A crisis meeting in the cards?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SectorOne

Re: A crisis meeting in the cards?

It´s an obvious case of Stockholm Syndrome when it comes to Bernie.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

smlbstcbr
smlbstcbr

Well, unfortunately for Bernie, the FiA is ruled by someone else than Max Mosley. Someone who looks not as voluble as he was.

CHT
CHT

ScottB wrote:Given that most of the grid are near bankrupt, and much of the money that the sport generates heads towards CVC and Bernie, while F1 has become a successful money making machine, it has not benefited the sport in any way comparable to other global sports.

In any case, after one test, the 2014 rules can't be judged a failure, and to say so is pretty ludicrous. If we get a couple Grand Prix in, and nobody is finishing races, then is the time for a 'crisis meeting,' but given that man + dog was expecting the first test to be just like this, in fact probably worse, Mercedes were quite happily churning round and running up race distances. The current noise is Bernie being Bernie, because he didn't get his way, and Red Bull, who are doing the same as they did with the tyres last year, ramping up what pressure they can to try and improve their own chances.

I'm more excited for this season than any one in years, and I'm sure many other people are the same. F1 should be about change and pushing the envelope, sticking what was essentially a 10 year old + engine formula had to come to an end and will bring in more manufacturers.
If RBR was dominating the test last week I am sure you will not share the same sentiment as I believe the excitement has got to do with RBR not dominating than the new rules.

When I first started watching f1 the thing that wow me was actually the roar of the v10, because it was unbelievably loud, So if the new engine should sound softer and smoother than a gp2, f1 fans might just lose the thrill and excitement of watching a race live.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

CHT wrote: When I first started watching f1 the thing that wow me was actually the roar of the v10, because it was unbelievably loud, So if the new engine should sound softer and smoother than a gp2, f1 fans might just lose the thrill and excitement of watching a race live.
Sure the noise was exciting live, but the truth is the v8 engines were unbearably loud, the only way you could listen to them next to the track without ear protection is if your ears are already heavily damaged.

CHT
CHT

Sound interesting from the inside buy fans might just be clueless about what is happening from outside.
"When I was in the car on day two, the mileage was good, but boy, it was a fight in the cockpit. The tyres wouldn't come up to temperature and we were going so slow - like GP2 times - so we have to adjust to all that. Only work will get you there.

"There are so many variables that my expectation is that it will be a very thrilling season. It will become somewhat of a science when to overtake and when to save fuel to be right there at the chequered flag."

And saving fuel will be vital this season as drivers are now limited to just 100kgs of fuel per grand prix, roughly 60kgs down on what they used last season.

As a result, Rosberg admits going flat out could be a thing of the past.

"I would like to go faster than last year," he said, "but that is not going to be the case. That's a bit of a downside in 2014."

ScottB
ScottB

CHT wrote:
ScottB wrote:Given that most of the grid are near bankrupt, and much of the money that the sport generates heads towards CVC and Bernie, while F1 has become a successful money making machine, it has not benefited the sport in any way comparable to other global sports.

In any case, after one test, the 2014 rules can't be judged a failure, and to say so is pretty ludicrous. If we get a couple Grand Prix in, and nobody is finishing races, then is the time for a 'crisis meeting,' but given that man + dog was expecting the first test to be just like this, in fact probably worse, Mercedes were quite happily churning round and running up race distances. The current noise is Bernie being Bernie, because he didn't get his way, and Red Bull, who are doing the same as they did with the tyres last year, ramping up what pressure they can to try and improve their own chances.

I'm more excited for this season than any one in years, and I'm sure many other people are the same. F1 should be about change and pushing the envelope, sticking what was essentially a 10 year old + engine formula had to come to an end and will bring in more manufacturers.
If RBR was dominating the test last week I am sure you will not share the same sentiment as I believe the excitement has got to do with RBR not dominating than the new rules.

When I first started watching f1 the thing that wow me was actually the roar of the v10, because it was unbelievably loud, So if the new engine should sound softer and smoother than a gp2, f1 fans might just lose the thrill and excitement of watching a race live.
The noise of those V10s was, for me at least, noticeably different in reality compared to how they sounded on TV. No doubt the same will be true of the V6s.

As for RBR, not really, I'm interested in the technology, the differing strategies for meeting the regulations etc. Something that is undoubtedly true for many fans.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

CHT wrote:Sound interesting from the inside buy fans might just be clueless about what is happening from outside.
"When I was in the car on day two, the mileage was good, but boy, it was a fight in the cockpit. The tyres wouldn't come up to temperature and we were going so slow - like GP2 times - so we have to adjust to all that. Only work will get you there.

"There are so many variables that my expectation is that it will be a very thrilling season. It will become somewhat of a science when to overtake and when to save fuel to be right there at the chequered flag."

And saving fuel will be vital this season as drivers are now limited to just 100kgs of fuel per grand prix, roughly 60kgs down on what they used last season.

As a result, Rosberg admits going flat out could be a thing of the past.

"I would like to go faster than last year," he said, "but that is not going to be the case. That's a bit of a downside in 2014."
It was calculated in the engine forum that the 100kg will only be marginal at one or two races (Singapore and Hungary I think it was).

Juzh

Cold Fussion wrote: It was calculated in the engine forum that the 100kg will only be marginal at one or two races (Singapore and Hungary I think it was).
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/01/15/n ... t-f1-rule/

CHT
CHT

Autosport came up with this chart to show us how much slower are the cars today compare to those before.
Perhaps Pirelli might be asked to change their compound soon?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112403

FoxHound

Would it not be better to wait and see what the cars can do once they are fully up and running?

No team ran full 15k rpm from the engines(13k max was the story I read). And we can only guess who used the full 160hp for 33 seconds from ERS if anyone.
All cars did not appear to have race ready aero specs, and the temps where cold with a harder "grain proof" tyre used to counter the cooler temps.

Allied to this, I think all teams where looking at getting a ton of mileage under the belt before even considering doing some quick laps.

Come Oz I think we be surprised by the pace of these car.
JET set

Juzh

FoxHound wrote:Would it not be better to wait and see what the cars can do once they are fully up and running?

No team ran full 15k rpm from the engines(13k max was the story I read).
15k rpm means nothing anyway. max power is way before that, so running 13k is actually the fastest way. You'll only need those 15k in monza probably when you'll slipstream another car in front of you with DRS.

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Engines not running at full power
Winter tyres
Aero not fully developed

There is plenty of time to come.

CHT
CHT

GP2 might actually benefit from the new F1 regulation. :)
Jenson Button has warned that GP2 cars might rival Formula One lap times at some circuits until development of the new-generation F1 cars steps up a gear.

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/144425.html

SectorOne

That graph makes itself irrelevant just by looking at it.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Richard
Richard

CHT wrote:GP2 might actually benefit from the new F1 regulation. :)
Jenson Button has warned that GP2 cars might rival Formula One lap times at some circuits until development of the new-generation F1 cars steps up a gear.

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/144425.html
Another misleading headline. He then went on to say:
Button wrote: By the end of the year we might not be that far off [2013 lap times] - just a couple of seconds once we get a real handle on it.