Infiniti Red Bull Racing 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Tim.Wright

Re: Infiniti RedBull Racing 2014

Cam wrote:So it's inconceivable to bring 100 versions of a 3d model and print the 'best option' based on test data?

Again. The lack of foresight is astonishing.
Look mate, I'm all up for a technical discussion but if all you're only interested in picking a fight then bugger it.
Not the engineer at Force India

Cam

As an idea, the 'concept' of 3D printing in the future for F1 is sound. Your attempt to discredit that, was flawed. I called you on it.

I answered your 2 points. You gave nothing substantial back except "I'm taking my bat and ball and going home".

And it's you that questioned my mentality?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

djos

Infiniti RedBull Racing 2014

Tim.Wright wrote:The technology is only half the story. You're neglecting my second point. Even if the machines made perfect parts in seconds you still need to give it a part to produce.

Designing a part for manufacture is not the work of an hour. Every part you see on a car now would have been months in development. You can't compress that whole process down so it fits in between FP1 and FP2.
Cam is right, manufacturing replacement parts at the track would make a lot of sense once the tech gets to the right level.

He also didn't specify that they were new designs (but still not a stupid idea), I read his idea as making "replacement parts" for items damaged or worn out.

I Imagine the tech will get to the point where it is more economic to travel around the globe with a single large 3D printer than half a dozen spare noses, front wings, rear wings, engine covers etc etc.
"In downforce we trust"

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Cam wrote:Wow. For a technical forum to have zero foresight is truly appalling. Who said it has to happen tomorrow? Big up vote.
Speaking in platitude's isn't very technical.
Cam wrote:So it's inconceivable to bring 100 versions of a 3d model and print the 'best option' based on test data?

Again. The lack of foresight is astonishing.
And why would you do that? The only logical reason to 3D print yourself a new part between sessions is because you've re-designed the part in that time, if you already have the design, then why not print them before hand? I also don't see how this point applies during a test session, because this 'test data' you speak of would be obtained from wind tunnel and CFD analysis, so if you already have this data, why are you waiting to manufacture the part between sessions. You keep preaching about our lack of foresight, yet you have yet to provide a credible and logical usage of 3D printing during a race weekend, all the while wrapping your posts in self righteous pseudo-intellectualism.
Last edited by Cold Fussion on 01 Jul 2014, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.

Cam

Maybe the CFD and wind tunnel don't correlate? So you bring different versions? That never happens does it?

It was an idea champ. That's all. Can't be done today. Maybe in the future. It's ok you don't believe so, just don't call me delusional for thinking it might be so.
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Cam wrote:Maybe the CFD and wind tunnel don't correlate? So you bring different versions? That never happens does it?
But why would you print them at the track and not back at the factory?

djos

Infiniti RedBull Racing 2014

Cold Fussion wrote:
Cam wrote:Maybe the CFD and wind tunnel don't correlate? So you bring different versions? That never happens does it?
But why would you print them at the track and not back at the factory?
Why carry around spare parts when you can print them quickly?

Cam isn't suggesting this be done with present slow 3D printing tech, but with much more advanced and faster printing tech in the future.

Btw, there's also the accounting for feel, eg many drivers have not liked the way a new front wing feels.
"In downforce we trust"

Cam

How many times have we seen teams turn up with parts that didn't do as expected? A lot. So, wouldn't it be great to have multiple variations of those parts on file that you could quickly print out? Bolt them on and head off to do some laps.

While this is a pipe dream, for the moment, I will bet good money teams would love that ability.

Would you agree?
― Socrates

Cam

Cam wrote: So it's not that far fetched to forward think to solutions....
It's ok djos. I tried to point people back to my original post, but people read what they want. I've given up trying to illustrate that. It was never a factual statement of current 3d technologies, but a theoretical concept for the future. People either skipped it or failed to fully consider it or have a crystal ball, either way, big thumbs up for them eh?
― Socrates

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Cam wrote:How many times have we seen teams turn up with parts that didn't do as expected? A lot. So, wouldn't it be great to have multiple variations of those parts on file that you could quickly print out? Bolt them on and head off to do some laps.

While this is a pipe dream, for the moment, I will bet good money teams would love that ability.

Would you agree?
You still need to have them tested an validated before you bolt them onto the car. You only have a couple hours of testing, you can't keep randomly trying designs in the hope that they work, I don't see why you cannot understand this.
Cam wrote:
It's ok djos. I tried to point people back to my original post, but people read what they want. I've given up trying to illustrate that. It was never a factual statement of current 3d technologies, but a theoretical concept for the future. People either skipped it or failed to fully consider it or have a crystal ball, either way, big thumbs up for them eh?
People have considered your thoughts and have concluded they are unreasonable because they violate good engineering practice. I don't doubt that in the future you will be able to 3D something like a wing in the space of 4 hours, however, I find it infeasible that any design process that can be completed in the space of 4 hours could not have converged to a more optimum solution in a period of months back at the factory.
Last edited by Cold Fussion on 01 Jul 2014, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.

Cam

Ultimately, it doesn't matter why they would want to, it's 'because they can'. It could be for any reason, even some we can't think of right now. Anyway, you don't agree that a technology like that could be an assets to a team. Is ok. I don't think you're delusional for it.
― Socrates

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Cam wrote:Ultimately, it doesn't matter why they would want to, it's 'because they can'. It could be for any reason, even some we can't think of right now. Anyway, you don't agree that a technology like that could be an assets to a team. Is ok. I don't think you're delusional for it.
Because 'they can' is not valid reasoning.

Thunder

Well they could design and CFD the Parts in the Factory, then just Send the File for the Printer to the Track and make Parts. Looking forward to something like that.
But as said this will take a few Years and i don't think there's enough Space for a 3D Printer in Monaco. ^^
Last edited by Thunder on 01 Jul 2014, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

CBeck113
CBeck113

Before this gets out of Hand, maybe you should look at Cam's idea as a part of DOE, in which you can be more flexible in reacting on the results you get on the track and eliminating the risk of parts not working as the windtunnel or simulations suggested. They wouldn't be designing parts on the fly, but show up to the track with CAD files with different designs, all previously simulated, and do the correlation after one or two runs. If successful, they could print out the next, more agressive design and test it as well.
As for designing on the fly, a very gifted engineer (Adrian N. some say :wink: ) would be capable of actually making changes to an existing design in an emergency Situation (i.e. nothing works right), but even he would want to simulate first.
The tech is far from being usable, since the majority of the cars are made of CF, which needs a conclave - not very portable the last time I looked. But a new material could change that too.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

djos

Cam wrote:
Some folks just have 0 imagination!
"In downforce we trust"