Rear wing Ferrari

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
cava
cava

Rear wing Ferrari

Look at those cuts at the topcorners of the rearwing. Are those legal? The topspeed at the end of the straight was very high for both Ferrari's compared with the other teams.

Steven
Owner

yes these are legal.
The point of the anti-bending rear wing regulations was to prevent these parts breaking off under high stress. Therefore the FIA puts a high load on the rear wing and that wing may not bend more than a limited amount of milimeters. When Ferrari has this correct, then they are perfectly allowed to drive.

Note that I have already noticed and explained this in the technical review of Interlagos. There yet these cut-outs were there on the F2002. Nothing new in fact, and I would not say that this would cause them more than 3 km/h difference... apparently they have optimised the F2003-GA very well to reduce air resistance 8)

Mini Bernie
Mini Bernie

It's legal, but there is room to question...

I think it was last year that McClaren asked for clarification at interlagos,
over alledged flexible wing profiles,
the FIA test is for the entire rear wing structure, and if the wing flexes over 50cm from the centre line of the rear wheels, it outside of the allowed dimensions, and hence illegal, an easy way to dan movable aero devices,
however if an individual wing profile flexes under load, there are no tests looking for it, thats why these small cuts at the edge are so interesting, because they allow, the centre of the profile to flex backwards, and reduce the drag.

cheers

ced ampo
ced ampo

Re: Rear wing Ferrari

If it raced, then it's allowed

Kester
Kester

Re: Rear wing Ferrari

Thread necromancy wasn't really needed here.