F1 2014 Car Comparison Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
henra
henra

Re: F1 2014 Car Comparison Thread

dren wrote:The Merc looks to be the tightest at the rear followed by the Ferrari.
It looks indeed very tight. Surely among the tightest of the cars so far.
On the other Hand it looks as if the Merc has a longer wheelbase than all the others. This might influence the appearance of a tight back a bit. Also the apparent longer fin would be at least partly a result of that.

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

henra wrote:
dren wrote:The Merc looks to be the tightest at the rear followed by the Ferrari.
It looks indeed very tight. Surely among the tightest of the cars so far.
On the other Hand it looks as if the Merc has a longer wheelbase than all the others. This might influence the appearance of a tight back a bit. Also the apparent longer fin would be at least partly a result of that.
Merc and Ferrari seem to have longer wheelbase then the others.
Would this be related to the low nose. Probably with low noses they have better front DF and need a longer distance to the pods so the air can go to the rear?

roadie

JDC123 wrote:Why does the williams have body work above the splitter whereas mercedes and toro rosso don't. Surely this will mean they wont be able to adjust the height of it?
They have always used this design. As to why this is the case, we don't know!

henra
henra

miguelalvesreis wrote: Merc and Ferrari seem to have longer wheelbase then the others.
Hmm, not so sure. I didn't have the Impression that the Ferrari has a particularly Long wheelbase. I would say it is rather normal.
Would this be related to the low nose. Probably with low noses they have better front DF and need a longer distance to the pods so the air can go to the rear?
Good question!.
I could imagine the purpose of the long wheelbase is more related to the back of the car in order to get as much free space in front of the rear tyres and thus the diffuser.
Could help at the front as well though. Downside could be increased weight which might be an issue this year.

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

henra wrote:
miguelalvesreis wrote: Merc and Ferrari seem to have longer wheelbase then the others.
Hmm, not so sure. I didn't have the Impression that the Ferrari has a particularly Long wheelbase. I would say it is rather normal.
Good question!.
I could imagine the purpose of the long wheelbase is more related to the back of the car in order to get as much free space in front of the rear tyres and thus the diffuser.
Could help at the front as well though. Downside could be increased weight which might be an issue this year.
Agree, weight could be a problem. Possibly the reason for the unpainted area on the engine cover on the Ferrari.
Anyway, to me, seemed that the distance from the front wheels axle to the cockpit to be longer on the SF and on the Merc.
Can't really compare right now. I'm stick to a mobile phone.
If anyone care to compare would be great! :P

My idea is that they need more room after the front wheels to turn the air around the sidepods.

Sidepod wise, on floor level, Merc, SF and RB seem to me to be leveled

scuderiafan

Does anyone get the impression that the RB10 looks "basic"? It seems to me like there's nothing special going on. The sidepods look boxy, the nose looks pretty standard (though I guess they have other options). I dunno, how far behind could they/would they be after 2013? They keep mentioning they're behind on development.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

boyracer94
boyracer94

scuderiafan wrote:They (RB) keep mentioning they're behind on development.
I personally wouldn't believe a word of this.

Juzh

scuderiafan wrote:the nose looks pretty standard
What's not standard then in your opinion?

raymondu999

scuderiafan wrote:Does anyone get the impression that the RB10 looks "basic"? It seems to me like there's nothing special going on. The sidepods look boxy, the nose looks pretty standard (though I guess they have other options). I dunno, how far behind could they/would they be after 2013? They keep mentioning they're behind on development.
This is the first test. Remember that in 2012 RB also only brought a non-Coanda car in Jerez... until the new tunneled sidepods it broke cover on the last day of Barca 1
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

rayden
rayden

Newey never brings the toys out at the first test.

Bazza
Bazza

raymondu999 wrote:
scuderiafan wrote:Does anyone get the impression that the RB10 looks "basic"? It seems to me like there's nothing special going on. The sidepods look boxy, the nose looks pretty standard (though I guess they have other options). I dunno, how far behind could they/would they be after 2013? They keep mentioning they're behind on development.
This is the first test. Remember that in 2012 RB also only brought a non-Coanda car in Jerez... until the new tunneled sidepods it broke cover on the last day of Barca 1

I thought that was at least partially because the FIA killed their magic bullet ducting rear wheel brake cooling exhaust ducts the day before the first test or something.

I don't know how well they worked with the ramp style exhausts they then went to, so it's pretty hard to know if they had those 'ready' as a backup plan, or just saw what Sauber did and rushed that through Newey, Inc as fast as they could.

DAMNINice

I know they are studio shots and so suspension might not be correct (or empty fuel tanks etc.) but nevertheless a little comparison:

REal men play with twins!

vall
vall

Predator wrote:Not an accurate comparison but you get the idea:

http://imageshack.com/a/img707/8297/s5lj.jpg
Ferrari seem to direct the exsost gases very differently from the others?

f1316
f1316

henra wrote:
Good question!.
Mark Hughes discusses exactly that theory here:

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/22058 ... se-designs

rscsr

vall wrote:
Predator wrote:Not an accurate comparison but you get the idea:

http://imageshack.com/a/img707/8297/s5lj.jpg
Ferrari seem to direct the exsost gases very differently from the others?
I've seen a sketch from a journo who was at the engine presentation, that the Ferrari engine exits their exhaust through the top of the cylinder head, instead of to the sides.