Ferrari F2006

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
schumiGO

Hi all mates!!

Reali coool car!! But I have big question)))

Ehat is new part a little bit upper then front upper wishbones??

It comes from upper part of Connecting point (wheel and upper front wishbones)

schumiGO

manchild
manchild

Like many other “mysterious” gadgets seen on F1 cars during testing those things on F2006 are probably some heat sensors or IR cameras.

They had this thing last year, it has some holes in it but it also has an Aerodynamic profile - so either cooling or mockup.

GTO

Brake Cooling

Hi SchumiGO,
these front wheel 'ears' were indeed seen on the F2005. According to Formula1.com "a tiny, wing-like structure inside the top of the front-brake cooling drum. Two horizontal holes (blue arrows) allow air circulation, almost like small air intakes for the brake callipers. As the structure turns with the wheel it also acts as a mobile winglet, providing a small but constant increase in front grip. Its overall width is 12cm, the maximum allowed for brake air intakes. Another change is the holes in the edge of the brake disc, which now run across the edge rather than along it, with each an 'eight' shape rather than oval. These changes improve thermal heat exchange through the disc's side walls."

http://www.formula1.com/insight/technic ... 3/116.html

They are quite ingenious aerodynamic solution to replace the traditional air scoops.

manchild
manchild

Oh right. I've completely forgotten about that.

BTW, the link is http://www.formula1.com/insight/technic ... 3/128.html

isnt there some regulation against "moving aero devices"? Wouldnt that be a violation if it rotates with the brake assembly?

allan
allan

hey
i've just read that ferrari are going to change to V keel front suspension setup((italian magazine))
any information about that?

monkeyboy1976
monkeyboy1976

F2006 with V-Keel: I read that in Autosport last night also. Unfortunately, the pics available so far of the F2006 don't really show it.

ginsu
ginsu

isnt there some regulation against "moving aero devices"? Wouldnt that be a violation if it rotates with the brake assembly?
I think this is illegal too, but in an additional aspect, because I thought you could only mount wings to 'suspended' parts of the car. There's a huge advantage to attaching a wing directly to the wheel hub.

Instead of having the wing work against the suspension it works directly on the wheel and makes it stick to road. Also, because the wheels turn, the wing then turns into the wind (which definitely counts as a moveable aerodynamic device). Especially because you now get better grip going around corners because the wing is heading directly into the wind instead of at a 'sideslip' like the front wing. This gives Ferrari a huge advantage.
I love to love Senna.

dumrick
dumrick

Its overall width is 12cm, the maximum allowed for brake air intakes
That's the answer. They have designed it in order to fall inside the "brake air intake" area. This way, it is not illegal. Concerning the spirit of the law, true is that brake intakes have extensively been used in the past in conjunction with front wings to provide downforce, so that's not new.
Last edited by dumrick on 20 Jan 2006, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

scarbs
scarbs

Both McLaren and toyota have also run similar ducts albeit lower down the upright

Spencifer_Murphy

didnt williams run ducts like that below the main cooling scoop a year or two ago??? I thought they used them to cool the caliper.
It doesnt rotate with the wheels assembly...it stays static. Also its not an aero-device its just a brake device shaped for optimum aerodynamics...like any other cooling duct.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

I know the device is static, but what I meant is that it rotates with the "steering" axis of the wheels (I guess thats what youd call it), rather than the central rotation of the wheel.

Absolutely crazy and illegal thought here, but wouldnt it be interesting if the front wing turned with the steering?

ginsu
ginsu

It would a great advantage if the front wing moved with the steering wheel. Mainly because of the 'sideslip' issue I brought up before. F1 wings cars are not built to take advantage of the airflow during a turn (i.e. they lose downforce during cornering).
As the structure turns with the wheel it also acts as a mobile winglet, providing a small but constant increase in front grip.
I don't see how this cannot be considered an aerodynamic device. It obviously helps improve the grip. It can only do this by working the air flowing past it. It is using the air to create grip.
I love to love Senna.