How Many Finishers in Melbourne?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

How many classified cars at the end of Melbourne?

Poll ended at 08 Mar 2014, 14:27

Fewer than 6
4%
6 to 10
19%
11-12
24%
13-14
28%
8%
7%
4%
5%
19-20
1%
21-22
0%

Total votes: 209

Absolutelee
Absolutelee

Re: How Many Finishers in Melbourne?

Hope: < 10

Actual guess: 14

Sjamaan
Sjamaan

My guess is also 16.

I think there won't be as much «drama» as otherwise expected and a good number of cars will cross the line some way or the other...

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

If what I'm hearing about the Renault race starts is true, how many cars will start the race in Melbourne?

myurr
myurr

Diesel wrote:If what I'm hearing about the Renault race starts is true, how many cars will start the race in Melbourne?
Pretty sure they can start. Just very slowly and carefully.

Crabbia
Crabbia

myurr wrote: Pretty sure they can start. Just very slowly and carefully.
But if that is the case they are going to make the start very interesting, because they should be able to qualify mid pack but then they will be a series of rolling road blocks at the start.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

erlik
erlik

That would be more dangerous than interesting.

myurr
myurr

Pretty sure the drivers briefing would cover it. Those drivers aren't going to want to have a slow start without those behind knowing about the likelihood. They can also elect to start in the pit lane.

Crabbia
Crabbia

erlik wrote:That would be more dangerous than interesting.
Sorry, that was a callous choice of words. You're right it could be dangerous if not managed as myurr suggests.
myurr wrote:Pretty sure the drivers briefing would cover it. Those drivers aren't going to want to have a slow start without those behind knowing about the likelihood. They can also elect to start in the pit lane.
That depends on how well they qualify. i think if they get into Q3 (which is unlikely but possible, we haven't seen it driven in anger yet - much less a one lap dash) I'm pretty sure they would be reticent to give up their starting places.

if they are midpack i could see that as a possibility, not only on safety grounds but also to preserve their cars' clutches.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

zeph
zeph

SiLo wrote:All Ferrari/Merc engined cars to finish with no Renault finishers. Heard it here first.
Or at least no Renault in the points. That seems not unlikely.

NTS
NTS

Crabbia wrote:That depends on how well they qualify. i think if they get into Q3 (which is unlikely but possible, we haven't seen it driven in anger yet - much less a one lap dash) I'm pretty sure they would be reticent to give up their starting places.
If they think they can finish a race distance and get into Q3 I would expect them to start from the grid. Example scenario:

- Fastest Renault car qualifies in p7 (e.g. Red Bull or Lotus, behind Mercedes, McLaren and Ferrari)
- A set of other Renault cars take p8 to p11

If I had p7 I would choose to start from the grid, because the p12 car (especially after a warning in drivers briefing) will not get to p7 without taking too much risk. And after that you're up to speed in p7 with a car you think can finish a race so you have an opportunity to score points.

Of course getting away from a pit-stop will be a challenge, but they only need to go from 0 to 60 km/h (that's the pit-limit for Albert Park right?) which even when done carefully will not take that much time.

MOWOG

So, what everyone on this thread is saying is not to expect actual racing at Melbourne from more than a few cars at the front of the field. That's certainly something to look forward to...... :wtf:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Juzh

MOWOG wrote:So, what everyone on this thread is saying is not to expect actual racing at Melbourne from more than a few cars at the front of the field. That's certainly something to look forward to...... :wtf:
Yes, but that's ok because no red bull car will be on front 3 rows. If merc wins every race by 2 laps it will still be the best and most exciting season since "the old days" when men were men and F1 was still dangerous and worth watching.

Gridlock

I've actually messed it up a little by trying to discount crashes by saying "ignoring driver error", because all this torque + those corners + those walls means we could see a lot of 'rear suspension failures' on top of the engines just plain crapping out.

CHT
CHT

I would be happy if half of the grid made it to the chequered flag.

Gridlock

Most of the interviews I've seen on Sky, the drivers are admitting if you finish you might well score.

Could easily see e.g.

8 mechanical retirements
4 damage retirements (car control)
2-4 Fuel regulation DSQs (used more than 100Kg/didn't have sample left after race)

These are interconnected too, as eg the Red Flag period still comes out of your 100Kg so if someone puts it into the wall badly then fuel becomes more critical.

Edited to add;
https://twitter.com/f1_aero/status/440147069022371840 [-o<