Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
GhostF1
GhostF1

Re: Honda Power Unit

ZakB wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 12:00
GhostF1 wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 11:46
Nothing in that article suggests it's a definite that Ilmor are working with Honda. It says Honda are open to outside consultants, however who and how will not be revealed. The Ilmor part is speculative.
The little bit about Toro Rosso suggests to me this is an old article posted later.
No way STR are going to suddenly swing back and say yes.
Learn to read.
Although Honda has not revealed exactly who it has been using, sources have confirmed that the highly-respected Ilmor operation is one of those that has been working hard to help it overcome its difficulties.
with the Italian team’s discussions with the Japanese manufacturer understood to not be totally over.
Thanks for the arrogance mate. If all it takes to confirm something to you is some random.article during the break quoting "unnamed, vague sources have confirmed" then you are even more ignorant than you seem. I'd love to know what "sources" these are considering both main parties aren't confirming anything. It has been a different manufacturer/company assisting Honda every weekend...

The same sources say Honda have been running on 3 cylinders the whole season as a troll to the other manufacturers... 🙄
Really now..

godlameroso

Can we be reasonable with each other? Zak.B has his opinion as do you, as do I, no need to let things get personal. Only people that should take it personal are the people sweating and toiling in long sleepless days. All the resources and effort involved, only those people can take it personal. It's good that people are so passionate and interested, and at the same time we're not as invested as those people working on the engine, and chassis, investing massive resources, both physical, mental, and economical.

Honda wants to win, but building a competitive engine is a process. It takes many steps, the correct organization and workflow. Figuring that out was lacking at the beginning, ultimately all problems arose from a perfect storm of factors. Mostly boiling down to lack of experience in some key factors which affected the end product. The problem is not so much a lack of engineering capability as it was a lack of preparation.

This is what any new automaker will suffer if they come into this realm of combustion wizardry. Unless they know what they have to build and to what tolerances and capacities, and mapping strategies, they're going to be hugely outclassed. Figuring all this out with a rushed idea was probably not the best move possible but it was the only one available. They took the plunge into the metaphorical shark tank, confident they could beat it without having tried before. Well, time and sharks wait for no man.

Now they know what to do, the steps are in place, and now all we can do is wait for the result of their hard work. Even if it's not a big improvement in Spa, constantly chipping away at a difference can turn into something significant if you stop paying attention for even an instant.
Saishū kōnā

diffuser

GoranF1 wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 11:14
Wazari said Honda has some outside help but not Illmor.
Pretty sure he said that they had outside help period.

They were working with Gilles Simon last year. Mario Illien was seen early in 2017 visiting Honda in japan. A few weeks later, Simon contract with Honda was not renewed. Then around the same time it was announced that iLmor's contract with Merc was allowed to expired.

This was all talked about here back at that time. Well here or McLaren Honda pages. Since this is all speculation.

GoranF1
GoranF1

diffuser wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 17:48
GoranF1 wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 11:14
Wazari said Honda has some outside help but not Illmor.
Pretty sure he said that they had outside help period.

They were working with Gilles Simon last year. Mario Illien was seen early in 2017 visiting Honda in japan. A few weeks later, Simon contract with Honda was not renewed. Then around the same time it was announced that iLmor's contract with Merc was allowed to expired.

This was all talked about here back at that time. Well here or McLaren Honda pages. Since this is all speculation.
Lets hope Mclaren does better now that they switched to Illmor engines.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

harjan wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 16:50
Ferrari, Renault and Mercedes have all build their engines with outside knowledge.

How come people in here go jumping up and down when they learn Honda has hired Ilmor. We should be glad that they're finally making decent gains, whichever way they've done it.

120 bhp down, breaking down in the warm up lap and then shouting: "but we haven't used any outside knowledge!" would have been a far bigger issue.
Which mistery company has helped mercedes then ?

Macklaren
Macklaren

Mudflap wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 19:54
harjan wrote:
Ferrari, Renault and Mercedes have all build their engines with outside knowledge.

How come people in here go jumping up and down when they learn Honda has hired Ilmor. We should be glad that they're finally making decent gains, whichever way they've done it.

120 bhp down, breaking down in the warm up lap and then shouting: "but we haven't used any outside knowledge!" would have been a far bigger issue.
Ilmor....for years...

diffuser

anyways, I just think this is a waist of a conversation.

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

Macklaren wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 20:03
Mudflap wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 19:54
harjan wrote:

Ilmor....for years...
No they haven't. Mercedes HPP WAS Ilmor until Morgan died. They even keep the old Merc-Ilmor engines behind the reception desk!

What's left of Ilmor is a fraction of the original company, they wouldnt have the resources to help 3x F1 teams and do the Indy engine at the same time.

Joseki
Joseki

AMuS:

Vandoorne with a new PU (+35 on the grid), Fernando will have the update at Monza if it's worth it.

I think it's an incremental update, 10 hp or so.

etusch

So they expect fernando can finish in points at spa with hungary engine

ZakB
ZakB

GhostF1 wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 17:08
ZakB wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 12:00
GhostF1 wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 11:46
Nothing in that article suggests it's a definite that Ilmor are working with Honda. It says Honda are open to outside consultants, however who and how will not be revealed. The Ilmor part is speculative.
The little bit about Toro Rosso suggests to me this is an old article posted later.
No way STR are going to suddenly swing back and say yes.
Learn to read.
Although Honda has not revealed exactly who it has been using, sources have confirmed that the highly-respected Ilmor operation is one of those that has been working hard to help it overcome its difficulties.
with the Italian team’s discussions with the Japanese manufacturer understood to not be totally over.
Thanks for the arrogance mate. If all it takes to confirm something to you is some random.article during the break quoting "unnamed, vague sources have confirmed" then you are even more ignorant than you seem. I'd love to know what "sources" these are considering both main parties aren't confirming anything. It has been a different manufacturer/company assisting Honda every weekend...

The same sources say Honda have been running on 3 cylinders the whole season as a troll to the other manufacturers... 🙄
Really now..
Funny how you didn't comment on the Toro Rosso piece.

So you only believe sources that are being called by their name? Autosport/Motorsport don't make up stories.
But sources with good knowledge of the situation have indicated matters are slightly different, and that the contract between Sauber and Honda announced earlier this year was never officially completed and activated.
Again the use of sources, but you probably didn't believe that as well right?

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

etusch wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 21:27
So they expect fernando can finish at spa with hungary engine
I've fixed this for you.

Sayeman

So Mark hughes says Mercedes is assisting Honda, Autosport says Ilmore is assisting Honda, seems like as soon as HOnda shows improvement every other company is adding their names to the rumor mill to steal some credit.
Never Give up.

Del Boy
Del Boy

Joseki wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 12:35
It has been a quiet summer break in terms of rumors about future updates, I remember that last year we already knew that Honda was bringing a 20 hp update at Spa with a new ICE/TC and then another update for October (the famous Spec 4 later postponed to 2017).
It's quite strange, isn't it? All the "leakers" went silent, I wonder if something changed at Sakura.
Wazari retired :wink:

Andres125sx

etusch wrote:
So they expect fernando can finish in points at spa with hungary engine
Don´t think so, I´d say they´re not sure if Vandoorne will finish with the new PU :wink:

Or this :mrgreen:
Mudflap wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 22:08
etusch wrote:
So they expect fernando can finish at spa with hungary engine
I've fixed this for you.