Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Honda Power Unit

hurril wrote:
FW17 wrote:I remember this last year they were around 428 nm torque

This year the figures are between 450 and 475 nm @ 11500 rpm

This would be a range of 732 to 773 HP

But I think this figure is a self sustaining mode and not pure IC

Can anyone explain why the torque shoots up to 525 nm during one of the shifting phases?
Quite the difference between yours and ringos numbers. How come?
They look at different shots in the video that's why.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

davidfroshanzen
davidfroshanzen

Honda fan wrote:This is a program that has been broadcast by the broadcast stations that of Japan NHK (national broadcaster).

https://youtu.be/UulZonQ7QOg
Link is broken,,,, someone can provide another link please?

Andres125sx

I find it surprising, this thread was extremely active in pre-season, and now the new PUs is running and it´s improved quite a lot, there´re no comments at all...

Nobody comparing power with previous PU, making bhp guess, or figuring out if ERS is at other´s manufacturers level or not?

Andres125sx

What about Jenson´s PU problem?

GoranF1
GoranF1

Andres125sx wrote:I find it surprising, this thread was extremely active in pre-season, and now the new PUs is running and it´s improved quite a lot, there´re no comments at all...

Nobody comparing power with previous PU, making bhp guess, or figuring out if ERS is at other´s manufacturers level or not?
Mclaren is running compromized df levels, reability is not good and performance is not good, improved yes but really not alot.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

diffuser

GoranF1 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:I find it surprising, this thread was extremely active in pre-season, and now the new PUs is running and it´s improved quite a lot, there´re no comments at all...

Mclaren is running compromized df levels, reability is not good and performance is not good, improved yes but really not alot.
I think there were alot of pics comparing the 2 PUs in Melbourne. As far as the BHP guess, I never found that useful.

I think we miss Wazari!

Andres125sx

Well, perfomance is not good if compared with Mercedes, but compared with past season´s PU it´s great

We no longer see 20kmh top speed deficit, they´re not flypassed anymore at the straights, and can even overtake with DRS, that´s a great step forward

Only that reliability showed up again with Jenson´s retirment. I´m looking forward some explanation at the respect

But at least reliability is not worse than past season, while perfomance has increased a lot. IMO this is a good step forward for first races. This is only first PU of second season, or first attempt to solve the serious problems they had past season. More upgrades will come soon, but first have put McHonda directly in the midfield, with lots of room for improvement yet

Now deployment can be compared with the rest, and that was the most basic aspect they had to solve. It´s solved, not they can continue developing and improving, and they´ll do

Andres125sx

How many tokens did they finally use in winter?

And the rest?

Thunder

@Andres125sx: Page 220 ;) I'm quoting myself.
Thunders wrote:https://twitter.com/ianparkesf1/status/ ... 5701722113

So they can easily incorporate the Mercedes "secret" during the Season. :D
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

godlameroso

Honda used a little over half of it's available tokens to upgrade over the winter. The Power unit is as good as Mercedes power unit last year. Or at least the power unit in the Mclaren Chassis is as fast as Mercedes was last year. Only it's not good enough because Mercedes has made a nice step forward. Vandoorne finished the race roughly as fast as Hamilton last year, with an extra pit stop.

Catching up a season late isn't good enough, Honda needs to make an equal step forward with their power unit as they did over the winter, and McLaren need to improve the chassis. Neither is quite good enough at the moment, if both outfits hit their targets I don't see why they couldn't be 3rd best team, my guess is they'll be fighting it out with Red Bull for the rest of the year once they find their stride.

Mercedes and Ferrari are simply in another league on most tracks.
Saishū kōnā

a1b2i3r45

Honda used 18 tokens over the winter, so they have 14 left. Anyone care to speculate when they are gonna use the tokens and in which area. AFAIK honda concentrated on improving reliability and deployment over the winter, maybe they will now concentrate on different combustion concepts :?: :?: :?:

namao
namao

godlameroso wrote:Neither is quite good enough at the moment, if both outfits hit their targets I don't see why they couldn't be 3rd best team, my guess is they'll be fighting it out with Red Bull for the rest of the year once they find their stride.

I don't think so. They spent 18 tokens and nowadays they are the 13th or 14th car on equal conditions on a normal race day. Obviously this is going to change when they introduce the rest of tokens after the summer's break, but not too much. Maybe 10th in a dry non-accidents normal race. I don't think all problems are because of Honda.

hemichromis
hemichromis

namao wrote:
godlameroso wrote:Neither is quite good enough at the moment, if both outfits hit their targets I don't see why they couldn't be 3rd best team, my guess is they'll be fighting it out with Red Bull for the rest of the year once they find their stride.

I don't think so. They spent 18 tokens and nowadays they are the 13th or 14th car on equal conditions on a normal race day. Obviously this is going to change when they introduce the rest of tokens after the summer's break, but not too much. Maybe 10th in a dry non-accidents normal race. I don't think all problems are because of Honda.
13th or 14th car?

No! They will soon be a into the top 10 with regularity from what we have seen so far.
other teams were genuinely impressed with Buttons time in FP2. Vandoorne is great but Button was faster for the almost every lap until his DNF.
I would fully expect for Alonso and Button to be looking at 7-10 on most tracks with lower speed tracks i like to think they could get a bit higher but to get higher than 7th looks difficult at the moment.

Andres125sx

Thank you Thunders :D

It looks contradictory that Mercedes and Ferrari are the teams who spent most tokens, while Honda and Renault spent the fewer.

There must be some schedule to first test current modifications before introducing new ones. Or that´s my guess since they had to modify the ERS completely, and considering how complicated are these PUs that may be the most reasonable plan before running out of tokens

GoranF1
GoranF1

a1b2i3r45 wrote:Honda used 18 tokens over the winter, so they have 14 left. Anyone care to speculate when they are gonna use the tokens and in which area. AFAIK honda concentrated on improving reliability and deployment over the winter, maybe they will now concentrate on different combustion concepts :?: :?: :?:
they will move the compessor to rear and they will work on pre-chamber trickery like Mercedes and Ferrari do......those are rumors anyway.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."