Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: R: Honda Power Unit

charlex wrote:
djos wrote:Honda wins F1 engines fight
16 January 2015 Updated 23:10
By Andrew Benson - Chief F1 writer
Formula 1's governing body the FIA has backtracked on an earlier ruling that allowed Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari to upgrade their engines but not Honda.
The move comes after Honda expressed its unhappiness about what it considered to be an unfair situation.
Honda will now be allowed to develop its brand new engine within limits explicitly laid out by the FIA.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/30860 ... um=twitter

Well hooray, commonsense has finally prevailed!
That's pretty unfair
how so?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

McLobby

Re: Honda Power Unit

wuzak wrote:
1158 wrote: I disagree.

If Honda get extra tokens then the others should get extra tokens too.

Because giving any tokens to Honda is giving them extra above what the others get.
And if others get extra time and the freedom of in-season development, Honda should get that too.
See it works both ways...

Either that, or McLaren can protest that the others are breaking the rules by homologating more than once in a year,
in which case they have to pay to consequences.
But now, It's up to them really, they can use all tokens at once before the start of the season, and leave Honda with 0 tokens, or use the loophole and share that advantage with the newcomer

You can't have the pie and eat it too.
Last edited by McLobby on 17 Jan 2015, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

Thunder

wow, the FIA finally let some common sense come into play. To me that is a good compromise.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

damager21
damager21

Same report on Sky F1

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12479 ... r-solution

Interesting quote from Adrian Newey:
"It’s a late change and we are sorting out with Renault the best way to play it - it's not exactly clear," Red Bull technical chief Adrian Newey told Sky Sports News HQ. "Renault still have some work to do on the dyno and after they’ve done that we will make a decision."

It will be interesting to see how Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari react. I think Renault and Ferrari would be more nervous given that they are playing catch up. If they try and hold on to their tokens then Honda gets that advantage too. Also usage of all / too many tokens before first race may not help them catch Mercedes during the season.

I hope Honda can pull off a reliable and reasonably powerful engine for the upcoming tests.

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

Certainly advantage to Honda but I think that is necessary for competition and reliability. The show will be better for this so I'm in favour.

wuzak
wuzak

McLobby wrote:And if others get extra time and the freedom of in-season development, Honda should get that too.
See it works both ways...
The others get extra time but not extra freedom.

Honda will be getting extra freedom.

wuzak
wuzak

Alexgtt wrote:Certainly advantage to Honda but I think that is necessary for competition and reliability. The show will be better for this so I'm in favour.
It pretty much screws Ferrari and Renault. So not that great for competition.

McLobby

wuzak wrote: The others get extra time but not extra freedom.
I consider in-season development to be extra freedom, in the times of engine ''freeze''
wuzak wrote: It pretty much screws Ferrari and Renault. So not that great for competition.

But they (Ferrari) were the ones that came up with that loophole in the first place, so who's to blame?

They will still get what they wanted; in-season development to try to catch Mercedes

I fail to see how the equal treatment of Honda, can be a ''screw up'' for Ferrari and Renault

wuzak
wuzak

McLobby wrote:
I consider in-season development to be extra freedom, in the times of engine ''freeze''
wuzak wrote: It pretty much screws Ferrari and Renault. So not that great for competition.

But they (Ferrari) were the ones that came up with that loophole in the first place, so who's to blame?

They will still get what they wanted; in-season development to try to catch Mercedes

I fail to see how the equal treatment of Honda, can be a ''screw up'' for Ferrari and Renault
There is no extra development for Ferrari and Renault. They just get extra time to finish the "off season" upgrades. They are not getting a gold pass to develop during the season. They are limited by their tokens.

Honda are going to be given tokens they never had.

The loophole Ferrari came up with is the date of homologation. That allows them to delay their 2015 homologation.

The suggestion seems to be that allows for multiple homologations.

Giving Honda any tokens is not equal treatment - it is favourable treatment.

marcush.
marcush.

who said it would be fair ?
you simply cannot beg for new suppliers to join and the instant they commit slap them into the face .Pretty much a no go in business .
Change the rules or rule interpretation and you just need to make sure the newboys at least have the same possibilities.

There is not much of an advantage to Honda starting a year late anyways.the one thing they have in hand is they have historical data of the best in class PU at their disposal -something of a benchmark ..Not bad yes but if this outweighs having not actuually competed in 2014 is rather questionable.

Nickel
Nickel

wuzak wrote:
McLobby wrote:

There is no extra development for Ferrari and Renault. They just get extra time to finish the "off season" upgrades. They are not getting a gold pass to develop during the season. They are limited by their tokens.

Honda are going to be given tokens they never had.

The loophole Ferrari came up with is the date of homologation. That allows them to delay their 2015 homologation.

The suggestion seems to be that allows for multiple homologations.

Giving Honda any tokens is not equal treatment - it is favourable treatment.
I think the point being made is that using their tokens with the benefit of a couple thousand km of testing, plus a couple race weekends, is extra freedom the rules did not intend. This is of substantial benefit compared to having a shorter time span and no/highly limited in car running on which to base your development choices. To deny honda this freedom is unfair.
I think the FIA were rather shrewd to base the Honda allotment on the choices made by their adversaries.

ringo

I don't think Honda will benefit much, so it's quite fair.
They will bring up the point that they should use 5 engines since it's their first year if they can't use the tokens. 5 engines this year would be unfair to the others who must use 4 instead.
So the best trade off was to allow honda the flexibility like the other teams. Now i think this is not much of a gift. The elephant in the room is time.. Even if Honda gets those tokens to use, they will spend most of the year understanding their engine than developing it. They wont hit the ground running with planned developments that were based on on track experience like the other teams. So rest assured Renault nor Ferrari will have the knee jerk reaction and use up all their tokens so Honda don't have any.
This whole ruling in favour of Honda is more a gesture of hospitality because they are the new guys on the block. They can't fully utilize it, because they are now in collecting data mode than developing mode, unlike the other engine makers.
For Sure!!

bdr529

Honda wins engine development battle for 2015
According to the BBC. Honda has won its fight to develop its engine during the 2015 season after being given concessions by the FIA.

FIA has allowed Honda limited development throughout the season. The BBC reports Honda will be allowed to make upgrades based on the average number of tokens unused by the other manufacturers by the time of the Australian Grand Prix on March 16.
http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport ... STxK4q7.99

PlatinumZealot

Late to the party there... :-)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

maccafan
maccafan

FIA has come to their senses? How is that possible?