Toro Rosso STR9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
aleks_ader

Re: Toro Rosso STR9 Renault

It a bit small that intercooler rad? So they must be same arrangement on the other side?
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

scarbs
scarbs

aleks_ader wrote:It a bit small that intercooler rad? So they must be same arrangement on the other side?
I think all the renault engined cars have split the intercoolers into both sidepods. Merc too, but Ferrari appear to have the intercooler on one side.

Blackout

So twin scroll compressors for the Renault and Merc?

dren

scarbs wrote:
aleks_ader wrote:It a bit small that intercooler rad? So they must be same arrangement on the other side?
I think all the renault engined cars have split the intercoolers into both sidepods. Merc too, but Ferrari appear to have the intercooler on one side.
Is that a weight balance issue, assuming they are air to air intercoolers? Since the Ferrari is rumored to be air to water, the weight balance would be closer between the radiators.
Honda!

scarbs
scarbs

The intercoolers are very thick, about four times that of a water rad, so to have one huge intercooler will take up too much space for the ductwork to be efficienct. Twin scroll turbos are not allowed, the exhaust inlet\air outlets are siamesed before the turbo housing

Blackout

Does that mean the Renault V6 turbo pics are BS? their turbine has a dual entry (are we confounding twin scroll with dual entry?)
Last edited by Blackout on 20 Feb 2014, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

Thunder

The 2 Pipes could still be merged internally before entering the turbine Area.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

From AMUS
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Blackout

Wastegate on top of the turbo ?
Thunders wrote:The 2 Pipes could still be merged internally before entering the turbine Area.
I dont undestand what you mean exactly :oops:

Holm86

Blackout wrote:Wastegate on top of the turbo ?
Yes.

Henning
Henning

I would have thought the teams would prefer the air-to-air (if they are using it) cooler to be the higher and keep the air-to-water lower to help center of gravity.

Maybe it's a packaging issue (what isn't in modern F1?) and the extra pipes to mount the air-to-air cooler high, outweighs the center of gravity benefits.

Have I just answered my own observation?

JDC123
JDC123

Holm86 wrote:
Yes.
I didn't thing these turbo's had a wastegate, and instead the extra exhaust gas flow once the turbo had reached its maximum RPM was used to charge the ERS?

langwadt
langwadt

JDC123 wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
Yes.
I didn't thing these turbo's had a wastegate, and instead the extra exhaust gas flow once the turbo had reached its maximum RPM was used to charge the ERS?
Renault said it is just a safety feature for transients and in case the mgu-h fails

stefan_
stefan_

Winter Testing 2014 - Session 2, Day 4 - Bahrain (22.02.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Blackout

Toro Rosso brings a new bodywork and steals one of my ideas again :mrgreen: : P
Might act like a wing and rely on a lower pressure area for better air axtraction IMO

http://i57.servimg.com/u/f57/14/79/55/26/prjct_19.jpg