STR01

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
RH1300S
RH1300S

Google for MP4 10 - I'm sure this is the one he means (I haven't figured out posting pics yet!)

scarbs
scarbs

all the cars have automatic exstinguishers
To my knowledge F1 cars "do not" have automatic extinguishers, the driver and the marshalls each have a trigger (loop or button). But due the high G loads and heat within an f1 car no method of automatically setting off the extinguisher was ever found.

bernard
bernard

scarbs wrote:
all the cars have automatic exstinguishers
To my knowledge F1 cars "do not" have automatic extinguishers, the driver and the marshalls each have a trigger (loop or button). But due the high G loads and heat within an f1 car no method of automatically setting off the extinguisher was ever found.
I seriously think they do have an automated system. Not certain, but I've heard from several sources that they do. I could be wrong, though.

Spencifer_Murphy

I didnt think they do, because thats what those white circles with the letter "N" or "E" on them in red is there for...it identifys where the button/loop is to trigger the extingushers.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

scarbs
scarbs

14.2.2 There must also be an exterior switch, with a horizontal handle, which is capable of being operated from a
distance by a hook. This switch must be situated at the base of the main roll over structure on the right
hand side.

zac510
zac510

Isn't there one to engage Neutral in the gearbox?

johny

N is for neutral and E is for extinguisher

bernard
bernard

scarbs wrote:14.2.2 There must also be an exterior switch, with a horizontal handle, which is capable of being operated from a
distance by a hook. This switch must be situated at the base of the main roll over structure on the right
hand side.
I hear what you're saying, but the weight is on the word "also"
There must also be an exterior switch
It isn't as such a proof of the non-existance of an automated system.
It isn't proof the other way around either.

Found this with a fast google. Still need more proof, though.
"If there should be a fire in the car, the onboard fire extinguishers will automatically activate to extinguish any fire. The driver can also manually turn on the fire extinguishers with a switch in the cockpit of the car. "

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

14.1.8 Any triggering system having its own source of energy is permitted, provided it is possible to operate all
extinguishers should the main electrical circuits of the car fail.
The driver must be able to trigger the extinguishing system manually when seated normally with his safety
belts fastened and the steering wheel in place.

zac510
zac510

Well maybe that is why they have lead acid batteries and alternators still? :)

(two threads with one stone!?)

bernard
bernard

Monstrobolaxa wrote:14.1.8 Any triggering system having its own source of energy is permitted, provided it is possible to operate all
extinguishers should the main electrical circuits of the car fail.
The driver must be able to trigger the extinguishing system manually when seated normally with his safety
belts fastened and the steering wheel in place.
I'd hate to sound like a broken record, but that doesn't exactly prove the inexistance of the automated extinguishers. It just states what is mentioned above; the car has to have a mechanical way of extinguishing the fire.
If the proof is brought forward, I'm more than happy to accept that I was wrong. Till then, keep trying. :wink:

scarbs
scarbs

fair point...
But, equally your theory doesnt hold water unless you have some back up, what sets off the extinguisher?

I recall the manual trigger fact as it has been discussed several times in the past. To add to my argument, I have never seen a f1 extinguisher go off for years, I've seen cars have big crashes and engine bay fires, ButI've never seen that trigger the extinguisher.

scarbs
scarbs

I just asked lifeline the main supplier of F1 extinguishers, the teams must only use a manual trigger (mechanical or electrical), There is no known automatic system for the reasons I previously described.

bernard
bernard

scarbs wrote:I just asked lifeline the main supplier of F1 extinguishers, the teams must only use a manual trigger (mechanical or electrical), There is no known automatic system for the reasons I previously described.
Ok, you win, damnit! :D It is indeed a tricky environment to put an automated extinguisher in (imagine a false alarm in the middle of the race!). I guess it just isn't worth it for the manufacturers, though for the FIA and general safety it would be nice. If a car catches fire after a crash and the driver is unconcious, then the extinguishers would go off immediately, rather than when a track marshal gets there with the aforementioned pole. Especially if the car is flipped over the switch at the side of the airbox can be pretty hard to get to, not even mentioning the possible flames. This area of the FIA regulations could use a little modernization, the rules are way over ten years old on this.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

bernard wrote: Ok, you win, damnit! :D It is indeed a tricky environment to put an automated extinguisher in (imagine a false alarm in the middle of the race!).
Sure for a mclaren... just set it to go off after say... 5 laps or so :lol: :lol: