Red Bull RB10 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
DAMNINice

Re: Red Bull RB10 Renault

added the Ferrari:

REal men play with twins!

bill shoe
bill shoe

Extreme rake can be a symptom of great side-sealing and good downforce, but it can also be a symptom of an ineffective underbody design.

IMSA "prototype" sportscars in the US in the mid-90's (and maybe "prototype" sportscars elsewhere) were required to run flat bottoms. This was before rules-makers understood or worried about the aero-instability with flat bottoms. You get pitch sensitivity and pitch-overs and also more sensitive to lifting off the ground in high-yaw situations. But the rules required true flat bottoms, and the IMSA cars ran with lots of rake to generate a bit of downforce from the flat bottoms.

F1 diffusers are less effective this year due to no exhaust-blowing, no beam wing, and lower diffuser height (diffuser gurneys are now part of overall height, this reduces height of pure diffuser part). So large wedge/rake may be the aero people giving up and going to flat-bottom strategies.

FrukostScones

ready for BBQ

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

elMaestro
elMaestro

http://images.scribblelive.com/2014/2/2 ... 86_800.jpg Is this hole allowed in the regulations ?

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

elMaestro wrote:http://images.scribblelive.com/2014/2/2 ... 86_800.jpg Is this hole allowed in the regulations ?
Nope.

SectorOne

Look at the different gaps between the camera and the rear wing. Different angles.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

scarbs
scarbs

elMaestro wrote:http://images.scribblelive.com/2014/2/2 ... 86_800.jpg Is this hole allowed in the regulations ?
Yes as long as its below 100mm from the reference plane, i.e. about 5cm above the floor

mrluke
mrluke

SectorOne wrote:
Look at the different gaps between the camera and the rear wing. Different angles.
Pointed this out already, also the yellow line slices off the top of Mercs front left tyre. Also the flow conditioners above and along side the sidepods are very different in height.

stfn_ger
stfn_ger

atanatizante wrote:
basti313 wrote: And RB did not make the MGU K, it has to be supplied by Renault.
According to AMuS it`s RBR in-house made : http://translate.google.ro/translate?sl ... 89033.html
No, the article only states that Red Bull sent some help out to Renault now in times of trouble. RBR used to build their own KERS until last year, thus they have the know-how to help their engine-partner. This year's ERS however is a Renault-Part.

Per
Per

DAMNINice wrote:About the diffuser discussion...
I made a comparison pic of W05 and RB10...

what do you think?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bhjo3uKCMAAOkhN.jpg:large

This has been discussed before, pictures taken from the rear of the car are not a good way to compare the rake on different cars. These pictures are by no means accurate enough since only the slightest change in camera angle can have a great effect on perceptive rake. Check this post: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 15#p488440

gandharva

So engine hardware is frozen now. But what about software? I checked the FIA documents and didn't find anything about Software in Appendix 4. Are the teams free to develop/change here?

McG

Is the Red Bull more more tightly packaged than all the other cars? They have been in previous years right? I've only had a casual glance at the different rears of the cars but the Red Bull does look very tidy at the rear again. Maybe too tidy? If it's too tight shouldn't Red Bull open it up a bit instead of relying on the already troubled Renault to make it fit/work in such a tight package? Think someone has said that there has been little or no deviation from the original design.

The season is long so I guess it's worth it for them to keep the original spec a bit longer to see if they can work it out.
F1 is dead.

henra
henra

McG wrote:If it's too tight shouldn't Red Bull open it up a bit instead of relying on the already troubled Renault to make it fit/work in such a tight package?
Looking at the angle at which the tubes enter and leave the sidepods it looks as if they lead air to an area deep down in the sidepods. Simple enlarging might not lead air into that particular spot. It appears they don't have a general thermal issue but rather a localised one. It points to one specific component being in trouble. This bandaid fix indicates to mr that they are confident that it can be fixed internally. At least they did run 66 laps today and picked up some speed.
The trouble seemed deeper at Lotus (and maybe Caterham) today. Still all Renault Teams seem to be struggling significantly with reliability issues. Still not really looking good in that whole camp.

The car itself actually looks not too bad. Clean, open nose with smooth air treatment and the Rear end on this car looks to be as open as it gets this year. They don't have that big overhanging part of the cooling outlets over the floor which all competitors (bar STR) have to a smaller or bigger extent that tends to make the rear center area of the floor prone to stagnation and flow detachment at the coke bottle.
Should Renault get on top of it's woes I wouldn't be too surprised to see the RB being very competitive again.

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

I've noticed only Fw36 and Rb10 have round air box inlets. Not sure where but I remember hearing that the triangle shape inlet ala F14T was due to engine resonation or vibrations. Obviously a circle is aero friendly but I haven't quite wrapped my head around how an air box shape could have that effect.

I wondered why the rb10 air box stayed round couple months back but after reading about the batteries failing or suffering due to vibrations within the powertrains. Could they be related in a minuscule way?

beelsebob
beelsebob

Hobbs04 wrote:I've noticed only Fw36 and Rb10 have round air box inlets. Not sure where but I remember hearing that the triangle shape inlet ala F14T was due to engine resonation or vibrations. Obviously a circle is aero friendly but I haven't quite wrapped my head around how an air box shape could have that effect.
What's obvious about that? Why would a circle be better here? Are we going to fall back to discussions about ellipses?