Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Pierce89

Re: Honda Power Unit

hemichromis wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:Of course Renault has improved, now they're even able to complete a race without blowing to pieces. But I still believe they're behind 2015 spec Ferrari.
And Honda is even further behind, both on raw power as well as driveability.
But not by 0.8 seconds even Honda isn't that far behind.

Doesn't anybody else find it unusual that the figure is exactly the same?
Paddy Lowe claimed the 15 Ferrari is the slowest PU in the field but I don't believe it for a second, because it's just a way if saying "keeping the status quo is what we want, so I'll pretend Renault and Honda are catching up with us so maybe there'll be a way to stop open development." Because open development is the only POSSIBILITY to catch Mercedes. With tokens system , they'd never be caught.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Sasha
Sasha

The between the engine v Compressor is about maxed out now and Honda ICE is still far behind MB and Ferrari.(and it can not get bigger where it is now)

With a new Combustion Chamber it will need a bigger Compressor to make the power.(still needs a bigger compressor if stay with same combustion chamber to make more top-end power and better driveability)

18-20 tokens needed to do what is needed to the Honda PU.(Honda has 14)
Honda could get some done on reliability reasons.
Last edited by Sasha on 14 Apr 2016, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

I presume the big outside-v-compressor is already on the testbenches, but they need to convince Mclaren of the gains possible with such an engine. I would cause them to redesign the complete chassis backend.

Chicane
Chicane

Not an engineer by profession but if they had to ship out the compressor to the rear of the engine they would have done that in the winter. When they are recovering sufficient energy and are not having issues with deployment i tend to believe the big gains are going to come from the combustion upgrades. The turbine anyways sits outside the V so they can optimize it further without changing the layout. I think there is still plenty to extract by playing with combustion and only then Honda will venture in to changing the layout for next year when all hell breaks loose with no token restrictions.

When you bring in combustion upgrades you tend to gain additional power from concomitant fuel upgrades. I am guessing the next batch of upgrades are going to come from combustion area. I think Honda should be commended for getting the ERS sorted without moving the compressor out of the V. Arai was categorical since last year that the basic layout will not change and they will fix the deployment issues without changing they layout.
Quickshifter

maguetox
maguetox

Chicane wrote:
Arai was categorical since last year that the basic layout will not change and they will fix the deployment issues without changing they layout.
And where is Arai right now? He is out of the loop because he was stubborn. Honda need to fix the majority of their problems in the short term ASAP and if moving the compressor to the back I think and hope they do it. The new chamber must be a part of mayor redesign and that will be next year however I could be completely wrong with my assumption.

honda_fun
honda_fun

According to the reliable Japanese journalist reported us that the cause of Jenson Button's retirement in Bahrain GP race.
The Honda engineer said that the point of the trouble was not combustion chamber and intake system but was the joint parts to the gear box.

The team can still use the engine, if only the parts was changed. But there is the FIA seal in that place. When the FIA seal was teared off, Honda can't use the component(if their use it, FIA count the second ICE.). So in Chinese GP, Honda has brought their new ICE.

Serbian4ever
Serbian4ever

Chinesse Gp fp2
Last edited by Serbian4ever on 15 Apr 2016, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

hemichromis
hemichromis

Serbian4ever wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgEvPfiXEAAGqSQ.jpg

Chinesse Gp fp2
Looks promising but I expect it all to change tomorrow

PlatinumZealot

Sasha wrote:The between the engine v Compressor is about maxed out now and Honda ICE is still far behind MB and Ferrari.(and it can not get bigger where it is now)

With a new Combustion Chamber it will need a bigger Compressor to make the power.(still needs a bigger compressor if stay with same combustion chamber to make more top-end power and better driveability)

Confirm?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

maguetox
maguetox

hemichromis wrote:
Serbian4ever wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgEvPfiXEAAGqSQ.jpg

Chinesse Gp fp2
Looks promising but I expect it all to change tomorrow
Definitively things will change tomorrow, but last year not even in the wildest dream the Honda PU will hit a top speed like this one., so the improvement is real, now we only need to wait for the ICE chamber and TC to be fix and be on the top of the ladder.

Serbian4ever
Serbian4ever

I think that Honda is good now and problem is McLaren. Speed trap is ok and we can see that this pu is not bad and we still have 2s gap. I think that Red Bull with Honda PU is very close or same as Ferrari or maybe better...

f1rules
f1rules

Serbian4ever wrote:I think that Honda is good now and problem is McLaren. Speed trap is ok and we can see that this pu is not bad and we still have 2s gap. I think that Red Bull with Honda PU is very close or same as Ferrari or maybe better...
im sorry not even close, mclaren only reached that top speed because of a tow, sec. mclaren is running with reduced rearwing to gain top speed

Serbian4ever
Serbian4ever

f1rules wrote:
Serbian4ever wrote:I think that Honda is good now and problem is McLaren. Speed trap is ok and we can see that this pu is not bad and we still have 2s gap. I think that Red Bull with Honda PU is very close or same as Ferrari or maybe better...
im sorry not even close, mclaren only reached that top speed because of a tow, sec. mclaren is running with reduced rearwing to gain top speed
Yes, thats true but i think that now is bigger gap in chassis and aero package then in pu. Thats why i say Red Bull with Honda Pu could be much better then McLaren right now ( only question how much better ) . Look at Manor, top speed excellent but big gap...
( if i make some mistake in my English , dont blame me I am from Serbia :D )

Chuckjr

Serbian4ever wrote:Thats why i say Red Bull with Honda Pu could be much better then McLaren right now.
After thinking that through you will find yourself filing that idea between flat earth theory, and religion.
Watching F1 since 1986.

OviJohn
OviJohn

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sasha wrote:The between the engine v Compressor is about maxed out now and Honda ICE is still far behind MB and Ferrari.(and it can not get bigger where it is now)

Confirm?
If you review the video and stills posted here, along with following translations:

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... start=3375

Seems like they´re pretty much out of working room for further TC expansion within the V