Red Bull RB10 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
rowano
rowano

Re: Red Bull RB10 Renault

With the HUGE rake and new quick fix cooling on the side pods, does anyone else think they are trying to cool something very low down and central in the car, maybe batteries? They have already had trouble here before (vibrations....). It seems unlikely they can run so much rake, equally odd that they would be concentrating on aero so much with their fundamental reliability problems, so maybe the high rear if the car is to facilitate a cooling solution in the floor just to get some much needed miles on the car?
Last edited by rowano on 28 Feb 2014, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.

roadie

It could be deeply architectural? The cars are so tightly packaged now that the area that needs additional cooling (if that is the reason for those pipes) could buried down away from traditional airflow? This is purely speculative on my part.

DAMNINice

About the diffuser discussion...
I made a comparison pic of W05 and RB10...

what do you think?

REal men play with twins!

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

djos wrote:That isn't for cooling, that is to vent fluid or gases when something goes wrong (eg battery failures) .... All IMO of course.
Then why is one mechanic holding a blower to that hole? Might be coincidental picture, but it doesn't look like that, to me it looks like he is intentionally blowing the hole.

turbof1

Nice comparison. Mercedes clearly has a lower ride height. I believe the rake is comparable or perhaps a bit bigger on the red bull.
#AeroFrodo

emmepi27
emmepi27

Red Bull has silicium ring like Ferrari on the rim's inner surface (ph Amus)
You can see here too:
http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Red ... 758509.jpg

ps: they have from last year

jagunx51

DAMNINice wrote:About the diffuser discussion...
I made a comparison pic of W05 and RB10...

what do you think?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bhjo3uKCMAAOkhN.jpg:large
............!!!!

basti313
basti313

Postmoe wrote:This pic is just crazy. For me, it implies that they can't deal with some type of overheating with the conventional inlets, and that probably the part they try to cool is deep into de sidepods.

Because, what would force you to something so disruptive and crude as this? Normally RB is the quickest in terms of development for inlet and aotlets.
I think it is still the cooling for the heat sinks of MGU H. Renault is still not in contorl of MGU H and/or batteries and so they have temperature problems on the heat sinks. This will (hopefully) be solved, so it would be stupid to change the cooling solution of the car for this temporary problem.
rowano wrote:1. With the HUGE rake and new quick fix cooling on the side pods, does anyone else think they are trying to cool something very low down and central in the car, maybe batteries? They have already had trouble here before (vibrations....).
2. It seems unlikely they can run so much rake, equally odd that they would be concentrating on aero so much with their fundamental reliability problems, so maybe the high rear if the car is to facilitate a cooling solution in the floor just to get some much needed miles on the car?
1.: There are no batteries in that region. I believe in the heat sinks, which I would mount exactly in that region. MGK K and everything else in this region has an oil cooler. These small tubes would not make a big effect on this.
2. You are right with the ride height. All they have done today were some installation laps and pit stop training. They just want to get the car going to do that. With that setup you don't learn anything on the car.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

f1rules wrote:veto it ferrari, merc and mclaren !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No more mister nice guy. And if ferrari tries the same, merc and mac veto it!!!!
quote from BBC live feed:
"Renault had indicated on Thursday that they were not worried about the deadline, but it seems they were being a bit disingenuous, as Auto Motor Und Sport are reporting it was the French company that asked for the extension. It could well pass, given the way voting works in the strategy group. Bernie Ecclestone and FIA president Jean Todt have six votes each, the six teams involved one each. Votes pass by a simple majority. So if Ecclestone and Todt think it's a good idea - for whatever reason - then it doesn't matter what the teams, who include Mercedes, McLaren and Ferrari, vote."

atanatizante

It`s interesting to know if those holes/vents are on both sides or just only on the left side of the car ...
Had they are on the left side I think it`s perhaps MGU-K which is made in-house, so it`s RBR fault :

"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

atanatizante wrote:It`s interesting to know if those holes/vents are on both sides or just only on the left side of the car ...
Yes, these in and outlets are on both sides of the car, have a look here: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 58#p490058
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

basti313
basti313

atanatizante wrote: It`s interesting to know if those holes/vents are on both sides or just only on the left side of the car ...
Both sides.
atanatizante wrote: Had they are on the left side I think it`s MGU-K which is made in-house, so it`s RBR fault :
Why should a left side solution point on MGU K which is in the middle of the car?
And RB did not make the MGU K, it has to be supplied by Renault.
Don`t russel the hamster!

turbof1

Jef Patat wrote:
f1rules wrote:veto it ferrari, merc and mclaren !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No more mister nice guy. And if ferrari tries the same, merc and mac veto it!!!!
quote from BBC live feed:
"Renault had indicated on Thursday that they were not worried about the deadline, but it seems they were being a bit disingenuous, as Auto Motor Und Sport are reporting it was the French company that asked for the extension. It could well pass, given the way voting works in the strategy group. Bernie Ecclestone and FIA president Jean Todt have six votes each, the six teams involved one each. Votes pass by a simple majority. So if Ecclestone and Todt think it's a good idea - for whatever reason - then it doesn't matter what the teams, who include Mercedes, McLaren and Ferrari, vote."
I believe they need unanimous decision. Decision by majority only applies to rule changes for next year.
#AeroFrodo

rowano
rowano

[quote="rowano"]1. With the HUGE rake and new quick fix cooling on the side pods, does anyone else think they are trying to cool something very low down and central in the car, maybe batteries? They have already had trouble here before (vibrations....).
1.: There are no batteries in that region. I believe in the heat sinks, which I would mount exactly in that region. MGK K and everything else in this region has an oil cooler. These small tubes would not make a big effect on this.

I was thinking maybe an exit in the centre of the car to cool something that packaged centrally and low down rather than in the pods and the ride height is just to help draw air through the slot. I know very little about the cars, just an arm chair interest in their design and layout, but thought batteries were generally in this area?

atanatizante

basti313 wrote: Why should a left side solution point on MGU K which is in the middle of the car?
So that`s the reason they made them on both sides of the car :wink:
basti313 wrote: And RB did not make the MGU K, it has to be supplied by Renault.
According to AMuS it`s RBR in-house made : http://translate.google.ro/translate?sl ... 89033.html
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus