Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
turbof1

Re: Honda Power Unit

Ahem, guys...
topic title wrote:Honda Power Unit
#AeroFrodo

trinidefender
trinidefender

turbof1 wrote:Ahem, guys...
topic title wrote:Honda Power Unit
I was just using the RedBull/Ilmor/Renault connection to explain the situation why they can't just rebrand the engine as Mugen or Acura.

nevill3

They will just rewrite the rules to allow RedBull to remain in the sport. If a new rule regarding tokens for next year can be amended after the teams have carefully planned how to use the limited number they were to have next year to be suddenly told "hey you can have the same number as this year", a new rule regarding rebranding should be easy to write and would probably be accepted by the teams, after all Ferrari or Mercedes may need to use this rule themselves in the future so they can supply more than four teams as is the case now.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Joseki
Joseki

If Honda screw up next year, but I think and I hope it won't happen, they'll put themselves and McLaren in a horrible situation. I wonder how the guys at Sakura are living this situation, there must be an enormous amount of pressure on them. :?

Wazari

There is a lot of pressure. It comes from the top and trickles down. I have lived it. Especially this time of year. We had the "24 hour rule". No matter happened 24 hours ago, (win or lose), you move forward and push to improve. You push to eliminate any failures, design flaws, mechanical breakdowns, part failures, etc. Failure at Honda is just unacceptable and the internal criticism is probably tenfold of what they're hearing from the public or McLaren. I can't imagine what Arai-san is feeling. I spoke with my nephew briefly last night and he says the staff is extremely optimistic about their prospects for next season. The ICE he says is on par with everyone else they expect to have the best ICE at the start of the season. They also think they have the ideal solution for the MGU-H/K solution. Time will tell. I do know the Honda culture and there is no way any other engine manufacturer is working any harder.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Joseki
Joseki

I don't doubt the fact that everyone at Honda is working as hard as it is possible, but untill Barcelona it could either be a great power unit or another nightmare...

davidfroshanzen
davidfroshanzen

Wazari wrote:There is a lot of pressure. It comes from the top and trickles down. I have lived it. Especially this time of year. We had the "24 hour rule". No matter happened 24 hours ago, (win or lose), you move forward and push to improve. You push to eliminate any failures, design flaws, mechanical breakdowns, part failures, etc. Failure at Honda is just unacceptable and the internal criticism is probably tenfold of what they're hearing from the public or McLaren. I can't imagine what Arai-san is feeling. I spoke with my nephew briefly last night and he says the staff is extremely optimistic about their prospects for next season. The ICE he says is on par with everyone else they expect to have the best ICE at the start of the season. They also think they have the ideal solution for the MGU-H/K solution. Time will tell. I do know the Honda culture and there is no way any other engine manufacturer is working any harder.
Good news for mclaren honda fans

foxivan
foxivan

Wazari wrote:There is a lot of pressure. It comes from the top and trickles down. I have lived it. Especially this time of year. We had the "24 hour rule". No matter happened 24 hours ago, (win or lose), you move forward and push to improve. You push to eliminate any failures, design flaws, mechanical breakdowns, part failures, etc. Failure at Honda is just unacceptable and the internal criticism is probably tenfold of what they're hearing from the public or McLaren. I can't imagine what Arai-san is feeling. I spoke with my nephew briefly last night and he says the staff is extremely optimistic about their prospects for next season. The ICE he says is on par with everyone else they expect to have the best ICE at the start of the season. They also think they have the ideal solution for the MGU-H/K solution. Time will tell. I do know the Honda culture and there is no way any other engine manufacturer is working any harder.
I hope this true. Getting bored with all Merc powered cars in the front. Also want to make the sponsors which decided to leave Mclaren regret.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

I believe they will be in for q3 every race in 2016. Chassis looks really goed, no complains from Button about over/understeer or lack of control. Corner speeds and exit accelaration looks good.

Also they know what to fix about ERS.

Joseki
Joseki

Alonso said at the BBC that Honda made some "big changes" after the infamous "GP2 engine" team radio in Japan. He also said that he felt like this helped the team to focus more on what was needed to improve.

Wazari

Joseki wrote:Alonso said at the BBC that Honda made some "big changes" after the infamous "GP2 engine" team radio in Japan. He also said that he felt like this helped the team to focus more on what was needed to improve.
I think maybe Mr. Alonso might think too much of his comments. I don't think what Alonso said during the race had any bearing on the team's focus. The changes were already in the pipeline regardless of Alonso's comments. The only comments the Honda engineers pay attention to are from the race director and sometimes the drivers in designated staff meetings.

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Yes Honda has been improving ice power and reliability from the season beginning. But they were silent about the clearly wrong choice of ERS design. Even with the Ice running decent the last few races, ERS was lacking.

Joseki
Joseki

Wazari wrote:
Joseki wrote:Alonso said at the BBC that Honda made some "big changes" after the infamous "GP2 engine" team radio in Japan. He also said that he felt like this helped the team to focus more on what was needed to improve.
I think maybe Mr. Alonso might think too much of his comments. I don't think what Alonso said during the race had any bearing on the team's focus. The changes were already in the pipeline regardless of Alonso's comments. The only comments the Honda engineers pay attention to are from the race director and sometimes the drivers in designated staff meetings.

Actually was just some clickbait from BBCF1:

Formula 1: Fernando Alonso says public criticism helped Honda focus
Fernando Alonso says his criticisms of McLaren's Honda engine over team radio helped focus the company on the need to make drastic changes.

What Alonso said is:

"The actions we need to take next year to be competitive [are] quite extreme, for big problems you need big solutions, and I think maybe that helped a bit for the big solutions."

:roll:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/35007148

GoranF1
GoranF1

Wazari

If you were former Honda member and your nephew is current,it would be quite easy for Honda stuff to conect who you/him are.
You sure he wont get into trouble for those infos he gave you and you gave us and i gave entire Croatian F1 forum community.......and so on? ;)
By the way thanks for that,keep it up.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Wazari

A few members here know my name. I am mentioning only very general items or speculation from only my opinion with regards to the Honda PU. There are also things I know that I will not mention in public due to confidentiality reasons. I have more than a good idea in what direction Honda is going with their layout and what solution they are taking to resolve their ER, ES and deployment issues. All I can say is that the staff is very optimistic about the upcoming PU, I think they will catch up with the top teams including Merc in terms of output by mid-season 2016 and have a reliable PU. I think reliability is a bigger issue at this point than output.

-- Honda Soichiro