Williams FW36 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
triptube
triptube

Re: Williams FW36 Mercedes

Very interesting design, the exhaust in the upper area by the gear, or gear fairing to lead. =D>

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Williams FW36 - Österreich GP

trinidefender
trinidefender

hardingfv32 wrote:1) Do you think that the tail pipe must be assemble with the transaxle?

2) What is the external device around the tail pipe?

Brian
I assume you are talking about the monkey seat rear wing. That helps to generate a few extra points of downforce. It also seems to be used by some teams to aid to turn the airflow in this area to aid the diffuser and/or reducing the sensitivity on the rear wing by change the apparent angle of attack on the rear wing.

Pilatus

hardingfv32 wrote: 2) What is the external device around the tail pipe?

Brian
Electric heater.

Probably they need to heat tail pipe for easier assembly.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

stefan_
stefan_

Austria 2014 - Thursday (19.06.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

gary123

Williams shows a refinement in the rear: if McLaren has sparked a great clamor in the winter for the rear suspension to "shutter" that is not giving you the results that engineers Woking expected, it is interesting to note, however, that the solution Pat Symonds engineers have taken on the arm of the rear toe FW36. The design of the lever is neutral, but in the vicinity of the outlet of the brakes become a real flap, as if it were an element of the aerodynamic duct bracketing.
Source: https://translate.google.it/translate?s ... edit-text=

roadie

Yeah I noticed that on Thursday with some of the shots of the car. I can't recall it being done before?

The FW36 needs all the rear downforce it can get to help with traction events, especially on worn tyres.

trinidefender
trinidefender

So with Williams new found turn of speed in Austria can anybody point out some updates that they have seen on the car? Or have all the updates been happening under the skin away from prying eyes?

djos

Williams FW36 Mercedes

Awesome job by Williams and Massa + Bottas to lockout the front row!!! :)

I heard that Mercedes had finally shared their "Qually engine mode" with the other Merc powered teams so I'm guessing that helped combined with their recent upgrades.
"In downforce we trust"

Cam

djos wrote:I heard that Mercedes had finally shared their "Qually engine mode" with the other Merc powered teams so I'm guessing that helped combined with their recent upgrades.
If that's true, that's both bad and great I think. Great that it's more evidence that "it's the engine stupid" and bad that it's more evidence that "it's the engine stupid".
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

tony77g
tony77g

was already present at the GP of Spain

Image[/URL][/img]
gary123 wrote:http://www.omnicorse.it/img/articoli/ev ... _alare.jpg
Williams shows a refinement in the rear: if McLaren has sparked a great clamor in the winter for the rear suspension to "shutter" that is not giving you the results that engineers Woking expected, it is interesting to note, however, that the solution Pat Symonds engineers have taken on the arm of the rear toe FW36. The design of the lever is neutral, but in the vicinity of the outlet of the brakes become a real flap, as if it were an element of the aerodynamic duct bracketing.
Source: https://translate.google.it/translate?s ... edit-text=

tomazy
tomazy

Williams had the same solution allready last year: http://i.imgur.com/51QkNza.jpg

siskue2005

djos wrote: I heard that Mercedes had finally shared their "Qually engine mode" with the other Merc powered teams so I'm guessing that helped combined with their recent upgrades.
Source plz?

Sevach
Sevach

I'd like to see that one too, because that would be pretty low.