Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Joseki
Joseki

Re: Honda Power Unit

With Honda the good updates are always a few months away, then they get postponed before being canned for others good updates (repeat for 3 years).

radosav
radosav

When could Honda bring Spec4 ?

ZakB
ZakB

radosav wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 18:33
When could Honda bring Spec4 ?
Monza, but that isn't the big update. That one will come in October after the Japanese GP; too little, too late.

foofykid
foofykid

Spec 4 is coming out in October, no engine upgrades are scheduled this weekend where are you getting this info?

nzjrs

foofykid wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 19:28
Spec 4 is coming out in October, no engine upgrades are scheduled this weekend where are you getting this info?
Everyone is confusing the naming. There is very little new info.

HPD

I think Honda is fighting Alonso and Mclaren. If Mclaren is pushing Honda to quit formula 1, putting more drag is the best way .. But it would not change much the situation, as the article says. But Honda will make it much worse.
Autosport plus version. By Gary Anderson

"Force India isn't the only team with driver problems. Again, Fernando Alonso had trouble with Honda at Spa and he's clearly now at the point where he's fed up with the situation. He wants to be in a competitive package and he does not have that with McLaren-Honda.

He's made some pretty poor decisions lately, is he about to make another one with his career? It looks like he might have parked a healthy car at the weekend, and that's never good for team morale - not that anyone in the McLaren garage is happy with the situation.

To add to Honda's problems, I don't understand why, for some very strange reason, when everyone else removed the most draggy parts from their cars, McLaren continued to use such parts. With a car that we all know - and as Alonso keeps reminding us every race - doesn't have the power of the others, optimising it for the mid-section of the track means that it is sacrificing performance in section one and three.

I believe a better compromise was there to be had. Would it have made much difference? Probably not but it would have meant it might just have been able to hold its own on those long straights just that little bit better.

After all, Alonso confused his engine in qualifying by taking Pouhon flat, which again suggests the balance wasn't right."

dren

Wazari wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 03:15
IMO, two main issues still remain, ERS system management and ICE fuel efficiency.
Curious about the ERS. In your opinion, are the individual motor/generators not the issue, but the controls and interaction between components? I'd assume, based on Honda's history, that the MGUK and brake regen is fine. Perhaps it is an energy flow bottleneck as has been talked on here a lot over the years of this formula.
Honda!

PlatinumZealot

Tommy Cookers wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 11:14
and this is the point where I say that what is being called back pressure is not really back pressure ......

if the induction pressure is 4 bar and the exhaust pressure is 5 bar that's back pressure
if the induction pressure is 4 bar and the exhaust pressure is 4 bar that's not back pressure
if the induction pressure is 4 bar and the exhaust pressure is 1 bar that's forward pressure

the back pressure mystique comes from NA where in most driving (because it's throttled) there's back pressure (useful for control of course)
I am assured that car turbos do not have back pressure

because of the MGUH F1 can have back pressure, neutral pressure and forward pressure
Once it is not atmospheric pressure or lower it is back pressure. That is pressure resisting free-flow. By nature, a turbine is not free flow.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

loner

HPD wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 21:00
I think Honda is fighting Alonso and Mclaren. If Mclaren is pushing Honda to quit formula 1, putting more drag is the best way .. But it would not change much the situation, as the article says. But Honda will make it much worse.

"Force India isn't the only team with driver problems. Again, Fernando Alonso had trouble with Honda at Spa and he's clearly now at the point where he's fed up with the situation. He wants to be in a competitive package and he does not have that with McLaren-Honda.

He's made some pretty poor decisions lately, is he about to make another one with his career? It looks like he might have parked a healthy car at the weekend, and that's never good for team morale - not that anyone in the McLaren garage is happy with the situation.

To add to Honda's problems, I don't understand why, for some very strange reason, when everyone else removed the most draggy parts from their cars, McLaren continued to use such parts. With a car that we all know - and as Alonso keeps reminding us every race - doesn't have the power of the others, optimising it for the mid-section of the track means that it is sacrificing performance in section one and three.

I believe a better compromise was there to be had. Would it have made much difference? Probably not but it would have meant it might just have been able to hold its own on those long straights just that little bit better.

After all, Alonso confused his engine in qualifying by taking Pouhon flat, which again suggests the balance wasn't right."
yeah lets have some conspiracy theories :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Honda don't want to deliver as a revenge for what Mclaren did to Arai and Dennis so mclaren do whatever they can to humiliate Honda :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
para bellum.

ZakB
ZakB

HPD wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 21:00

Gary Anderson, the biggest McLaren hater I have seen a long time. He already started in the winter when he said the chassis didn't look good, while the problems were being caused by the vibrations of the Honda engine. The Ferrari's were taking Pouhon also flat. McLaren needs to leave Honda as soon as possible.
foofykid wrote:
Spec 4 was plannend for Spa and could arrive in Monza. The update for October will be named differently.

Wazari

dren wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 21:45

Curious about the ERS. In your opinion, are the individual motor/generators not the issue, but the controls and interaction between components? I'd assume, based on Honda's history, that the MGUK and brake regen is fine. Perhaps it is an energy flow bottleneck as has been talked on here a lot over the years of this formula.
IMO the management of harvesting heat/exhaust energy to the MGU-H unit and the relationship of all the components involved in the ERS needs to be more efficient.

Spec 4 in my mind is the major upgrade hopefully coming later this season; not small upgrades that may be introduced this weekend.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

diffuser

nzjrs wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 20:07
foofykid wrote:
Everyone is confusing the naming. There is very little new info.
Lets call it Spec 4W for Wasari! The 1 for this weekend is just spec 4. Well at least till Hasegawa Christens it something else.

ZakB
ZakB

Wazari wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 00:05
dren wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 21:45

IMO the management of harvesting heat/exhaust energy to the MGU-H unit and the relationship of all the components involved in the ERS needs to be more efficient.

Spec 4 in my mind is the major upgrade hopefully coming later this season; not small upgrades that may be introduced this weekend.
Yeah, but they are calling these small upgrades Spec 4, which confuses some people here.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... pa-944753/

HPD

Hasegawa:

- "Especially this time we have raised the low speed torque considerably and the low speed torque at the start and the start from the low speed corner is about as much as a mini car."

- "Since Spa-Francorchamps is not a place to use it so frequently because there are few low-speed corners (because it is a low-speed area), as performance does not go straight as it is, we assumed that the gain is about 0.1 seconds, but in fact I went even more.I think that I could go up to 11th place in the qualifying at such circuit thought that there was effect of spec 3.5. It was difficult to see because it is Belgium, but if this is Hungary the result is different I think that if you negotiate between Belgium and Italy, I think I can go to a good place in the race in the future. "

https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/mot ... ndex_2.php

zxof
zxof

Well regardless whatever blames Honda can point to McLaren (the 2015 design was McLaren's demand etc etc etc). It has been a miserable 3 years and whatever progress has been made clearly not substantial enough to even lift them up from the bottom (still behind Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault).

- 2015 (design problem, McLaren demanded this design
- 2016 (many progresses but our hands are tied with this the token system thing)
- 2017 (we're taking a big risk, few issues obviously I told you so! maybe the fix unlikely to be ready until Spanish GP in May)

Sure I do appreciate Yusuke-san attitude by not blaming Alonso but as a fan to be honest it doesnt make a difference whether the car DNF or 14th. It's painful enough watching McLaren struggling to even score few points.