Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

Cocles wrote:Wanted to jump in here quickly as I wanted to put this down in writing before qualifying.

<snip>
=D>

Very well said. I just wish Brawn was here (no disrespect to Paddy). If the car turns out to be what's expected of it (regular contender for race wins, at least), it's not fair that he (Ross) shouldn't be able to share in the joy. He pretty much masterminded the thing.

Nod to our old veteran Norbert too. I feel he had to fall on his sword after the W03 debacle, while the W04 was a very good car.

To be pragmatic, we don't know what promises were made to the Daimler mothership, but I do feel the board were a bit too impatient. They literally needed to wait a few months for the W04 to arrive.

But hey, water under the bridge. Onwards and upwards and let Paddy do what Paddy does.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

Kiril Varbanov

He may be playing mind games or not, but he thinks Merc will not dominate. Costa: Red Bull will be competitive and the Renault engine has remarkable performance - http://autosprint.corrieredellosport.it ... emo/13990/

Highlights:

“We have seen the progress that Red Bull made between the Bahrain test and the first race — they were much more competitive than they were in winter testing.

“This gives an indication of how fast progress and the resolution of problems is in Formula 1.”

“And it may well be that in a few grands prix many other teams will be at a good level."
we have GPS data, so I think everyone can see that, when it’s running at full power, the Renault engine has remarkable performance.

“So probably their deficit at this time is that they cannot maintain this level of performance throughout a race because of temperature, or fatigue.

“But I think that this is a problem that will gradually be solved.”

Anon123
Anon123

Did he mention fuel efficiency? because that's obviously a big factor.
Last edited by Steven on 25 Mar 2014, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove quoted post right above

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

Great result today with the first 1-2 since the fifties. =D>
Also nice seeing Paddy Lowe aknowledging the work Ross Brawn has done over the past few years. :wink:

Ps: Gotta love it when all the haters come out to display their unhappiness. They must be worried =D> :mrgreen:
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Yes i think it was Aldo Costa that designed the W05 chassis.

=D>

elMaestro
elMaestro

Why was Nico so bad today compared to Lewis ? Maybe a wrong setup or what ?

Anon123
Anon123

elMaestro wrote:Why was Nico so bad today compared to Lewis ? Maybe a wrong setup or what ?
It was a big gap but I felt it coming, Lewis seemed to have an easier time managing the car in practice with Lewis simply being told to slow down as opposed to Nico who was being told to lift and coast. I think last year did a lot for Nico's reputation but I expect Lewis to get more out of the W05 this year.

marcush.
marcush.

The_Truth wrote:I was wondering if Aldo Costas is the main responsible of the F1 W05 chassis. Can anyone give me this information please?
the Cars Development Starts in typical Automotive Style at a concept. When Geoff Willis came on Board he took over that Part of Car Design.
Costa is more into the Detail Aspects of it and took over Geoffs work for the w05 early in 2013 .

Who has more influence or is more important we don't know ..Maybe it is Bob Bell who is the Overall responsible Technical Director After all....

But ,finally W05 is what W01 should have been - a competent and competitive machine .Whatever DAIMLER aquired at the end of 2009 it was not what they had thought it was.Good to see them on Track now .

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Rosberg and Vettel after the race talking german translated:

V: Did you have a problem in the middle of the race, because suddenly you were just pewwwwsch gone.
R: I feel like im stressing the tires too much and wearing them down too quickly.
V: at the start of the race?
R: yeah at the beginning.
V: ... you were just too fast, couldnt keep up.
R: did you give up? smirk
V: No, I wasnt giving up!

tranquility2k4
tranquility2k4

The new nose again in that image?

By the way, Toto said on AMuS that:

"We have a few things we would like to bring in Bahrain. Whether we do it, is not entirely clear. "

That to me suggests they want to bring the new nose but it depends if it passes a crash test before?

Helios

Well done Mercedes, well done. Who would have thought the move to Mercedes would pay off the way it does for Hammy? At McLaren it would have been two more years wasting his talent, at Mercedes he has got a chance to win the WDC. Finally they're in the place they belong to, it was about high time.

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

tranquility2k4 wrote:The new nose again in that image?

By the way, Toto said on AMuS that:

"We have a few things we would like to bring in Bahrain. Whether we do it, is not entirely clear. "

That to me suggests they want to bring the new nose but it depends if it passes a crash test before?
I cant tell if its different.

Burgess
Burgess

The nose itself is further back on the wing? Or is it just the angle?

Harvey
Harvey

Does anybody else find it amusing that Merc have a major sponsor in Blackberry but all the shots of team members on phones (the drivers taking pictures at the big Petronas PR event in KL, Lauda on the phone immediately after the race) show them using the latest iPhone!? :lol: