V8´s or V6´s?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Which engines do you prefer?

V8 n/a
24%
V6 Turbo
76%

Total votes: 96

Hail22

Re: V8´s or V6´s?

I apologise in advance for posting a V10 clip in a topic about the V8 or V6 Turbo however I remember someone mentioning the beautiful sounds of the BMW V10 engine...personally watching this as a young lad the scream of this engine whilst in the tunnel...I will remember till the day I die.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv-dQdElsOc[/youtube]

Personally and in my heart, I will always love the V12 / V10 era but I also understand the importance in a finite world that we all need to start looking to conserve and reduce our consumption of the few resources we have left. :(
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Sebp

I for one welcome our new V6T overlords!

Just for comparison two of my all time favourite F1 cars. One with and one without turbo...

McLaren MP4/4, V6 Turbo:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcmKJ5MhDh8[/youtube]

McLaren MP4/6, V12 NA:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPNLDCd9da8[/youtube]

Btw, I never liked the V10 screamers (figures!), damn sewing machines. :lol:
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

Sevach
Sevach

I didn't like the V8s from the onboard cameras, the Turbos might be an improvement.

clipsy1H

like i said few days ago... V6's sounds like my popcorn in cooking process. Even Bernie agree with this .... this change is one of the worst move in history of this championship.

There's no real reason for this change.... in a premium class like F1, you don't come with this stupidity "Saving Fuel is the reason" or "1.6 it's the future"

They spent 500 millions during 1 year but They want to save fuel :wtf: what a joke :roll:

NowyszRacing6
NowyszRacing6

To me, f1 has always immediately brought to mind the sound of super high pitched, high revving engines, one that sounds like nothing else. The new engines sound better than i thought they would, but they're not as distinctive and cool as the v8, which to me is sad. These are like a better version of an indycar sound

siskue2005

clipsy1H wrote:like i said few days ago... V6's sounds like my popcorn in cooking process. Even Bernie agree with this .... this change is one of the worst move in history of this championship.

There's no real reason for this change.... in a premium class like F1, you don't come with this stupidity "Saving Fuel is the reason" or "1.6 it's the future"

They spent 500 millions during 1 year but They want to save fuel :wtf: what a joke :roll:
maybe because there is scarcity of fuel in the world :?: :wtf:

Andres125sx

One aspect to take into account before comparing v6 sound with any other engine´s sound is we´ve only heard v6 on his very first real test into the car, so no team was really pushing the car or hitting the 15k rpm limit.

I´ve read some teams never passed 13k, some others 12k, so the sound we´ve heard is still milder than they really are.

Also some driver have stated from the cockpit it´s interesting to hear the different sounds when ERS or turbo start to work/blow, and they´re still setting up the car and how the different parts of the power unit work toghether, so probably this will change the final sound too

On some videos of Jerez testing some cars were doing an ugly ratling noise when entering the corners, but only on some laps, wich IMO shows they´re still testing all the possible parameters of each component, so the actual sound/perfomance is not even close to the final one we´ll see on Melbourne when everything will be perfectly adjusted

George77
George77

I totaly agree with the above.....

Lca1443
Lca1443

Where is the V12 option?

Shrieker

NowyszRacing6 wrote:To me, f1 has always immediately brought to mind the sound of super high pitched, high revving engines, one that sounds like nothing else. The new engines sound better than i thought they would, but they're not as distinctive and cool as the v8, which to me is sad. These are like a better version of an indycar sound
Almost exactly my thoughts. But let's just wait for all 22 screaming on the grid for final judgment.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

rscsr

OrangeArrows wrote:(Off topic) Can someone tells the correct power output? Some say it's 550 hp others 600 hp and a few said 650 hp. It's not clear.
I posted in the intercooler thread power curves for the Cosworth V6: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 42#p478542
rscsr wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
mrluke wrote:I dont have any information on the power curve of the old V8 but I expect it to be very peaky and to make peak torque somewhere around 16-18krpm this gives about 230ftlbs of torque. I would suggest that in the 6-12krpm range its going to be making an awful lot less torque whereas the v6 is making about 300ftlbs.
Your calculations seem to be correct, power depends on the maximum fuel flow allowed for 2014.

But why do you compare the torque of the 2013 engine at 16-18k with the torque of the 2014 engine at 6-12k without multiplying with the gear ratio?
Just for the sake of keeping with actual data. Here are some charts from the Cosworth V8 and V6. Taken from the Race Engine Technology #72 and #73. (That magazine is really worth reading).

Power Curves for the Cosworth CA (V8):
Power Curves comparison of the V8 and V6 (forecast):
relative fuel consumption of the V6:

P.S.: I'm Sorry for the crappy picture quality, I had to take a photo with my mobile phone and the paper is really shiny.

grouch
grouch

clipsy1H wrote:like i said few days ago... V6's sounds like my popcorn in cooking process. Even Bernie agree with this .... this change is one of the worst move in history of this championship.

I'm not exactly sure I'd look to Bernie to back up my argument. Bernie missed stated the point. The point is for the engine manufacturers to develop technology that translates to everyday drivers that will save on gas while giving more power, not so that the teams can be more green. I like the sounds of the new turbo engines. I like the farts and belches they produce but then again, I'd be quite happy seeing anti-lags on the cars also. Personally I am most excited for the 2014 season. This resetting of the rules gives lower budget teams more opportunity to compete even if only for a season or two. Add that to the fact that Honda will be coming back in 2015 brings more options to the table. I am really hoping to see Williams tug a little harder on the rope this year, I am interested to see how Red Bull deals with adversity. All in all, this season may very well give all the people that have been complaining for the last 3-4 years exactly what they were asking for, even if it may sound differently than they had hoped for.

JimiJams
JimiJams

"Leave me alone. I know what I’m doing" - Kimi Räikkönen

SectorOne

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

CHT
CHT

V12 = Heavy Metal
V10 = Rock
V8 = Pop
V6 = Classic?

Anyway, here is a good comparison between the V6 of 12C and V8 of 458.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9iLTisjpOg