Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Andres125sx

Re: Honda Power Unit

drunkf1fan wrote:Never meant to produce results in the first half of the season is a very strong thing to say considering both Honda and Mclaren were talking about decent points finishes within a few races.
Even if they said that, does that really change something?

This project was meant to produce a winning car in the medium to long term, some points or not at the first stages of the project does change nothing... if they manage to be competitive in the medium to long term obviously
drunkf1fan wrote:After the disaster of testing by Australia they were talking up Europe for massive steps forward into the points and mentioning podiums by midseason, wins at the end
Source?

Nevermind, even if they said that anyone with a bit of common sense who know what happened in pre-season testing knew this season was going to be a testing season to learn and develop the new PU

Maybe you got fooled by their optimistic advertisement wich probably was intended to get some sponsor, but even Alonso said repeteadly this season was going to be very difficult

Ok it´s being more difficult than anyone would have expected, but the main goal remains the same, to be competitive for 2016 season. To see if that will happen or not, we still have to wait

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Oh yes, they said all of that for sure, just an example:
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12479/9855457/a
Alonso wrote:“The final part of the championship – even if it’s a very ambitious target, I’m very optimistic - we need to be close to the podium positions,”
Though I agree with your post completely, as a fan, I find it very frustrating that I have to consider every statement PR. I know it's part of the sport, but for MCL-Honda it seems to be all PR and no reality.

Andres125sx

It´s very different what Alonso said (to be close to the podium at the end of the championship as an ambitious and optimistic target) from what drunkF1fan wrote (podiums midseason and wins at the end). Very very different.

btw, Alonso said he expected first points in Monaco, and they did

FW17

Is Gilles Simon working for Honda?

mrluke
mrluke

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/31146330 wrote:engineering director Matt Morris said: "We are not running at maximum performance at the moment.

Morris added: "We know where we are in terms of performance."

Morris did not specify where he thought the McLaren would be relative to their rivals if the engine was turned up to full power.

But he said the team were still confident they could achieve their target of starting the new season at the level they finished the last - when McLaren were competing for places just off the podium.
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24180/9726293/jenson-button-says-mclaren-wont-endure-another-tough-year-in-2015 wrote:despite still lagging behind their rivals in the mileage charts, Button is far from downbeat about McLaren’s prospects in 2015 and denied that a repeat of the last two seasons – when they finished on the podium at just one race – was on the cards.

“We are not in for another tough season – that is definitely not the case – but whether we are ready for the first race or not I can’t say right now. This is a very different situation to the last two years – the last two years we just weren’t quick enough, whereas now this is all very new for us," Button told reporters.

“We are not going to have a race-winning car at the first race, but we might have one at the last race,” the former world champion said.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118950 wrote:Arai firmly believes Honda is heading in the right direction and on target to realise its ambitions.

"Unfortunately the Spanish Grand Prix was an unexpected situation. We believed we could get points, but unfortunately we had trouble on Fernando's car [with the brakes], so it was a very pessimistic result.

"But maybe in Monaco or Canada we will have a much better chance of getting points, and then to achieve a podium in the middle of the season - we hope.

"It is a very important home race at Silverstone - high-speed corners, average speed is so high - so we want to achieve that target by the middle of the European season."

Asked of Arai whether he felt Ferrari and Williams could be caught in 2015, he replied: "Yeah, sure."

And Mercedes? "By the end of the season we should achieve that. That is our aim, the target," responded Arai.
Podiums by mid season and catching Merc by the end of the year. Morris & Button say that 2015 will be better than 2014.

I dont understand, either all of these figures are just outright lying or they are completely out of touch with reality. I am not sure which is worse.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

They probably saw things on the dyno and in the simulator that gave them cause for hope, only for the reality to dash it.
McLaren and Honda's seasons can probably be summed up as thus - Glimmers of hope dashed by unreliability.

diffuser

F1 is a sport. You don't have to judge anyone. We just need to look @ the points.

diffuser

taperoo2k wrote:They probably saw things on the dyno and in the simulator that gave them cause for hope, only for the reality to dash it.
McLaren and Honda's seasons can probably be summed up as thus - Glimmers of hope dashed by unreliability.
Pretty sure that everyone @ McLonda r disappointed with the results.
diffuser wrote:F1 is a sport. You don't have to judge anyone. We just need to look @ the points.

ringo

They say they will be able to use the ERS to it's full potential in Hungary.

Empty Promises or they found the root of their issues?
For Sure!!

Thunder

They say it is their goal to use full ERS, they didn't promise anything.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/2015/hu ... x-preview/ (Arai's Quote is at the bottom)

But i sure hope the niggling Problems will all be fixed and Honda can start squeezing some Performance out of the PU.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

multisync
multisync

ringo wrote:They say they will be able to use the ERS to it's full potential in Hungary.

To finish first, first you must finish. I think they are still working on the second part and will be into 2016.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Thunders wrote:They say it is their goal to use full ERS, they didn't promise anything.
Oooh, that's noticed very nicely. Anyway, even if they did promise, my feeling with Honda is: let's first see and then believe, they've said and promised so much that I've lost count of what hasn't come true, probably almost everything, there must be a reason for my frustrated feeling :wink: .

Thunder

True, i tend to ignore what Arai says lately. He clearly isn't the best when it comes to talking to the Media, especially when they are not Japanese.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Andres125sx

ringo wrote:They say they will be able to use the ERS to it's full potential in Hungary.

They´re saying they´ve solved their main reliability issues for some weeks, and Alonso is saying they will improve noticeably in next races for some weeks, so I´d say yes, they´ve found the root of their issues

What doesn´t mean they´ll run trouble free, but at least it looks like they´re moving forward

GoranF1
GoranF1

At each GP that off throtlle sound is louder and louder.
Can any one say what is the purpose of that...to keep spining TC while driver is off gas pedal maybe?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."