2014 too slow? (or not, as the case may be)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: 2014 too slow? (or not, as the case may be)

What about the rumours that Merc is 700+ and Ferrari is 650+ (and will have a much more powerfull version in Bahrain).
Renault came up with 600 figure but they might well be behind the curve in more ways than one.

Either way, i'm curious to see what the top speeds are gonna be around Bahrain.

RZS10

Well the rumours are what they are - rumours. But Ferrari confirmed they'll have an upgraded/newer version of their power unit in Bahrain (not sure about the "much more powerful"-part)

Sulman
Sulman

I'm curious about the qualifying and race differences. 700+ HP is quite remarkable for the new engine without the help of ERS, but I'm wondering if they'll be able to run them with any sort of clout during the race.

SectorOne

Sevach wrote:What about the rumours that Merc is 700+ and Ferrari is 650+ (and will have a much more powerfull version in Bahrain).
Renault came up with 600 figure but they might well be behind the curve in more ways than one.

Is the Ferrari number a rumor or from a press release?
So my knowledge the only real official number was Renault when they said 600.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Blackout

beelsebob wrote: because we already know that the Renault engine puts out 610bhp
What?

RZS10

Blackout wrote:
beelsebob wrote: because we already know that the Renault engine puts out 610bhp
What?
Rémi Taffin mentioned this in an Interview/talk - said they'd have 160bhp from ERS and a total of 760-770bhp -> the engine itself would put out 600-610bhp

Blackout

They are repeating those numbers since 18 months... They are very basic and approximative and are just for the medias...

Holm86

RZS10 wrote:
Blackout wrote:
What?
Rémi Taffin mentioned this in an Interview/talk - said they'd have 160bhp from ERS and a total of 760-770bhp -> the engine itself would put out 600-610bhp
Again how can we believe those claims when Renault isn't even capable of running at 100%??

danielk
danielk

Just a question that I hope someone can answer coz I'm 2 lazy to work it out. But with the maximum race time being 2 hours and there being a real possibility that the new cars will be maybe 5 seconds slower does this mean we me have slower races and maybe races finishing under 2 hour rule?

I know it's not clear cut as I think with running less fuel they will be faster at the start of the race than current cars. Or will they being the drop of downforce and the higher weigHt. If someone could do some calculations I would be highly great full :mrgreen: or am I asking 2 much?

rscsr

danielk wrote:Just a question that I hope someone can answer coz I'm 2 lazy to work it out. But with the maximum race time being 2 hours and there being a real possibility that the new cars will be maybe 5 seconds slower does this mean we me have slower races and maybe races finishing under 2 hour rule?

I know it's not clear cut as I think with running less fuel they will be faster at the start of the race than current cars. Or will they being the drop of downforce and the higher weigHt. If someone could do some calculations I would be highly great full :mrgreen: or am I asking 2 much?
It will depend on the track and on the actual speed difference.
If we take Singapur, Vettel won with 155km/h average speed.
The lowest speed would be 309km/2h=154,5km/h average.
So if we assume, that the cars are driving 2,5% slower we get an average speed of 155km/h / 1,025=151,2km/h and we would be over 2h race time.

I checked the other races too and we would get the following races where we would be over the 2h mark: Singapur
in fact, they have to be 1:57 to get over the 2:00 mark (2,5% slower). Well most races are below 1:45. So there is only Singapur which will be over the 2:00. But on hte other hand, we had some Safety Cars as far as I can remember. So no problem detected.

motobaleno

Sevach wrote:What about the rumours that Merc is 700+ and Ferrari is 650+ (and will have a much more powerfull version in Bahrain).

with the present fuel flow limitation an apex power difference of 100hp seems unrealistic to me...
the thing this year will be for how long during the race you will be able to actually output your theoretical max power...
but at 10.500 rev and 100 kg/hr flow I expect the differences being much smaller otherwise it would mean that a project has gone completely in the wrong direction in terms of internal frictions and efficience

Sevach
Sevach

SectorOne wrote: Is the Ferrari number a rumor or from a press release?
So my knowledge the only real official number was Renault when they said 600.
Rumours, neither Ferrari nor Mercedes revealed official numbers.

About the Renault 600 figure keep in mind that teams were quite conservative with their figures in the V8 era until it became silly to hide it (engine freeze and all).
Or maybe it's just my wishful thinking...

Ps: I miss BMW with their "we produced a 19000 RPM, 905 BHP monster" press releases.

munudeges
munudeges

Rubbish. These idiotic Merc power rumours still get believed by the naive.

NTS
NTS

Sevach wrote:Ps: I miss BMW with their "we produced a 19000 RPM, 905 BHP monster" press releases.
I was hoping they would come back when turbo-rules were announced, they have some interest in promoting their turbo technology for road-cars. Especially since the downsizing of M-models has begun. Really fits their marketing to have an extremely powerful, part hybrid 1.6 turbo engine to say "see, look at our F1 car, we don't need a V10 in the M5 to still make it top of the world"

But they probably took a good look at F1 finances and decided it doesn't make sense to pay that much to reach only a shrinking pay-tv audience in some of their core markets... Thanks Bernie :roll:

yener

Believe me or not all the engines will be equal. They all know exactly how to build the right engine and get the maximum out of it. There wil be a difference of 5% at the max!

Horsepower is not everything, it's also about fuel usage. Renault was using less fuel then the other engines. Who says that wont be the case this year? And that is going to be very important.
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC