Ferrari F2006

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
bernard
bernard

Interesting that slit in the sidepod flickup. Renault has a similar solution, but their version is a separate layer on top of the flick up, instead of a hole in it.
Not sure if this is for the purpose of giving downforce, whereas the Renault version is a plain and straight airfoil in a place where the turbulence won't affect the overall aerodynamics.

And when I look at that rear end I can't help but hink that someone ripped a page out of the Mclaren book. The airbox, the rear cut, the shelf wing, sidepods etc.
Right?
Not that copying Mclaren's aero would be a bad thing. After all, they only had the best aerodynamics last season.
I find the rearwing interesting. Only the upper element has a droop. That's a strange solution. Unless they wanted to keep the wing as high from the airbox as possible, and still have a high angle of attack in the middle section. The perfect compromise. :P
Not as strange as the renault solution, though.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

bernard wrote:Interesting that slit in the sidepod flickup. Renault has a similar solution, but their version is a separate layer on top of the flick up, instead of a hole in it.
Not sure if this is for the purpose of giving downforce, whereas the Renault version is a plain and straight airfoil in a place where the turbulence won't affect the overall aerodynamics.
Its just to re-energise the flow beneath the flip up.

Kinda like a double slotted flap on an aircraft.

bernard
bernard

kilcoo316 wrote:
bernard wrote:Interesting that slit in the sidepod flickup. Renault has a similar solution, but their version is a separate layer on top of the flick up, instead of a hole in it.
Its just to re-energise the flow beneath the flip up.

Kinda like a double slotted flap on an aircraft.
Good point. :-k Much appreciated.

CCRomeo

Day 1 of testing - Fiorano - 16th January 22:39pm GMT

Circuit: Fiorano track, 2.976 km - short course 1.413 km
Driver: Michael Schumacher
Car: project code number 657
Weather: air temperature 0°C, track temperature 0/1 °C. Overcast.

The car which Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro will use to contest the 2006 Formula 1 World Championship made its debut this morning at the Fiorano circuit. It goes by the project code of 657.

Michael Schumacher did 51 laps over the course of the day, the quickest in a time of 59"569.

Development testing of the car resumes on Friday 20th January, at this same track, weather permitting.

CCRomeo

manchild
manchild

That is all very nice but rear end is gonna end up like on sister car - the RB2.
Just look the ammount of heat shield/cover they used in the middle of the winter!

DaveKillens wrote:The mirrors are pushed way out on the sidepods, where they actually give the driver a decent view of what's happening behind him. They are actually more practical than obligatory.
The side-view mirrors are a radical departure from the norm. I like it, It looks to allow some cleaner airflow to the rear wing (plus being able to check out the rear tyre wear, although it should be less of an issue this year).

It looks like the base of the airbox inlet is a little bit smaller compared to last year. Making it look more diamond shaped.

Also, does anybody think that the front wing mounts are a smoothed with a fillet to the chassis. This looks to be alot less draggy than it was last year.

The sidepods look ok, but I like the RB2 in this area, although, they had to do some cuts in the bodywork for ventilation, which is not a good sign.

From the side, Micheal looks really low in the chassis. Also, the sculpting around his helmet and the bodywork look much smoother and more tightly integrated than last year.

There is a huge reduction in bodywork around the engine, and the exhaust is quite short (corresponding to higher rpm resonance effects). We should see this engine revving to 20,000rpm like the cosworth v8. What fun!

There looks like some spoilers on the hubs as well. Not sure what they're doing there, they might be air inlets appart from the brake ducts.

The hole in the sidepod flickup is to keep the flow attached to the rear of the flickup. It's very similar to dual-plane wings but probably a bit stiffer structurally, since the flickups tend to be flimsy.

The car looks good but for the front wing. blech.

dumrick
dumrick

manchild wrote:That is all very nice but rear end is gonna end up like on sister car - the RB2.
Just look the ammount of heat shield/cover they used in the middle of the winter!
I'm not sure that is what those black panels are about. In the sidepod, there seems to be add-on bodyparts to allow for further experimenting in the chimney area. In the back, it could be the same case, they probably want to try different setups for cooling (grills, no grills, different rear openings...).

But I hope you are right!!! :wink:

Spencifer_Murphy

as much as I wish it was heat sheilding, I think that the black parts are ones which are interchangeable, were different varients are currently still being tested...the balck makes it hard to see the slight differences.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Cyco
Cyco

TV

I have a very brief video of this on track, not at full speed though.

Catch me on MSN or PM if you want it - unless I'm missing a really obvious way to attach it in the forum.

fwa2500

man.....im liking this years car......looks badass :D

i think the black bits look bood, i dont care what they are, i just like the red/black combo :lol:

man....i wish there were less sponsor names plastered on the cars and car #s you could actually read when the car flies past......williams has the right idea on thiers, but i want them bigger like they used to be.....like this:

ya, i do know most of the drivers by thier helmets, but its so hard to tell on TV whos who.....

anyway, it does looks very sexy in plain blood red 8)

Spencifer_Murphy

just wondering....is that picture of the Lotus turbine car (I think it was the 56B)???

manchild
manchild

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:just wondering....is that picture of the Lotus turbine car (I think it was the 56B)???
Yeah, Lotus 56B R1 Pratt & Whitney :wink:

Spencifer_Murphy

oh kool....lol what an ingeneious...but rather strange, car!

monkeyboy1976
monkeyboy1976

Lotus 56B Pratt & Whitney STN76 turbine. A marvellous Chapman experiment. :D
Only did a few GPs as it was very fragile and too heavy. Most promise was it's entry with Aussie Dave Walker in the Race of Champions at Zandvoort in 1970. On a wet track, the four wheel drive system came into it's own and he went from 22nd to 10th in 5 laps from the start. He then dropped it off into the barriers :shock: .
Entered about 3 GPs in 1971 with much failure.
I wish the rules in F1 today allowed this sort of thing.
I have often thought that their should be parallel formula to F1 where there is scope for experimentation. Oh well. :(