The new V6 Turbo engine sounds

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the new engine sounds?

Love it!
14%
Pretty good, better than the V8s
10%
Pretty good, but not as good as the V8s
11%
Acceptable
18%
Don't really like it
15%
They've taken its soul away
32%

Total votes: 241

astracrazy
astracrazy

Re: The new V6 Turbo engine sounds

bhallg2k wrote:Works for me.

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing."
turning it off will have a better effect. I would bet f1 hasn't gained any fans this year (with the double points crap and now engines)

LionKing
LionKing

You are right in terms of perceived loudness. I think that is what matters.

A wave that carries 10 times more power has 10dB more power.
(and amplitude (electric field, pressure) of the wave will be sqrt(10) = 3.16 higher).

Holm86

bhallg2k wrote:You guys ain't heard nothin' yet. Engines will only get quieter over the next few years as they're developed more and more toward better efficiency.

Sounds good, right?
This is true. Better efficiency = less noise. Though I suspect we will have more noise during qualifying in the future at least. When the engines get more reliable teams will start to go to the 15.000 rpm limit instead of just 11-12.000 rpm. And during qualifying the 100kg rule does not exist so teams can dump fuel into the exhaust to get higher turbo compounding values.

Gridlock

Holm86 wrote:Better efficiency = less noise.
True, but acoustic engineering (AKA 'stick a trumpet on it'?) is simple compared to Y250 vortice control, for instance. I'd expect an 'artificial' solution to this issue.

Klaus
Klaus

Where's the 'good noise but not enough of it option?

WillerZ

Where's the "Engine note is fine but the whining noise on forums is getting tedious" option /joke.

On a serious note, a couple of people have asked whether a change to the exhaust shape could make the engines sound louder. The answer is yes; you would want to attach a bell-like cone similar in shape to the business end of a trombone to the end of the exhaust. Cf Horn loudspeaker on wikipedia. If you design the horn shape correctly it will be ~10dB louder; you can even tweak the tone a little as the exact curve you use will determine which frequencies are most prominent.

Interestingly most of the teams played with monkey seats which approximate the horn shape during preseason testing; perhaps they will use them at circuits with high-speed corners and the problem (for those who have a problem) will thereby solve itself.

SectorOne

Sounds like putting make-up on a pig. It´s still a pig at the end of the day meaning i have a lot of doubt an exhaust fix is going to make people move on from the V8 sound.

I think time solves things like it usually does. When V12´s was out people complained, When V10´s was finished people complained, when V8´s is gone people complain. If it´s not one thing it´s another but eventually everyone realizes that it´s now just a memory like the rest.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

WhiteBlue

Holm86 wrote:..I suspect we will have more noise during qualifying in the future at least. When the engines get more reliable teams will start to go to the 15.000 rpm limit instead of just 11-12.000 rpm. And during qualifying the 100kg rule does not exist so teams can dump fuel into the exhaust to get higher turbo compounding values.
How is going to happen with the fuel flow rule still valid in qualifying? 27.8 g/s maximum fuel flow is still in effect. No excess rpm will change the capping at 10.500 rpm. Injecting higher flow into the exhaust is as illegal as injecting into any other position.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Holm86

WhiteBlue wrote:
Holm86 wrote:..I suspect we will have more noise during qualifying in the future at least. When the engines get more reliable teams will start to go to the 15.000 rpm limit instead of just 11-12.000 rpm. And during qualifying the 100kg rule does not exist so teams can dump fuel into the exhaust to get higher turbo compounding values.
How is going to happen with the fuel flow rule still valid in qualifying? 27.8 g/s maximum fuel flow is still in effect. No excess rpm will change the capping at 10.500 rpm. Injecting higher flow into the exhaust is as illegal as injecting into any other position.
In a race you only use fuel when on throttle not to breach the 100kg maximum fuel load regulations. In qualifying you could in theory inject 27.77 g/s into the engine constantly just not ignite it. It would then ignite in the exhaust and drive the turbine. This would create some bangs and pops.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS4Dh_EAfJI[/youtube]

well there you have it.

though i still was quite fond of hearing individual v6 engines with all sorts of sounds, the actual race sounds are
indeed disappointing. i thought it was just tele, but this is horrible :wtf:

the driving is spectacular. the sound? horrible.

is it possible to up the REV's to 20.000 RPM without too much development investment? obviously it'll cost, but,
well....this is not good. i didn't realise they are that silent while driving by that close. that's insane.

dump the damage shield around the engine, increase exhaust tip size (make it conical), up the rev's from 15.000 to 20.000.
reasonable solutions in the coming time that is the best way to improve engine sound.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

humble sabot

i'm going to second the motion WillersZ put forth:
Where's the "Engine note is fine but the whining noise on forums is getting tedious"
It can only go downhill from the 3.0L V10s anyway so i'll take it.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

xpensive
xpensive

What they need to do is to revise the fuel-flow mapping, so that you need to reach 13 kRpm to get the full 27.8 g/s.

That should make the engines more peaky and alter the sound-image from the current drone, with the same top-power.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Aesto
Aesto

I don't see what the big deal is. F1 is awesome because of the racing, the technology, and the strategy, not because of the sound. I'm surprised people on F1Technical actually care about something as subjective, arbitrary and emotional as sound.

I've seen/heard the old V10s at an actual racetrack, and quite frankly, I don't even miss those.

If anything, I'm somewhat happier with the new V6 engines because they sound less annoying than the V8s.

langwadt
langwadt

xpensive wrote:What they need to do is to revise the fuel-flow mapping, so that you need to reach 13 kRpm to get the full 27.8 g/s.

That should make the engines more peaky and alter the sound-image from the current drone, with the same top-power.
Though it won't change that compared to last year they are now harvesting ~90KW of exhaust energy, That energy used
to be wasted as noise, that one hell of a stereo ...

mnmracer
mnmracer

SectorOne wrote:Sounds like putting make-up on a pig. It´s still a pig at the end of the day meaning i have a lot of doubt an exhaust fix is going to make people move on from the V8 sound.

I think time solves things like it usually does. When V12´s was out people complained, When V10´s was finished people complained, when V8´s is gone people complain. If it´s not one thing it´s another but eventually everyone realizes that it´s now just a memory like the rest.
The biggest problem is with loudness.
Like I said, sitting track-side to a Formula One car passing you, there is this all-encompassing bubble of sound. Formula 1 cars used to make their mark, mark there territory and accept no one else in that bubble. V12, V10, V8, sure, the sound went down a bit, but there was always that threshold of that bubble. Now, it's gone. Not only is F1 not the loudest series on track, but they have lost their territory to mere humans. People talking to each other, means it's just another object in the world. It doesn't own the world anymore, it is just part of it like measly human beings like you and me.

It doesn't necessarily need to go back to V10 level, but F1 needs to own its territory again. I don't know if that threshold is just 1db away or another 5, but it needs to own its space.They need to turn the dial to 14. Screw the neighbors, you can't hear them complain anyway when F1 has owned its territory.