Qualifying changes for 2014

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: Qualifying changes for 2014

Fuse Q1 and Q2 into one 40m session and give us a 15m Super-Qualy.

Either no tire considerations or qualifying tires.

Shrieker

Me like quali tyre. Me like fastest man pole. Me like don't worry for tyre saturday.

Me say bring it on !!!

\:D/
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

SectorOne

Yea i don´t understand why they moved the race-the-tire-you-set-your-time-on to Q2. I thought the idea with Q Tires is to run all of qualifying on them.
F1 has a tendency to make things way more complicate then they need to be.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

raymondu999

SectorOne wrote:Yea i don´t understand why they moved the race-the-tire-you-set-your-time-on to Q2. I thought the idea with Q Tires is to run all of qualifying on them.
You mean 1 set of Q tyres in each session?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

CBeck113
CBeck113

If they go the route of qualifying tires (:-D), then they need to clamp down on the tires available for the race. Since they are supposed to be harder this year, I'd guess that two sets of each would be enough for the race. They could also then specify two sets per practice session to get the cars on the track (at this point I would push for three practice power units for this season, then two for 2015, then none until the next formula change).
Fact is that people spend quite a bit of money to see even the practice sessions, and if no cars drive then they won't be happy. Unhappy customers are not good, they go away. They need a show - they need to see cars doing lots of laps. And they need to bite their nails up to the last seconds of qualifying.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

turbof1

SectorOne wrote:Yea i don´t understand why they moved the race-the-tire-you-set-your-time-on to Q2. I thought the idea with Q Tires is to run all of qualifying on them.
F1 has a tendency to make things way more complicate then they need to be.
Yes indeed. Just give them 1 extra set of tyres and let the Q3 drivers start on a fresh set of tyres in the race (perhaps add to that that it needs to be the same type of tyre as in Q). A simple concept that allows much more running.

I wouldn't temper too much with the Q1-2-3 system; early 2000's f1 messed around so much with different qualifying systems that all failed. The current format is a good one. If they do need to change anything, then perhaps change Q3 to a 20 minute running, with 2 extra set of tyres available only for that session.
#AeroFrodo

SectorOne

raymondu999 wrote:
You mean 1 set of Q tyres in each session?
Not necessarily, just that you run Qualifying tires in Qualifying and race tires in the race if they want to have Q Tires.

One set each per session won´t help the problem of no running.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

just make everybody use Qualy tires, and have every driver/team decide what tires to start with.

5 minutes extention of Q3 session sounds good. Qualy tires sounds good, it'll fix having drivers sit out
the Q3 session which raised an eyebrow or 2 in the past......

personally, i'm not that fond about the 'rest-time' between sessions [thus, the period between Q1 and Q2, and Q2 and Q3].

I think the clock should just keep running all the while until the end, just have drivers that are knocked out after Q1 immediately head into parc fermé. same when q2 is over, drivers that are knocked out head into parc fermé.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Holm86

I think they should scrap the parc fermé all together. Teams should be able to make adjustments between qualification and race. I don't see the point in that rule. If they want to prevent the teams from using all the night to setup the cars they could just have a curfew instead.

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

I don't like any of the suggestions put forth so far. Either leave it as is (has the no Q3 running strategy consistently paid off???) or:

Apply an xxx% rule (103%/105%/xxx.) If you don't run a lap within that % window in Q3, you get a grid penalty. That is, you get kicked back out of the top ten, say to 11th, and the former 11th place moves up to 10th. If you don't put out some effort when you're in the top 10, go take a back seat and give some one else a chance. Applies even if it's a mechanical problem, since you'd never be able to keep them honest.....

They'll never agree to this, but it would make them at least try in Q3.

Shrieker

%103 seems logical to me. Simple rule, no further fiddling needed imo. Honest mechanical problems should be exempt from grid penalty tho.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

raymondu999

Holm86 wrote:I think they should scrap the parc fermé all together. Teams should be able to make adjustments between qualification and race. I don't see the point in that rule. If they want to prevent the teams from using all the night to setup the cars they could just have a curfew instead.
I think that's not the purpose of the rule. Parc ferme as I understand it was brought in so some people raced with a quali setup or qualified with a race setup (ie a compromise) in the logic that it would add to the excitement.
Shrieker wrote:%103 seems logical to me. Simple rule, no further fiddling needed imo. Honest mechanical problems should be exempt from grid penalty tho.
What happens if they don't set a 103% time? Do they then have to start behind the people they outqualified earlier on? We have to cover the "extraordinary" circumstances such as Hungary 2010 no? Everyone outside the first 2 rows was above 103%
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SectorOne

Just give them only Q tires in Qualifying. There would be absolutely no reason not to try and set a time then.
And give them one more set then what we have today.

Chuckjr

"Amongst them include qualifying tyres, which can only be used on Saturday and must be handed back after. Forcing those in Q3 to start the race on the tyre they used during Q2 to set their fastest lap,"

I'm confused to why this is not a good idea? How many times last year--even with Red Bulls dominance, did anyone qualify in Q2 on the harder tire then advanced to Q3? Please correct me if I am wrong, but Im guessing less than twice--unless it was a penalty or something that allowed it by default...

REALLY DIG the idea of quail tires---anything just to see the cars all the way on the edge with no care for tire conservation.
Watching F1 since 1986.

hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

Just open the track for a 60 minute session & issue every single team 4 sets of qualification specific tyres, fastest lap within that session takes pole position.

Leaving all teams open to decide what tyres they start on for the race.

I can't stand this Q1, Q2, Q3 nonsense.