Ferrari F2006

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
allan
allan

Ferrari was back on track today at the Fiorano circuit to continue shaking down the team's 2006 car. It was Massa's first time behind the wheel of the new car code-named 657. The Brazilian completed a total of 83 laps, the quickest in a time of 58.244s. It was a sunny, but cold day at the team's home circuit, air temperature reached just five degrees Centigrade.
i think that time was damn goood!!!!!!!!
that's about 1 second slower than the F2005 with a V10

Apex
Apex

Well I can't think why there should be a rule about the shape of a brake duct... If the other teams dont maximise each and every component thats their own problem and lack of insight.

If you argue that the ferrari ducts give downforce and therefore may have structural problems linked to this aspect then I ask you to prove that all the other break ducts have zero lift!

Apex
Apex

oh yes, lets not forget about the downforce provided by wishbones.

manchild
manchild

I don't think that this Ferrari gadget provides any down force except a bit stability perhaps.
Same goes for wishbones or TV camera case at top of the car. All of them are neutral - top has identical shape as bottom and it creates no lift or downforce. FIA reg. are very strict about that.

doc
doc

allan wrote:hey
i've just read that ferrari are going to change to V keel front suspension setup((italian magazine))
any information about that?
Which italian mag did you get that info from?

allan
allan

actually doc i don't know which italian magazine, because i read it in a topic in theprancinghorse.co.uk but, i think they mentioned Autosport as well :wink:

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Apex wrote:oh yes, lets not forget about the downforce provided by wishbones.
Uhm, I think the wishbones on the front suspension actually create lift as they straighten and condition the wake from the front wing for passing over the rest of the car.

manchild wrote:I don't think that this Ferrari gadget provides any down force except a bit stability perhaps.
Same goes for wishbones or TV camera case at top of the car. All of them are neutral - top has identical shape as bottom and it creates no lift or downforce. FIA reg. are very strict about that.
Unfortunately, this can all change if the wing hits the air at a negative angle of attack, which we simply can't determine from the pictures. It looks like they have no angle of attack, but it could have a couple of degrees (really imperceptible) or so and that would create some downforce.

Code: Select all

[quote]i've just read that ferrari are going to change to V keel front suspension setup((italian magazine)) 
any information about that?[/quote]

I've read this too. I knew they would do it. V-Keel seems like the best compromise regarding structural stability and aerodynamic frontal area. 

On the V-Keel, the suspension mounting point is down low (optimal suspension geometry for roll, camber curves, etc), but the mounting point is fully triangulated (hence the 'V') so it is very strong. As for aerodynamics, the V allows air to flow through it so it can feed the underside of the car and improve the downforce.  

CCRomeo

NEW FERRARI SHOWS ITS COLOURS
Last Updated: Tuesday, 24, January, 2006, 10:44

Ferrari has officially unveiled its new F248 challenger to the world at the team's 2006 launch in Mugello on Tuesday morning.

The team hopes that the new car, which was demonstrated around the Italian track by Michael Schumacher, can bring it back to winning ways after a year in the doldrums.

Ferrari suffered a disastrous 2005 campaign which saw it win only once, in the ill-fated US Grand Prix at Indianapolis.

So technical director Ross Brawn, chief designer Aldo Costa and old hand Rory Byrne have gone back to the drawing board with the 248 F1, which shows a fundamental departure from the team's recent design philosophy.

Principally, the new car features a V-keel front suspension similar to that used on last year's championship-winning Renault R24.

There are several other detailed aerodynamic changes on the car including lower tighter sidepods that are hollowed at the rear, fixed forward pointing mirror stands, shorter exhaust pipes and a new centrally mounted rear-wing.

The team has also decided to continue with its centrally mounted, sprung, mini-wing at the front.

Schumacher was the first man to drive the new car at the team's Fiorano test track last week, but his new team-mate Felipe Massa has also completed 84 laps in it last Friday.

CCRomeo

Ferrari 248 F1 Launch: A completely new car

The traditional press conference held at the presentation of the new single-seater that will compete in the Formula 1 world championship began with the engineers who have developed the car over the past months: Aldo Costa, Ross Brawn and Rory Byrne.

Byrne opened and underlined how his role in the company was changing. He was progressively filling a consultancy role for all the new House of Maranello projects and, in particular, regarding the engineering of the cars.

Then came Aldo Costa, creator of the 248 F1, to reflect on Byrne's role and the characteristics of the car in detail. He declared that: "It was mainly to do with the V8 engine and we imposed a radical change from both a mechanical and aerodynamic point of view. The aerodynamics are still at a preliminary stage and will be until the first race of the season.

"As regards the chassis, this is totally new, above all in the centre section. We decided on this in order to optimise the weight distribution and lighten the entire structure.The same goes for the suspension, especially in the completely redesigned rear end.

"The transmission too is all new (though constructed from composite materials) and also the differeential. In building these two new elements in particular, we had to pay close attention to the characterisitcs of the V8. The greater vibrations generated by the engine brought more initial problems".

The gathered journalists then asked questions to which Brawn replied that "from the midway point of last season when we realised we could not challenge for the top spots, we began concentrating more on development, especially the blend of the aerodynamic configuration and the characteristics of the new V8. Despite the progress that the Bridgestone tyres have made with the reintroduction of tyre changes, we expect to see lap times that are a second or two slower than last year".

In conclusion, and related again to the tyre issue, Brawn responded to newsprint journalists and emphasised how having Bridgestones this year would be an advantage as they will supply four teams. Now the Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro would be able to compare development and the progress being made with other Bridgestone teams".

racingmaniacgt1
racingmaniacgt1

The little winglet/brake duct thing can easily have an angle of attack associate to it when it is steered with the caster angle built in to the steering....

Apex
Apex

Unfortunately, this can all change if the wing hits the air at a negative angle of attack, which we simply can't determine from the pictures. It looks like they have no angle of attack, but it could have a couple of degrees (really imperceptible) or so and that would create some downforce.
Finally someone who speaks sense! Thanks Guest!

Seems to me that 90% of the people on this forum can see air pressures and flow!

248 has not run at a group test session yet eh? Judging by the pace of the interim 2004 car with the new V8 the new car should be even faster.....

manchild
manchild

Apex wrote:
Finally someone who speaks sense! Thanks Guest!

Seems to me that 90% of the people on this forum can see air pressures and flow!
They could do that but FIA examins cars after the race so if Ferrari would change angle they'd be caught. It wouldn't be diffrent from cheating at any other part of the car and being caught means disqualificaton and/or additional sanctions.

http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/fiacheck.jpeg

kkobayash

dont know bout you guys, but do you really think FIA would penalise Ferrari?? :?