Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Phil

Re: Honda Power Unit

Thunders wrote:I'm baffled why there is still People out there that think McLaren or Honda dictated anything to another. Building that PU is a joint Effort and BOTH sides seem Happy with the way they are going. Honda is eager to show they can make a competitive PU as small as possible (read the bit "Lucky" posted above) and nobody at McLaren will complain if they can shrink their Bodywork.

Sometimes in these Threads one could mean they work against each other......
The key point I think is that one party has to be able to trust another. It goes both ways. Honda doesn't build the car or the aero, they build the engine. So they need to be able to trust in the competence of their partner - McLaren - to know what they are doing. The opposite holds true too; McLaren doesn't build the power-unit. So they need to trust in the ability and competence of their partner - Honda - to know what they are doing.

It's about finding the right compromise. You either build an aero optimized masterpiece, but if the engine needs to be constraint in a way it no longer works, the package will not work. The opposite holds true too; Honda can't build an uncompromising engine without any trade-offs - a masterpiece of an engine with the CW of a truck will not beat anyone.

So it's easy to conclude that in a joint effort, both sit down and discuss various options. A size-zero concept is weighed against what Honda thinks they can deliver on the engine side and what McLaren can do with the benefits of that on the aero side. That indirectly translates to laptime and on-track performance. The problem then starts when one of the party underachieve - either because the aero is not as effective as it should be, or the engine isn't. Or it works perfectly to the expectations of both parties, but then they find out that another approach they hadn't thought of, or dismissed, gets better results.

In the end, it still comes down to level of competence. How competent are Honda in knowing what they can and can not achieve. The same applies to McLaran. And as joint-effort, how competent are they both to know which design choice achieves the best possible results. This trust or lack of it is what effectively brought down the relationship between Redbull and Renault. It will be very interesting to see how the relationship with Honda and McLaren shape up to be, even in regards to the design choice of the size-zero concept they are pursuing. They are pursuing that for a reason, because they both believe under the assumption that both parties are competent in their field of expertise, that this can produce a winning package.

2016 will show if that package will 1.) work 2.) be competitive. If it doesn't - one if not both parties will be facing hard questions as to why it isn't.

EDIT: Started replying a bit to early, now after reading Wazari's post and this one:
Thunders wrote:If it was really like that and the former Honda President gave McLaren a Carte Blanche that must have been one of the most stupid decisions of his Career. That is limiting them in sooo many Ways to just be able to react..... At the same Time no one could really blame McLaren then. If your Works Partner doesn't give honest Feedback and Input about what they think is best how would anyone know what works best as a Package. That's almost a guaranteed Fail.
This.

Honda can only do a good enough job given the constraints they are set. What baffles me a bit is that McLaren ran the Mercedes engine in 2014, so they were aware of what that produces. I could imagine that at some point within the joint-venture with Honda, they asked - can you deliver this sort of power on a smaller scale (size-zero) so that we can reap additional aero rewards. Or less power, but felt that the gains they could make on the aero packaging would still outweigh the power deficit. Then the question is, did Honda deliver given the constraints they were given, or did they underachieve? Either way - 2015 was probably an eye opener for both of them. Given the size-zero concept is still being actively pursued, I can only imagine that both have faith in each others decision making and feel that the package can be competitive, even under the assumption that the Mercedes and Ferrari packages are evolving further and making gains too.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

godlameroso

On the few races they completed, they were on average about half a second slower with the Honda(2015) engine vs the Mercedes(2014).
Saishū kōnā

GoranF1
GoranF1

godlameroso wrote:On the few races they completed, they were on average about half a second slower with the Honda(2015) engine vs the Mercedes(2014).
i think Honda first ICE was better than Mercedes first V6 ICE.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Facts Only
Facts Only

Based on what? Sounds like some clutching at straws there.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

hemichromis
hemichromis

GoranF1 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:On the few races they completed, they were on average about half a second slower with the Honda(2015) engine vs the Mercedes(2014).
i think Honda first ICE was better than Mercedes first V6 ICE.
ICE maybe but the whole package was alot weaker than the Merc 2014 unit.

It was rumored that Mercedes gave Mclaren a weaker version of the engine as they were moving to Honda. I would struggle to believe that.

The alternative is that Mclaren's car was 1-1.5s a lap quicker in 2015 than 2014....

GoranF1
GoranF1

Facts Only wrote:Based on what? Sounds like some clutching at straws there.
Well, i am not sure 100% but if Honda really had a piece of crap ERS,the lap times between 2014--2015 Mclaren were quite close,that is probably due to better aero and a very good ICE at least towards the end of year.

EDIT; and yes i am trying to calm myself by trying to find positives from 2015. :wink:

Facts Only
Facts Only

hemichromis wrote:
It was rumored that Mercedes gave Mclaren a weaker version of the engine as they were moving to Honda. I would struggle to believe that.
Its utter rubbish to suggest that Mercedes underhandedly supplied McLaren a worse engine. The only truth is that McLaren specified themselves a weaker version of the engine by insisting on using Mobil Fuel. Even Williams with there Petrobas sponsorship were clever enough to go with the works fuel supplier.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

turbof1

GoranF1 wrote:
Facts Only wrote:Based on what? Sounds like some clutching at straws there.
Well, i am not sure 100% but if Honda really had a piece of crap ERS,the lap times between 2014--2015 Mclaren were quite close,that is probably due to better aero and a very good ICE at least towards the end of year.

EDIT; and yes i am trying to calm myself by trying to find positives from 2015. :wink:
They didn't have a bad ICE. I neither think it would have been as good as the 2014 Merc ICE, but they were able to quickly develop it.

It'll probably be a better season, but the real question will be if their philosophy holds value concerning the TC.
#AeroFrodo

GoranF1
GoranF1

Facts Only wrote:
hemichromis wrote:
Its utter rubbish to suggest that Mercedes underhandedly supplied McLaren a worse engine. The only truth is that McLaren specified themselves a weaker version of the engine by insisting on using Mobil Fuel. Even Williams with there Petrobas sponsorship were clever enough to go with the works fuel supplier.

I am sorry mate,i have a very very good opinion on you usually, but i just can not agree whit this!
We are talking about 2014 here,as in 21 st. Honesty,fairness come on...after they announced they are moving to Honda,no way!
They didnt give the same package to Mclaren as they did to their Bosses wife and them selfs no way!

Facts Only
Facts Only

GoranF1 wrote:
Facts Only wrote:
hemichromis wrote:

I am sorry mate,i have a very very good opinion on you usually, but i just can not agree whit this!
We are talking about 2014 here,as in 21 st. Honesty,fairness come on...after they announced they are moving to Honda,no way!
They didnt give the same package to Mclaren as they did to their Bosses wife and them selfs no way!
Yes they did, you can argue the point to the end of time but it doesn't change what actually happened.

It wouldn't have been of any benefit to HPP to hobble McLaren, McLaren could still see the innovative layout and they didn't have access to the internals or software anyway so what would changing the engine to make it worse have achieved?

You do realise that the personnel at HPP (all of them) get a bonus based on results that the engines achieve, (in all cars not just the works car) so by hobbling Mclarens engines they would be taking money out of their own pocket and family bank accounts.

Also I know that the HPP guys just aren't vindictive aresholes that would shaft the people that they had worked side-by-side with for nearly 20 years.

As said, the only difference was the Mobil fuel, the PU was designed specially from day one for the Petronas fuel so anything else was always going to result in less power. That wasn't HPP's decision though, it was Mclarens.

turbof1

I do believe that concerning service support mclaren would only have gotten the minimum or atleast less then the other teams. Based on only reasoning, I think Mercedes would have been keen to reduce data transfer in order to not feed Honda too much data.

However, I also believe Mclaren got the exact same hardware. Maybe when reliability updates were made that Mclaren would be lower on the priority order, but that would be it, if that was even the case in the first place.
#AeroFrodo

dren

I don't think requirements from Mclaren is the biggest issue or cause for Honda to create a weak PU in 2015. The early rush to get back into F1 a bit prematurely is likely a big contributor. I expect a much improved PU in 2016. I still think it'll be a bit off the mark of the Ferrari and Mercedes, but it'll put the team in distance of good points. My only concern is reliability. I can see Button in the lead of a wet race only to have his PU blow on the last lap.
Honda!

Facts Only
Facts Only

turbof1 wrote:I do believe that concerning service support mclaren would only have gotten the minimum or atleast less then the other teams. Based on only reasoning, I think Mercedes would have been keen to reduce data transfer in order to not feed Honda too much data.

However, I also believe Mclaren got the exact same hardware. Maybe when reliability updates were made that Mclaren would be lower on the priority order, but that would be it, if that was even the case in the first place.
It was actually part of McLaren legacy contract that they would have the same spec PU as the works team and be first in the queue before FIF1 and Williams.

Wazari

The subject of a engine manufacturer supplying multiple teams while having a "works" team is a delicate one. Mr. Facts Only, I assume you have been involved in F1 so you probably know about all the political workings the lay behind layer after layer (like peeling an onion). I don't believe Mercedes would sabotage PU's supplied to another team. Also although it's true that bonuses are paid for performances by all teams supplied, the amount of bonuses for each team's success is not equal. IE, a win by Williams might not be the same amount paid out as a win by Mercedes. So really you just need to make sure that all your teams supplied do better than the competitors. Then you have competition among the teams you supply and that's where things can get dicey. Technical support is one area where they can be differences as someone has previously mentioned. This is definitely a true factor.

There are also some things that can be a slightly different that may not fall under the FIA's scrutiny. One area, where maybe (just maybe) there maybe some differences. I doubt the FIA pays attention to this forum so....very minute differences in valve seat angles, a few grams differences in the valves themselves......just purely hypothetical speculation.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

turbof1

Facts Only wrote:
turbof1 wrote:I do believe that concerning service support mclaren would only have gotten the minimum or atleast less then the other teams. Based on only reasoning, I think Mercedes would have been keen to reduce data transfer in order to not feed Honda too much data.

It was actually part of McLaren legacy contract that they would have the same spec PU as the works team and be first in the queue before FIF1 and Williams.
I also think that many people underestimate the absolute mess mclaren created in the aerodynamics department. Williams beat them with the same PU and with less resources. It might give the wrong impression that mclaren did not got the same hardware, while in reality they did.

Ultimately, mclaren made the correct move to Honda. PU integration into the chassis is a very vital advantage for work teams, something you can't get as customer even when you get the same PU hardware.
#AeroFrodo