Red Bull RB10 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Richard
Richard

Red Bull RB10 Renault

Please remember the car thread is meant for discussion of the actual features of this car. The long standing mantra is "If it is not on the car, then it's not in the thread".

Posts about the car being in the garage or the competence of RB management belong in the respective test or team threads.

henra
henra

Re: Red Bull RB10 Renault

foxmulder_ms wrote:Frankly, I think it is little to do with RB but Renault. All other Renault cars has been abysmal so far.
Indeed this seems to be the case.
Even though everyone is looking with deep concerns at RB, yet at the other Renault Teams the situation looks suspiciously similar. At least there is a clear pattern.
The only thing which surprises me a bit is that they didn't put a large cannon exhaust on the RB10 while during the last years they switched on/off between different sizes when they didn't even have such obvious thermal issues. The performance Impact of these cannon exits should be rather small since they don't really hurt any important aerodynamic device.
This seems to confirm that the issue could be not so much airflow but rather certain components overheating internally due to overload and/or failure caused e.g. by vibration or lacking adjustment.

The car itself appears indeed a bit Basic even no Monkey Seat yet, but that may change before long. I wouldn't read too much into that, yet.
They still have a Front Wing that appears to be aimed at high max DF on the Front and the diffuser with the radius being cut on the sides plus massive Rake on the Rear so it appears Newey is still confident to be able to keep the high expansion Ratio of the underbody/diffuser without stalling or reverse flow.
I'm really curious to see the relative speeds of the cars once the major Gremlins have been sorted out and the true potential will become apparent.

stefan_
stefan_

Winter Testing 2014 - Session 3, Day 1 - Bahrain (27.02.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Shafto
Shafto

stefan_ wrote: Image
sweet lift kit

ecapox

That's so contrary to anything we have seen in many many years. Interesting....

SiLo

That rake is so high. Any ideas how they can actually run it like that and not stall the diffuser?
Felipe Baby!

djos

Red Bull RB10 Renault

SiLo wrote:That rake is so high. Any ideas how they can actually run it like that and not stall the diffuser?
They seal the sides of the floor by generating precise vortices using the front wing.

http://youtu.be/ZlDnd3B1rhs
"In downforce we trust"

BorisTheBlade

I really don't get the reasoning behind the small diffuser skirts. To me it seems counterintuitive. Wouldn't you want to make the skirts as long as possible? Surely a physical seal like a skirt will always be better than using only vortices. What am I missing?

Chuckjr

BorisTheBlade wrote:I really don't get the reasoning behind the small diffuser skirts. To me it seems counterintuitive. Wouldn't you want to make the skirts as long as possible? Surely a physical seal like a skirt will always be better than using only vortices. What am I missing?
Could it be that vortices not only redirect, but actually accelerate the air in the direction the designer wants it to go? Maybe that would be a good reason that vortices may be better than a static piece of carbon?

I remember seeing this action in the front wing video of Webbers car in the rain last year. It was incredible.
Watching F1 since 1986.

djos

Red Bull RB10 Renault

Chuckjr wrote:
BorisTheBlade wrote:I really don't get the reasoning behind the small diffuser skirts. To me it seems counterintuitive. Wouldn't you want to make the skirts as long as possible? Surely a physical seal like a skirt will always be better than using only vortices. What am I missing?
Could it be that vortices not only redirect, but actually accelerate the air in the direction the designer wants it to go? Maybe that would be a good reason that vortices may be better than a static piece of carbon?

I remember seeing this action in the front wing video of Webbers car in the rain last year. It was incredible.
If you can manage the vortices as well as RBR apparently can, then the vortices will channel the air where you want it just as well as a physical appendage.
"In downforce we trust"

Matt Somers
Matt Somers

Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

I call bullsh*t on that rake. There's no way they could possibly run the car like that, I could probably fit my head under there!

They must have raised the ride height for testing or something. Possibly because of the weight of the testing equipment, they didn't want the car to bottom out.

timbo
timbo

Diesel wrote:I call bullsh*t on that rake. There's no way they could possibly run the car like that, I could probably fit my head under there!

They must have raised the ride height for testing or something. Possibly because of the weight of the testing equipment, they didn't want the car to bottom out.
Yeah, it's hard to tell from the picture, but it seems that the splitter is also raised above the ground.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

timbo wrote:
Diesel wrote:I call bullsh*t on that rake. There's no way they could possibly run the car like that, I could probably fit my head under there!

Yeah, it's hard to tell from the picture, but it seems that the splitter is also raised above the ground.
We will have to see in Oz. I'm sure they'll be running some rake, probably similar to the Mercedes, but I very much doubt they'll be running that much :o

It looks more like a monster truck than an F1 car!

DAMNINice

BREAKING NEWS from AMuS about Renault engines..

short version translated:

The deadline for engine suppliers when they have to give the engine to the FIA for Homologation is tonight.

Renault told at the weekend that they have sorted out the biggest problems. But now they have a new topic on the agenda where they wnat to have a delayed deadline by TWO or THREE months!!!

Seems like they are in big trouble.

There are rumors that Jean Todt and Renault president Carlos Ghosn met already to discuss this topic.
BUT. only one Veto by another team in the strategy group (Red Bull, Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus, Williams) will stop the delay.

So this will be very interesting.

source: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 63169.html
REal men play with twins!