The new V6 Turbo engine sounds

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the new engine sounds?

Love it!
14%
Pretty good, better than the V8s
10%
Pretty good, but not as good as the V8s
11%
Acceptable
18%
Don't really like it
15%
They've taken its soul away
32%

Total votes: 241

kishigae
kishigae

Re: The new engine sounds

Powershift wrote:There is no option for "I don't care", on a technical forum

Powershift wrote:I don't care what the v8's sounded like because the race was over when the turbo's passed the finish line.
:?

CriXus
CriXus

@Shakeman, i can barely hear the sound from the TV coverage, this is a joke. I know that the fan footage is from unprofessional cameras, etc., but it sounds much better.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

kishigae
kishigae

langwadt wrote:
kishigae wrote:Live sound is awful as well imo. But on the positive side, you don't need ear plugs and you can have a chat during the race.
the onboards are a bit dull, maybe it just that the mic in the cam mostly pick up the intake sound and not much exhaust
When I said live I meant listening with my own ears. So no mics involved. You basically don't hear the cars approaching up until they are 100m from you. The V8 Supercars and the Porsche GT3s were louder than the F1s.

kishigae
kishigae

CHT wrote:Felt like I was watching Australia Open on TV. The cheers from the grandstand is now louder than the car I think. At least on TV.
At the circuit as well :(

idfx

edited
The thermal insulation may be altering the acoustics. These materials may slightly change the sound.
Add a microphone inside the car can be a great solution, capturing the sound of the engine, gearbox with reverb
Another factor that can change the sound capture are: the components of the microphones, the setting, the model and the location of the microphones ... and acoustic impedance can also be considered.
To have a clear sound have to do some planning, and this new generation of engines possesses a complex sound. With a little patience the transmissions should improve quality.
----------

siskue2005

Is there any way to fix the sound issue? Will higher rpm ( around 20 k ) do any change to the sound?

SoCalWJS
SoCalWJS

How about the option of "Don't like it yet, but it may grow on me"?

CriXus
CriXus

siskue2005 wrote:Is there any way to fix the sound issue? Will higher rpm ( around 20 k ) do any change to the sound?
I am not engineer guy, but that's not so simple. It's not like you have a half full glass of water and you are just filling it to the brim. ;)
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

Andres125sx

Didn´t vote because no option fully convice me...

I did prefer the V8 sound, but there are some positive aspects wich counteract this one, like you don´t need hearplugs to save your hearing, or now we can hear the cars braking wich IMHO is quite interesting, much more than an engine screaming. Yes that screaming was awesome, but did tell nothing about the driver or the pace he´s driving or the configuration of the car. Now we can hear the braking with the tires screaming, we can hear different sounds depending on the car´s configuration, specially while braking. The turbo and ERS do some characteristic sounds too...

Basically I´d say last year sound was better, but the sounds we hear this year are a lot more interesting

langwadt
langwadt

siskue2005 wrote:Is there any way to fix the sound issue? Will higher rpm ( around 20 k ) do any change to the sound?
nothing will change that the turbo acts as a "muffler" on both intake and exhaust

rich1701
rich1701

Perhaps increasing the exhaust circumference might help. Ultimately the sound comes from the level of combustion. There are fewer cylinders with smaller capacity. It is going to be difficult to make them as loud as the v8s

Powershift

the easiest thing for them to do would be to increase the fuel allotment and max fuel rate(as much as the fuel tanks will allow), thus allowing higher RPM's, also retune the track side mics
Last edited by Powershift on 20 Mar 2014, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

CriXus
CriXus

langwadt wrote:
nothing will change that the turbo acts as a "muffler" on both intake and exhaust
I am confused, you are saying, that the turbo is the main reason for this sound, but how is it possible late 80's cars to have a such wonderful sound, especially McLAren MP4/4 (man, i love this sound)? And they had twin turbo and lower revs...

I am sorry for the stupid question.

Powershift

CriXus wrote:I am confused, you are saying, that the turbo is the main reason for this sound, but how is it possible late 80's cars to have a such wonderful sound, especially McLAren MP4/4 (man, i love this sound)? And they had twin turbo and lower revs...
The 1988 turbo's did not restrict the exhaust as much as these engines do because they did not extract as much energy from the exhaust. The TERS extracts a lot more energy from the exhaust then they did in '88, thus a much quieter engine.
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

Holm86

Powershift wrote:
CriXus wrote:I am confused, you are saying, that the turbo is the main reason for this sound, but how is it possible late 80's cars to have a such wonderful sound, especially McLAren MP4/4 (man, i love this sound)? And they had twin turbo and lower revs...
The 1988 turbo's did not restrict the exhaust as much as these engines do because they did not extract as much energy from the exhaust. The TERS extracts a lot more energy from the exhaust then they did in '88, thus a much quieter engine.
Heat and noise are bi-products of the combustion in the internal combustion engine. The more efficient the engine is the less heat and noise it creates. The 2014 engines are much much more efficient than the engines back in the 80's. And yes you are right regarding the MGU-H. In todays engines the boost is controlled as much as possible by the MGU-H. In the old days it was controlled 100% by the wastegate. Wastegates bypasses the exhaust turbine and thus the exhaust of the wastegates are much louder.

But back then fuel wasn't limited. So they used fuel even when off throttle to keep spinning the turbo. This also contributed a lot to the noise and yes that did sound pretty nice. Today no fuel is wasted at least not during the races. I wonder if they in the future when they've solved the reliability issues will start dumping fuel into the exhaust again to get as much power out of the MGU-H as possible during qualifying.