Log VS Tubular exhaust, which one is more efficient ?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
riff_raff
riff_raff

Re: Log VS Tubular exhaust, which one is more efficient ?

The intake manifold pressure at any given instant is the result of the turbo compressor performance. The turbo compressor is a dynamic compression device, and its pressure ratio and mass flow are highly dependent on rotational speed and inlet/discharge pressures. Since the turbo compressor is directly coupled to the exhaust turbine, and the entire spool is free to rotate, the turbo compressor and turbine must obviously operate in equilibrium unless influenced by an external factor like a coupled motor/generator.

Here is a Image that shows PR and efficiency versus speed. You can see just how drastically the compressor performance drops with speed. It would be impossible to cycle the turbo spool speed from 100%Nr to 50%Nr and back to 100%Nr in the 100ms or so between exhaust pulses within a single cylinder bank in an F1 V6 engine.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

Foyle
Foyle

3 cylinder engines are near optimum for turbocharging as almost no exhaust valve overlap exists. A twin entry turbine scroll is pretty good way of effectively separating two banks due to the high velocities at scroll entry .

The really key consideration is that you are trying to preserve as much blowdown gas velocity from when the exhaust valve cracks open as possible, as it is that initial pulse that has most of the energy and any efforts to slow it down or recover that energy as pressure will end up wasting much of it with diffusion losses. The bigger the volume of your exhaust manifold the more of that energy is wasted cycling its pressure. So a lot of the common knowledge best-results from NA engines don't apply. Short and small diameter runners (similar to exhaust port area) are generally best, though GT-Power can lead you to all kinds of different solutions, and requirements of energy recovery and no issues with turbo lag might lead to some surprising differences from normal turbo design solutions.

Company I worked for developed a high performance 3 cylinder turbocharged engine (1.2L 240hp). We found very slight advantage for separate runners over log. But we needed to run over much larger range of conditions (car application). Given narrow rpm range of 10400-12000 it is quite possible that a log manifold can be made near-optimal. Particularly given improved packaging and reduced cooling required.

These engines should have been hot-side in - can't see why they mandated hot side out.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Foyle wrote: ..... The really key consideration is that you are trying to preserve as much blowdown gas velocity from when the exhaust valve cracks open as possible, as it is that initial pulse that has most of the energy and any efforts to slow it down or recover that energy as pressure will end up wasting much of it with diffusion losses.
Company I worked for developed a high performance 3 cylinder turbocharged engine (1.2L 240hp). We found very slight advantage for separate runners over log. But we needed to run over much larger range of conditions (car application). Given narrow rpm range of 10400-12000 it is quite possible that a log manifold can be made near-optimal. ,,,,
interesting, ..... but .....
the narrower the rpm range the stronger the case for the tuned length system ?
it reduces the supercharging work required from the turbo, giving less charge heating and increasing power available to the turbine

(though I must remind myself that a short (non tuned length) system can conserve 'pulses' just as a tuned length system)

has anyone yet seen the actual Mercedes system ??

inconveniently, most of the exhaust energy useful to an expander is lost before the manifold (ie regardless of manifold type)
this energy loss can be reduced if the exhaust pressure upstream of the turbine is made higher
because the blowdown pulse is driving a denser gas ie a greater load
so there's less acceleration and less of the energy-dissipatory supersonic velocity
this can be done without much impairment of the pulse energy by increased loading of the turbine for recovery
NACA 80 years ago found a 70/30 ratio of crankshaft power to compound power gave their best efficiency ie best 2014 PU power
(in some agreement with the recent posts by ringo ?)
this was from real backpressure (negative delta P) and EV closure suitably early
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 11 Apr 2014, 16:12, edited 3 times in total.

Holm86

Have we ever seen the Mercedes exhaust turbine properly?? I wonder if they've created an axial flow turbine instead of centrifugal. Would exhaust pulses be less important in an axial flow turbine??

gruntguru
gruntguru

jz11 wrote:in my mind the threshold and lag are essentially the same thing (and something that competition turbocharged engine doesn't care about, since it it not there, or doesn't matter),
They are very different things. Lag is a throttle response delay which can occur at any rpm above the boost threshold eg engine is operating at max torque rpm but throttle is trailing eg during cornering and boost = zero. Driver nails throttle at corner exit, boost = very small number because turbo speed is low and torque is much lower than it should be at this rpm. Some time later the turbo has accelerated, full boost is available as is full torque. Time delay between driver nailing throttle and full boost arrival = turbo lag.
je suis charlie

dren

Holm86 wrote:Have we ever seen the Mercedes exhaust turbine properly?? I wonder if they've created an axial flow turbine instead of centrifugal. Would exhaust pulses be less important in an axial flow turbine??
At first I thought axial flow turbines were not permitted by the regulations, but they just limit the turbine to a single stage.

I found this in a google search if interested:

http://www.himech.files.wordpress.com/2 ... 72_ch7.pdf
Turbomachinery Design and Theory wrote:The choice of turbine depends on the application, though it is not
always clear that any one type is superior. For small mass flows, the radial
machine can be made more efficient than the axial one. The radial turbine is
capable of a high-pressure ratio per stage than the axial one. However, multistaging
is very much easier to arrange with the axial turbine, so that large overall
pressure ratios are not difficult to obtain with axial turbines.
Honda!

GitanesBlondes

Garrett Turbochargers had a write-up on their website regarding log-style versus tubular exhausts.
Manifold design on turbocharged applications is deceptively complex as there many factors to take into account and trade off General design tips for best overall performance are to:

-Maximize the radius of the bends that make up the exhaust primaries to maintain pulse energy
-Make the exhaust primaries equal length to balance exhaust reversion across all cylinders
-Avoid rapid area changes to maintain pulse energy to the turbine
-At the collector, introduce flow from all runners at a narrow angle to minimize "turning" of the flow in the collector
-For better boost response, minimize the exhaust volume between the exhaust ports and the turbine inlet
-For best power, tuned primary lengths can be used

Cast manifolds are commonly found on OEM applications, whereas welded tubular manifolds are found almost exclusively on aftermarket and race applications. Both manifold types have their advantages and disadvantages. Cast manifolds are generally very durable and are usually dedicated to one application. They require special tooling for the casting and machining of specific features on the manifold. This tooling can be expensive.

On the other hand, welded tubular manifolds can be custom-made for a specific application without special tooling requirements. The manufacturer typically cuts pre-bent steel U-bends into the desired geometry and then welds all of the components together. Welded tubular manifolds are a very effective solution. One item of note is durability of this design. Because of the welded joints, thinner wall sections, and reduced stiffness, these types of manifolds are often susceptible to cracking due to thermal expansion/contraction and vibration. Properly constructed tubular manifolds can last a long time, however. In addition, tubular manifolds can offer a substantial performance advantage over a log-type manifold.

A design feature that can be common to both manifold types is a " DIVIDED MANIFOLD" , typically employed with " DIVIDED " or "twin-scroll" turbine housings. Divided exhaust manifolds can be incorporated into either a cast or welded tubular manifolds (see Figure 5. and Figure 6.).

The concept is to DIVIDE or separate the cylinders whose cycles interfere with one another to best utilize the engine's exhaust pulse energy.

For example, on a four-cylinder engine with firing order 1-3-4-2, cylinder #1 is ending its expansion stroke and opening its exhaust valve while cylinder #2 still has its exhaust valve open (cylinder #2 is in its overlap period). In an undivided exhaust manifold, this pressure pulse from cylinder #1's exhaust blowdown event is much more likely to contaminate cylinder #2 with high pressure exhaust gas. Not only does this hurt cylinder #2's ability to breathe properly, but this pulse energy would have been better utilized in the turbine.

The proper grouping for this engine is to keep complementary cylinders grouped together-- #1 and #4 are complementary; as are cylinders #2 and #3. Because of the better utilization of the exhaust pulse energy, the turbine's performance is improved and boost increases more quickly.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga ... _manifolds
The way I understand it, is that while tubular would be more beneficial and efficient on a traditional turbocharged engine where you need to nurse the exhaust pulses for throttle response, the Merc unit is anything but traditional. The Offenhauser layout that the Merc unit is mimicking gives a tremendous packaging advantage to the Mercedes W05. The key lies in the split turbo setup that Mercedes is running where the turbine is being spun up by the MGU-H to eliminate turbo lag. A tubular exhaust setup doesn't matter here since there is no benefit to be had. I'm sure someone with more knowledge can chime in on this.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

GitanesBlondes

riff_raff wrote:No race engine would use a log-type exhaust manifold. Tuned headers are always far more effective, even with a turbocharger.
You must not be familiar with the Drake-Offenhauser.

Take a look at Mark Donohue's 1972 Sunoco McLaren M16B powered by the Offy...

"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

xpensive
xpensive

There is no debate that the tubular exhaust is gives far better throttle-response, picking up every single pulse

Image;

But with Mercedes' ingenious twin-clutch turbo solution, they don't need it as they can disconnect the inertia of
the turbine and spool-up the compressor with the MGU-H only, resulting in a log-style packaging solution like this;

This is the reason why the 2014 season is the way it is.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

gruntguru
gruntguru

Is that for real - a twin clutch MGUH solution? If that is true, Mercedes has found a way around the MGUK limit.

If they have a large amount of energy stored they can potentially de-clutch the turbine and drive the supercharger electrically, reducing exhaust back pressure to increase power from the piston engine while simultaneously powering the MGUK (from storage) at the limit permitted by the rules. This will deplete the stored energy more quickly but allow a temporary power advantage over the other teams.
je suis charlie

xpensive
xpensive

There you go gg, think turbine - clutch - MGUH - clutch - compressor. Ingenious and its all within the rules.

As you said, this is where their poweradvantage is coming from. De-clutching the compressor and sending all turbine power to the MGUH whenever it's not needed is your other alternative. Superswift electromagnetic clutches makes it possible.

wuzak
wuzak

xpensive wrote:There you go gg, think turbine - clutch - MGUH - clutch - compressor. Ingenious and its all within the rules.

As you said, this is where their poweradvantage is coming from. De-clutching the compressor and sending all turbine power to the MGUH whenever it's not needed is your other alternative. Superswift electromagnetic clutches makes it possible.

Actually, no it is not legal.
5.1.6 Pressure charging may only be effected by the use of a sole single stage compressor linked to a sole single stage exhaust turbine by a shaft assembly parallel to the engine crankshaft and within 25mm of the car centre line. The shaft must be designed so as to ensure that the shaft assembly, the compressor and the turbine always rotate about a common axis and at the same angular velocity, an electrical motor generator (MGU-H) may be directly coupled to it.
So, the shaft assembly can be composed of many differnt bits, but at no time can any of those bits rotate at a different speed.

The MGUH can be clutched to the turbo, but the turbine and compressor cannot.
5.2.4 The MGU-H must be solely mechanically linked to the exhaust turbine of a pressure charging system. This mechanical link must be of fixed speed ratio to the exhaust turbine and may be clutched.
A dual clutch system wouldn't give any benefit.

My take on the power advantage of the Mercedes is that are utilising the ERS better. IMO Ferrari and Renault are relying more on the wastegate rather than the MGUH to control the turbo. Basically Mercedes are further along the PU's evolution.

Ferrari have stated that they are getting a big PU step (ie more power) for Canada. With the physical design fixed by homologation, the only things they can really change are fuel and the control program. Fuel may give small advances at this time, but changes to the program to utilise the MGUH more should give quite decent gains.

And one of the teams said the biggest advantage Mercedes had was at the end of long straights. That strongly suggests to me they are getting more out of the MGUH and ar efeeding it directly to the MGUK.

xpensive
xpensive

an electrical motor generator (MGU-H) may be directly coupled to it.

Which overruns it all, when it "may be".

wuzak
wuzak

xpensive wrote:an electrical motor generator (MGU-H) may be directly coupled to it.

Which overruns it all, when it "may be".
Overruns what?

The turbine and compressor must:
a) be coaxial, and
b) turn at the same speed.

Adding an MGUH to the system is optional.

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

Where did this twin clutch idea originate from? is there a source?

I think the Log exhaust system will have very different characteristics throughout the rev range. At lower RPM, the pulse effects of the individual exhausts will be much greater as the flow in the header will be at a relatively low frequency. This would suit a twin scroll turbine as there will be a much more pronounced effect from the individual exhaust pulses. At higher RPM the individual pulses will be much more compressed causing a much higher frequency in the header. The response of the turbine will be significantly reduced to the higher frequency due to inertial effects and will be far steadier.
What that rev range is depends entirely on the exhaust length, and the polar inertia of the turbine (and compressor and MGUH).

One other aspect of the turbo that is teasing me, are Mercedes using the MGUH to throttle boost pressure based on traction. i.e. are Mercedes (or any other team) controlling the torque output by throttling the boost pressure with the MGUH on acceleration in traction zones. I dont have any evidence to suggest this is happening, but it seems like a viable solution with the current regulations.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna