you can argue that it is USA so to try and influence that from the outside will be a massive challenge.

I don´t think building racetracks and have raceteams will change anything in the bigger picture.
I think the real push will be an American world champion. A hero the people can get behind in a way.

I think you overestimate F1. It has a reach of about 30 -40 million people. F1 is not trying to eat into Nascar market which will never happen, just trying to get the same amount of viewers as Canada.

SectorOne

WilliamsF1 wrote:I think you overestimate F1. It has a reach of about 30 -40 million people. F1 is not trying to eat into Nascar market which will never happen, just trying to get the same amount of viewers as Canada.
Just like Canada you say? Ok then let´s look at the population of both countries.

35 million people in Canada.
316 million people in USA.

You can already see that getting the same viewers from both these countries is by definition a failure in USA.
It´s just a speck of the people in USA.

1 million viewers in Canada means 2% of the population watching F1.
1 million viewers in USA means 0.3% of the population watching F1.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"