Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AnthonyG

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

Does the engine even have a revlimiter? Since theu only run it at 12.000 while 15.000 is allowed.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

beelsebob
beelsebob

AnthonyG wrote:Does the engine even have a revlimiter? Since theu only run it at 12.000 while 15.000 is allowed.
It does have a rev limiter, but as you point out, it's typically a very long way away from where they're reving to.

Juzh

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

beelsebob wrote:
Juzh wrote:It was on downshift, and that happens on occasion. Imo the only logical explanation is he downshifted too aggressively and hit rev-limiter which instantly locked rear tires.
It wasn't on downshift, no, it was on the initial application of the brakes.
Was on downshift. Check again his onboard.

Phil

Is it even possible to over-rev the engine? I would think any shifting during the race is done electronically. Also, the gearing would be quite short in a f1 car, so unless he shifts down at very high revs already, i'm not sure how he could buzz the engine in a way that would cause such a long lock up. Maybe if he shifted down twice by mistake, but again i wonder if this is even possible or if there is some fail-safe that avoids this?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

smlbstcbr
smlbstcbr

He made a mistake. End of story. Unless people start jumping around screaming "Cheat!" the same way they did with Rosberg's mistake in Monaco.

Gaz.
Gaz.

Phil wrote:Is it even possible to over-rev the engine? I would think any shifting during the race is done electronically. Also, the gearing would be quite short in a f1 car, so unless he shifts down at very high revs already, i'm not sure how he could buzz the engine in a way that would cause such a long lock up. Maybe if he shifted down twice by mistake, but again i wonder if this is even possible or if there is some fail-safe that avoids this?
The drivers have said before that you can pre-select a downshift but it won't happen until the engine is below a certain point in the rev range.

I've seen fluffed downshifts lock up rear wheels in modified RV8 TVR's running high compression ratios but that was a result of too low revs locking the wheels of a car with no downforce on road tyres at low speed - it's pretty much the exact opposite situation. I've also heard of someone buzzing the engine of a 996TT by downshifting to 3rd instead of 5th but instead of the tyres locking, the camchain snapped and the engine turned itself into scrap.

iirc Vettel had a similar spin in Bahrain winter testing.
Forza Jules

Juzh

Vettels spin in bahrain was because of braking failure, not driver error.

adrianjordan

Juzh wrote:Vettels spin in bahrain was because of braking failure, not driver error.
Exactly...which is why that was brought up...to support Hamilton's spin also being due to brake failure.

Seriously guys, Coulthard said in the coverage that it's almost impossible to lock the rears without also locking the fronts if it's driver error...and the fronts were moving freely...and if it was driver error, why wouldn't he have released the pedal and just run a little wide?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

basti313
basti313

adrianjordan wrote:
Juzh wrote:Vettels spin in bahrain was because of braking failure, not driver error.
Exactly...which is why that was brought up...to support Hamilton's spin also being due to brake failure.

Seriously guys, Coulthard said in the coverage that it's almost impossible to lock the rears without also locking the fronts if it's driver error...and the fronts were moving freely...and if it was driver error, why wouldn't he have released the pedal and just run a little wide?
No. Front brakes not on temperature, rear tires not on temp, break bias accidentally wrong, break bias more aggressive on purpose...
There are many ways to lock up the rears like that. As they did not repair the car in parc ferme, there was no defect.
Don`t russel the hamster!

adrianjordan

basti313 wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:

No. Front brakes not on temperature, rear tires not on temp, break bias accidentally wrong, break bias more aggressive on purpose...
There are many ways to lock up the rears like that. As they did not repair the car in parc ferme, there was no defect.
I find it more probable that there was a software glitch that caused the rears to lock under energy harvesting and could be easily reset in parc ferme or even by the driver in the cockpit than that they sent Hamilton out with the wrong brake bias, brakes not up to temp AND tyres not up to temp...these guys are professionals you know.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

slimfitcasual

Red Bull BURN. :twisted:
Per ardua ad astra

Cam

No mention of Hamilton and his great 2nd place finish from 9th on the grid? That's going to set the fan boys off.

Edit: nice burn too.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Phil

Gaz. wrote:The drivers have said before that you can pre-select a downshift but it won't happen until the engine is below a certain point in the rev range.

I've seen fluffed downshifts lock up rear wheels in modified RV8 TVR's running high compression ratios but that was a result of too low revs locking the wheels of a car with no downforce on road tyres at low speed - it's pretty much the exact opposite situation. I've also heard of someone buzzing the engine of a 996TT by downshifting to 3rd instead of 5th but instead of the tyres locking, the camchain snapped and the engine turned itself into scrap.

iirc Vettel had a similar spin in Bahrain winter testing.
Thanks. That's exactly what my assumption had been to. You actually don't have to go very far to see fluffed downshifts and locked rear wheels... A couple of years back, I nearly crashed a Lotus by downshifting agressively ahead of a corner and let the clutch slip which caused an instant lockup of the rears. I was still naive to any concept of heel & toe shifting back then. Also, a fellow mate who owned the same car experienced an engine failure by selecting 1st gear instead of 3rd on the race track and buzzed te engine. Go figure... (and don't asked how hard he must have forced the gear into position to actually get it in there). Anyway, that's all with a mechanical driver controlled clutch and gearbox.

Shifting with paddleshift where the clutch is controlled electronically, automatically matches revs on downshifts and failsaves when revs are too low or high, this shouldn't happen.

I do have an idea how the lock up might have occured though:

Various reports suggest that the Austrian track was quite bumpy. Following the season so far and how the Mercedes (as others, I'm sure) agressively harvest energy on the rears, they might still be running quite a rear-ward (relatively speaking) brake-bias - or pretty close to the limit where under more extreme braking conditions, the fronts may lock up just ahead of the rears.

During qualifying, the car is at its lightest with arguably the highest engine setting, so you will also have the highest stopping power during that session (compared to the race). Imagine coming over a bump at these speeds, while under braking when the entire weight of the car shifts to the front and there's less friction on the rears. Running a (relatively speaking again) rear-ward brake-bias and this could be enough to lock the rears ahead of the fronts enough to cause a loss of control. Especially if you're on corner entry at the same time and the lock-ups of the rears will cause the whole car to spin (if the fronts were locked too, the car would just slide forward)

If this is the case, I don't think the driver is much at fault - just an unfortunate chain of events magnified by a bump and the strong harvesting of energy on the rears (that results in quite a bit of braking force at the rears). Also, would not be really reproducable during the race, since the cars are running quite a lot heavier, so less chance of locking the rears than when using a significantly lighter and quicker car as is the case in qualifying.

Just my 2 cents.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

WaikeCU

Still think the team won't let them race until they have secured the Constructors Championship. The team only thinks of that while the drivers are more biased towards the WDC. As soon they have sealed the Constructors Championship, I wonder if they still will share data and if they then unleash their drivers and let them do what they want in terms of engine settings, etc. But then, will it not be too late? For the team it's a Win-Win situation anyway.
Last edited by WaikeCU on 24 Jun 2014, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.

De Jokke

How many more races to seal the deal (wcc)? 5-7 ?
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!