Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ringo

Re: Honda Power Unit

hemichromis wrote:could 'ALPHA_d' be throttle?

716bhp would certainly be too weak for the ICE combined with full MGU-K.
886bhp does sound more like it, so maybe this was run was carried out without MGU-K assistance.

Great find anyway.
It can be from the K and be 726hp. If the MGUH power was being sent directly to the K it doesn't have to be the maximum 160hp deployed. It may well be 50, who knows.
For Sure!!

hemichromis
hemichromis

As i understand the regs the driver an have no direct control of the ERS system so it all has to be mapped in modes.
Still i see an overtake button on the steering wheel so maybe i have misinterpreted them.

diffuser

hemichromis wrote:As i understand the regs the driver an have no direct control of the ERS system so it all has to be mapped in modes.
Still i see an overtake button on the steering wheel so maybe i have misinterpreted them.
I would interpreter that to be a very specific PU MAP.

godlameroso

Well the overtake button is a quick toggle for a very aggressive engine mode, it's not overtake per-se it's more a put the hammer down quick key. 100kg of fuel and 100kg/hr and most races are 1hr:30min or more, if they went full tilt for the whole race they'd be out of gas with 3/4ths of the race to go. So no matter how you slice it you have to do some management.
Saishū kōnā

gruntguru
gruntguru

godlameroso wrote:Well the overtake button is a quick toggle for a very aggressive engine mode, it's not overtake per-se it's more a put the hammer down quick key. 100kg of fuel and 100kg/hr and most races are 1hr:30min or more, if they went full tilt for the whole race they'd be out of gas with 3/4ths of the race to go. So no matter how you slice it you have to do some management.
They don't need full power for 1:30. Corners, braking etc.
je suis charlie

gruntguru
gruntguru

Nice dyno screenshots. This is interesting:
vCar = 170.0kph (obvious)
rThPdl = 100% (Throttle pedal = 100%)
rThPriTR = 68.8% (Some measure of actual throttle plate % ?) (Drive-by-wire) any suggestions what TR means? Transient?
rThPri = 66.3% (Some measure of throttle plate % ?)
pBoostTR = 3.27bar
pBoost = 3.07bar (with and without "TR" again)
pIntakeL = 3.35bar
pIntakeR = 2.25bar (this strongly suggests that L & R banks are throttled independently)
je suis charlie

wuzak
wuzak

If the driver's throttle is at 100% why would the throttle plate be ~68%?

The power I get from the torque and rpm numbers is 713hp. If this is not maximum power then it is close to it.

gruntguru
gruntguru

wuzak wrote:If the driver's throttle is at 100% why would the throttle plate be ~68%?
The throttles, boost, wastegates, charge air temp, fuel temp are probably all under computer control. The quantity of air supplied to the cylinders must be precisely controlled (along with the other parameters mentioned) even under very rapid transients to maintain the combustion regime desired. This is particularly true if there is a HCCI mode.

It is even conceivable that the loading required to maintain the most-efficient-combustion-mode is not possible if all 6 cylinders share the load equally. In that situation it may be more efficient to operate one bank in the most-efficient-combustion-mode (eg HCCI) and the other bank meeting the rest of the load at the best available efficiency for that load condition.
Last edited by gruntguru on 12 Apr 2016, 07:02, edited 1 time in total.
je suis charlie

FW17

Did you see Honda's water cooled intercooler? Wonder when they will have it in the car.

Abarth

ringo wrote:
hemichromis wrote:could 'ALPHA_d' be throttle?

716bhp would certainly be too weak for the ICE combined with full MGU-K.
886bhp does sound more like it, so maybe this was run was carried out without MGU-K assistance.

Great find anyway.
It can be from the K and be 726hp. If the MGUH power was being sent directly to the K it doesn't have to be the maximum 160hp deployed. It may well be 50, who knows.
The most probable operating condition on dyno is the compounded (self sustaining) operation.
No electrical energy from MGU-H has to be dumped somewhere, and no additional electrical energy has to be supplied to "fill up" to the allowed 120kW for MGU-K.

630 HP from ICE and 100 HP from compunding seems well in the ball park to me, isn't it?
Would mean close to 800 HP if the ES can deliver the remaining 60 HP.

Self Sustained (compounding) operation efficiency would be about 42% with 45.5 MJ/kg fuel.
This is also somehow as expected, esp. as Honda doesn't seem to be where Mercedes is, yet.
Last edited by Abarth on 12 Apr 2016, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.

Abarth

gruntguru wrote:[...]any suggestions what TR means? Transient?
[...]
Could it mean "Target", i.e. the target value the ECU does compute, and the actuators have to follow?
If so, the screenshot could come from a transient condition. Esp. because at full load, why would they throttle one bank more than the other?

honda_fun
honda_fun

The major reason of the lack of Honda PU power in 2015 depended on having designed the MGU-H too small. Honda engineers realize that August in 2015. So they redesign larger MGU-H, turbine and compressor.

Spark advance control of the combustion just before the knocking, Honda can improve the output of the ICE by 4% from the present. A certain engineer says that Honda PU has already exceeded 900HP at the peak and it is now more powerful than that of the second Barcelona test in 2016.

Juzh

hemichromis wrote:As i understand the regs the driver an have no direct control of the ERS system so it all has to be mapped in modes.
They can dump the battery charge whenever they wish (if available) via a button press. This doesn't happen very often as most energy is being used on the fly.

Abarth

honda_fun wrote:[...]A certain engineer says that Honda PU has already exceeded 900HP at the peak and it is now more powerful than that of the second Barcelona test in 2016.
Those HP Numbers close to 900 HP are wishful thinking in my eyes, unless someone comes up with a magic fuel.
Such figures would mean that the engine has about 50% efficiency in a compounded operation.

Lucky
Lucky

"We will keep pushing to provide the extra power; so far it's almost equivalent as it was last year."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... pend-speed

Wazari :?