Gary Anderson predicts F1's pecking order

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
f1316
f1316

Re: Gary Anderson predicts F1's pecking order

He just did another one that's pretty much the same as the first. I don't buy the percentages for a second and he has Force India ahead of Ferrari which I think is more to do with it being his former team than anything else.

He also has Red Bull ahead of Mclaren which is just lunacy imo. But who knows... ;)

markn93

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

Not sure you should post subscription content.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

All of the tyre difference assumptions by GA appear to be rubbish anyway according to the tyre compound time deltas given by Pirelli.
The performance differences in Bahrain between tyre compounds were approximately as follows: the supersoft around 0.7s per lap faster than the soft; the soft around 1.2s per lap quicker than the medium; and the medium is around 1.3s per lap quicker than the hard.
from http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 15497.html although Hembery does say the gaps will reduce as the teams develop through the season.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

TBone
TBone

markn93 wrote:Not sure you should post subscription content.
Will either rely on fair comment as only a sal percentage of the article or leave it to the fate of the ModGods!

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

Anon123
Anon123

Will Buxton expects a dominant W05.

"While the team won’t be drawn on exactly how big their advantage is, there are some who believe it could be even greater than the 1.5 seconds bandied around at testing.

From what I understand from a high level independent source after testing had finished, the reality could be even more astonishing. If the data adds up as he believes and the factory Mercedes team was able to run their cars at 100%, right now they would win every Grand Prix not by a few seconds but by two clear laps.

Two. Laps.

So long as their reliability holds up, his feeling was that Mercedes AMG won’t need to go anywhere near showing their hand in the early races. They should be able to use the season to slowly build confidence and reliability and just as everyone thinks they’ve caught up, Mercedes can turn it up and blow everyone away again."

http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/20 ... o-we-know/

adrianjordan

Re: Williams FW36 Mercedes

dren wrote:Williams is in a good spot for sure but it is hard to believe they are in front of Mercedes or even Ferrari.
I'm sure people said the same about Brawn in 2009 testing...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

theformula

Anon123 wrote:Will Buxton expects a dominant W05.

"While the team won’t be drawn on exactly how big their advantage is, there are some who believe it could be even greater than the 1.5 seconds bandied around at testing.

From what I understand from a high level independent source after testing had finished, the reality could be even more astonishing. If the data adds up as he believes and the factory Mercedes team was able to run their cars at 100%, right now they would win every Grand Prix not by a few seconds but by two clear laps.

Two. Laps.

So long as their reliability holds up, his feeling was that Mercedes AMG won’t need to go anywhere near showing their hand in the early races. They should be able to use the season to slowly build confidence and reliability and just as everyone thinks they’ve caught up, Mercedes can turn it up and blow everyone away again."

I don't expect a 1.5 second advantage, but I do believe it's possible to be near to the 1 second mark...

Let's not forget that Merc started work on 2014 much earlier than others. Therefore it is reasonable to expect them to have an advantage of some sort over other teams and this is very likely to be the case. For example, I don't expect the Williams to be as fast as the Merc as they are likely to have started development of the 2014 car later than Merc and in that time Mercedes would have been much more advanced in their understanding of the car as a whole. As a result I expect Mercedes to have a clear advantage in terms of pace on the others as it is surely more than reasonable to assume that they have more performance in hand due to doing their homework earlier...
Hamilton's blessed with an ability to make a car do pretty much anything he wants - Mark Hughes

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

Two. Laps.

There are four teams with Mercedes engines. The Mercedes team has to stay in front of three other Mercedes powered teams so they will not be able to cruise to the win in the early races. That is unless Mercedes pulls rank & compels those 3 teams to hold station. I would be a bit surprised by that but then Red Bull have done that to Toro Rosso in the past have they not?

beelsebob
beelsebob

tok-tokkie wrote:There are four teams with Mercedes engines. The Mercedes team has to stay in front of three other Mercedes powered teams so they will not be able to cruise to the win in the early races. That is unless Mercedes pulls rank & compels those 3 teams to hold station. I would be a bit surprised by that but then Red Bull have done that to Toro Rosso in the past have they not?
What makes you think an engine is the entire differentiating factor for those cars?

dren

beelsebob wrote:
tok-tokkie wrote:There are four teams with Mercedes engines. The Mercedes team has to stay in front of three other Mercedes powered teams so they will not be able to cruise to the win in the early races. That is unless Mercedes pulls rank & compels those 3 teams to hold station. I would be a bit surprised by that but then Red Bull have done that to Toro Rosso in the past have they not?
What makes you think an engine is the entire differentiating factor for those cars?
Right. There is more than just a PU running around the track.
Honda!

dren

Two. Laps.

It wouldn't surprise me if they are that dominant pace wise. The issue will be reliability. Just from reading between the lines in press statements and driver comments, Mercedes seems worried only about reliability, and overly so since they were the most reliable next to Williams. It's like they expect to win, but only if they don't run into reliabilty issues.

The Williams looks to be in the mix, but I suspect they are not as good as everyone thinks. I would like to see them strong, and I expected them to be a strong Q3 team, but for race wins, not so sure yet. Ferrari is a wonder still.
Honda!

nevill3

Re: Gary Anderson predicts F1's pecking order

I remember that Williams always seem to have a good car in testing, posting fastest laps etc. but come the races are usually just shy of the front tems. I think I read that they even used an underweight car in previous years.

I would love Williams to rise to the top again, I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

dren

Re: Williams FW36 Mercedes

adrianjordan wrote:
dren wrote:Williams is in a good spot for sure but it is hard to believe they are in front of Mercedes or even Ferrari.
I'm sure people said the same about Brawn in 2009 testing...
Brawn didn't surprise me. That car was so visibly different than the rest and it was well noted it had been in development for a much longer time period than the rest.
Honda!