Mclaren Mercedes 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
akshat21
akshat21

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

KingHamilton01 wrote:Poor weekend for McLaren, I don't know where that mysterious half a second a lap was? because McLaren didn't really show any pace all weekend. Given how quickly Red Bull have moved forward and Ferrari also leaping McLaren I already think this season could be a struggle. Makes me wonder if McLaren really do have the right personnel involved with developing the car or we just need to give it more time.

I hope McLaren have got something good in the pipeline, Because I for one will stop watching if I hear Button carry on saying we don't have enough downforce compared to top team's! anyway still got point's so not all lost, onto the next one at Bahrain.
Button is a bit of a moaner when things aren't perfect for him.

Boullier did say they have more upgrades for Bahrain.

I think they need more time before they are competitive.

ringo

Someone give Hulkenberg a seat in Mclaren and boot Button in 2015!!

I feel this year's car is good, but Button is not extracting the most from it. Look on what Hulk is doing with a ForceIndia it can't be denied that he would show the true performance of an MP4.
Button seems to be in retirement twilight mode and just going with the flow waiting for a dominant car to be made by Mclaren. I hope his contract was 1 year, because they need to replace him before Mclaren becomes another williams.
For Sure!!

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

ringo wrote:Someone give Hulkenberg a seat in Mclaren and boot Button in 2015!!

I feel this year's car is good, but Button is not extracting the most from it. Look on what Hulk is doing with a ForceIndia it can't be denied that he would show the true performance of an MP4.
Button seems to be in retirement twilight mode and just going with the flow waiting for a dominant car to be made by Mclaren. I hope his contract was 1 year, because they need to replace him before Mclaren becomes another williams.
Jb wasn't bad today, it was just nothing exciting but hey what do you expect when you have to lift and coast. He had a solid drive today, typical Jb.

I'le admit i'de rather see Hulk in that other Mclaren, the guy is clearly top level. Mclaren should replace Jb with Hulk next season.
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

I'm also a bit disappointed with MCL. They started development very early last season. For so many years they come up with some 'clever' idea, look strong in testing, and then nothing. JB isn't a bad driver, but he never can make the magic come out of the car. MAG looks he is equaling JB at the moment, that can only get better. You can have a bad year, but they are starting to get sub top team. Looking strong, but not performing strong, I hope they can catch up.

siskue2005

amen

KingHamilton01

I would welcome this if they are both out of contract! McLaren have to throw everything they can at this car, I am curious to know how they lack so much downforce? is this diffuser related, poor rear stability at high speed? I mean surely they know, doubt they will be much better next weekend, here is hoping im wrong!
McLaren Mercedes

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

Please all Mclaren fans don't be too pessimistic, in Bahrain we will be ahead of the Ferraris. Ferrari hasn't put anything on the car since the last two days of testing at the begining of March. And Alonso confirmed that they won't have an upgrade until China, only some specific parts for Raikkonen to have a more friendly car. Mclaren has a new extensive upgrade and Mclaren's upgrade from Sepang will bring real performance in Bahrain, because in the desert, when the sun goes down, the temperatures will drop significantly. The tropical heat and high speed corners, masked the benefit of the upgrade package, but it correlated with the wind tunnel. Both Eric Boullier and Jenson Button confirmed for Autosport that every part they put on mp4-29 since January 2014 has worked:
Button: "This year, so far everything that's come out of the windtunnel, the track has agreed with, which is great."
Boullier: "What we've seen since the Bahrain tests, Melbourne and here, every upgrade we brought is matching the numbers on track, which is a good sign and a good base. So we just need to keep developing and keep working."
And Mclaren will bring upgrades to every race how Red Bull did in the last four years.
Boullier: "We have a further upgrade coming in Bahrain and I think every race we are going to bring something."
Mclaren choose a different strategy to Ferrari, working more on the driveability of the car and good traction, but in the same time in Koln they worked very hard on the aero front. The new nose they had in Sepang was developed and refined by the team since the end of January 2014 => "http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/34118/ ... azionale-/ McLaren: si studia un muso più prestazionale!
Sulla MP4-29 anche se resterà la brutta proboscide, si sta valutando una soluzione più estrema"
Mclaren switched all the resources on mp4-29 very very early. If the car hadn't many updates on the car until Melbourne it was because of the precautionary of the team. A solid base, but in the same time, in the wind tunnel their work is very advanced. No other team except maybe Mercedes will have upgrades for the firts 4 races until China.
Mclaren had in Australia, had in Malaysia, will have in Bahrain and China.
Except Mercedes, all the teams, tried their Melbourne package in the last two days of the tests in Bahrain, but since them they had the same package, and they will have parts only in China (for Ferrari, Williams and Force India it was confirmed). I'm not sure about Mercedes but Mclaren it's the only confirmed team that will have an upgrade package in Bahrain, only 6 days after the Sepang race. This wouldn't be possible only if the development work in the wind tunnel is very advanced, they could not make all the process in just 5-6 days. With 2 upgrade packages (Sepang package will bring the performance in Bahrain, and the new package for Bahrain) we will be ahead of the Ferraris.

j2004p
j2004p

akshat21 wrote:Button is a bit of a moaner when things aren't perfect for him.
A true statement about just about every driver on the F1 grid these days!

willmesquita

I don't from where it was taked but...from TJ13:

As for McLaren, racing boss Eric Boullier was forthright when asked if the British team can close the gap to Mercedes for the start of the European season, when the first major development steps will be made.

“No,” he answered. Is Boullier confident the gap can be closed at all in 2014? “That’s the right question,” he added. “Maybe by Europe next year, yes.

It looks like a pre-giving up to me.

And It's sad.
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

willmesquita

siskue2005 wrote:
amen
amen (2)
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

Pierce89

mclaren_mircea wrote:Please all Mclaren fans don't be too pessimistic, in Bahrain we will be ahead of the Ferraris. Ferrari hasn't put anything on the car since the last two days of testing at the begining of March. And Alonso confirmed that they won't have an upgrade until China, only some specific parts for Raikkonen to have a more friendly car. Mclaren has a new extensive upgrade and Mclaren's upgrade from Sepang will bring real performance in Bahrain, because in the desert, when the sun goes down, the temperatures will drop significantly. The tropical heat and high speed corners, masked the benefit of the upgrade package, but it correlated with the wind tunnel. Both Eric Boullier and Jenson Button confirmed for Autosport that every part they put on mp4-29 since January 2014 has worked:
Button: "This year, so far everything that's come out of the windtunnel, the track has agreed with, which is great."
Boullier: "What we've seen since the Bahrain tests, Melbourne and here, every upgrade we brought is matching the numbers on track, which is a good sign and a good base. So we just need to keep developing and keep working."
And Mclaren will bring upgrades to every race how Red Bull did in the last four years.
Boullier: "We have a further upgrade coming in Bahrain and I think every race we are going to bring something."
Mclaren choose a different strategy to Ferrari, working more on the driveability of the car and good traction, but in the same time in Koln they worked very hard on the aero front. The new nose they had in Sepang was developed and refined by the team since the end of January 2014 => "http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/34118/ ... azionale-/ McLaren: si studia un muso più prestazionale!
Sulla MP4-29 anche se resterà la brutta proboscide, si sta valutando una soluzione più estrema"
Mclaren switched all the resources on mp4-29 very very early. If the car hadn't many updates on the car until Melbourne it was because of the precautionary of the team. A solid base, but in the same time, in the wind tunnel their work is very advanced. No other team except maybe Mercedes will have upgrades for the firts 4 races until China.
Mclaren had in Australia, had in Malaysia, will have in Bahrain and China.
Except Mercedes, all the teams, tried their Melbourne package in the last two days of the tests in Bahrain, but since them they had the same package, and they will have parts only in China (for Ferrari, Williams and Force India it was confirmed). I'm not sure about Mercedes but Mclaren it's the only confirmed team that will have an upgrade package in Bahrain, only 6 days after the Sepang race. This wouldn't be possible only if the development work in the wind tunnel is very advanced, they could not make all the process in just 5-6 days. With 2 upgrade packages (Sepang package will bring the performance in Bahrain, and the new package for Bahrain) we will be ahead of the Ferraris.
The Mclaren is just weak on DF. Unless they can produce DF faster than Ferrari and Red Bull, I see no reason that they'll pass those teams except on horsepower tracks.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Holm86

I am pretty sure the unsettling at McLaren with Withmarsh and Perez being sacked, and Ron coming back, has caused the team not to have a full focus on the car during the winter. I recon they should be able to have full focus on developing the car now where the team seems pretty strong. Specially if the correlation between track and tunnel is now pretty correct.

I have strong believes in them developing the car over this season. Hope they will be able to fight the Mercs soon.

FoxHound

@holm

It does not help the team in any way to say that the car will be 0.5 seconds quicker in Malaysia, as Dennis proclaimed.
The turnaround for this team is going to be arduous. Dennis can help here, but he needs to stop with these bold statements, because they raise expectations.
Ultimately, it was a small faux pas from him, but you can bet there will people in Woking that got a grilling on sunday afternoon.
JET set

Richard
Richard

They've a tough job to climb back to the top, that's at least a 2 year job for any team. Admitting that isn't giving up, it's being realistic. I'd say anyone saying they'll catch up with Merc in a matter of months is more dangerous than dealing with the truth.

Competing for a few wins is the best to hope for this season, along with much more operational consistency. Then they have an engine supplier who'll be pretty much new to F1, so that's another 1 or 2 years on the learning curve.

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

FoxHound wrote:@holm

It does not help the team in any way to say that the car will be 0.5 seconds quicker in Malaysia, as Dennis proclaimed.
The turnaround for this team is going to be arduous. Dennis can help here, but he needs to stop with these bold statements, because they raise expectations.
Ultimately, it was a small faux pas from him, but you can bet there will people in Woking that got a grilling on sunday afternoon.
Man you how Ron works? He puts presssure on everybody and if they dont perform....
j2004p wrote:
akshat21 wrote:Button is a bit of a moaner when things aren't perfect for him.
A true statement about just about every driver on the F1 grid these days!
This. Although Jb well known for 'Understeeerr'
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag