Williams FW36 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
daveyrace
daveyrace

Re: Williams FW36 Mercedes

George-Jung wrote: Is there a white sticker on the nose?
It is clear tape, to protect from stone/debris chips and scratches to the paint. Not surprising as white will really show the marks :D . They can just replace the tape rather than have to respray the part, plus the paint is most likely very thin to save weight and not anywhere near as tough as on a road car. I know it as helicopter tape, by 3M. It could be this or just clear vinyl sheet. They use it to seal along the joins where the body panels meet to reduce drag, sometimes you can see it coming off during races.

thisisatest
thisisatest

In the cycling world, white paint is the heaviest and the most brittle, often cracking at points of flex making customers think their ride is cracked. Often over 100g penalty over other paint schemes.

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Nice gif with Bottas going true the chicane.

Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

atlantis
atlantis

Nice gif, the front suspension seems to be quite effective

Coefficient
Coefficient

daveyrace wrote:
George-Jung wrote: Is there a white sticker on the nose?
It is clear tape, to protect from stone/debris chips and scratches to the paint. Not surprising as white will really show the marks :D . They can just replace the tape rather than have to respray the part, plus the paint is most likely very thin to save weight and not anywhere near as tough as on a road car. I know it as helicopter tape, by 3M. It could be this or just clear vinyl sheet. They use it to seal along the joins where the body panels meet to reduce drag, sometimes you can see it coming off during races.
indeed, i have it on my motorcycle bodywork.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

stefan_
stefan_

Monaco 2014 - Wednesday / Friday (21/23.05.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Sevach
Sevach

Good look of the low beam wing.

jagunx51

massa's fuel consumption is the lowest amongst top 10 ....
............!!!!

bill shoe
bill shoe

They seem to have a consistent 2014 strategy to short fuel the car by about 5 kg /11 lbs. This makes them lighter/quicker at the beginning. Wonder why their calcs always show this is best strategy when Merc, McLaren, Force India go with a conventional full fuel strategy.

beelsebob
beelsebob

bill shoe wrote:They seem to have a consistent 2014 strategy to short fuel the car by about 5 kg /11 lbs. This makes them lighter/quicker at the beginning. Wonder why their calcs always show this is best strategy when Merc, McLaren, Force India go with a conventional full fuel strategy.
I'd say it's to do with their car in general being slipperier than the competition. That will in general lower fuel consumption a bit in the first place, and it may then push them into a different local minimum.

johnsonwax
johnsonwax

jagunx51 wrote:massa's fuel consumption is the lowest amongst top 10 ....
Both Williams have been that way every race. Only Lewis has been occasionally comparable. Seems like Williams is leaving some HP on the table.

Sevach
Sevach

I can't believe nobody took pictures of Bottas suspended car, i can't find one...

Francesc
Francesc

Nice view of the FW36

Skett
Skett

johnsonwax wrote:
Both Williams have been that way every race. Only Lewis has been occasionally comparable. Seems like Williams is leaving some HP on the table.
It could be down to the gearing, People have pointed out that the williams seems to have the shortest gearing, maybe it helps them to be in the right gear at the right time? Or maybe they don't and just always short shift?

Cuky

http://i.imgur.com/MCk5pxU.jpg

Well that is not at all a surprise considering that Bottas has done whole race in Malaysia and used 0.00kg of fuel :lol: