Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
godlameroso

Re: Honda Power Unit

loner wrote:if Honda spend the remaining 3 tokens for ALO later is that mean another penalty for him ?
is it possible they spent the 10 tokens for ALO already and prefer to take all penalties in SPA !!
From what I hear, they're planning an ERS upgrade for Suzuka or Malaysia, maybe even Singapore. It would be the final update of the year, so final engine. He may take more penalties probably in Malaysia to cover himself for the rest of the season.
Saishū kōnā

amho

Automotorundsport claims that Honda upgrade was worthy about 15 hp in qualifying mode.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 23687.html
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

godlameroso

I think there's still some more power to be found. It takes me roughly 6-8 hours of actual running to fully dial in any big changes I make to an engine. Granted I don't have the facilities or equipment, but I'm also not tuning experimental equipment that's far more complex than a OTS forced induction kit or NA tuning.
Saishū kōnā

ringo

Honda fuel consumption problems may be from ERS deficiency. They may not be getting the same level of "torque" fill as the other engines with the mguk at lower revs where less than max fuel flow is used. And as such the other engines may be burning less fuel than predicted by the restrictions.
Other posibilities are: the chassis and its traction, harvest efficiency, intake air temperatures( made even worse from running in the back).
For Sure!!

daren_p
daren_p

ringo wrote:Honda fuel consumption problems may be from ERS deficiency. They may not be getting the same level of "torque" fill as the other engines with the mguk at lower revs where less than max fuel flow is used. And as such the other engines may be burning less fuel than predicted by the restrictions.
Other posibilities are: the chassis and its traction, harvest efficiency, intake air temperatures( made even worse from running in the back).
While this may be true, their ERS system doesn't seem too bad currently (or at least not the weakest link), I think the biggest issue is just down to lack of power. In a fuel limited formula, power & efficiency go directly hand in hand.

godlameroso

You may be on to something, do you think they're focusing on midrange power as far as the ICE is concerned, and relying on electric power to try to make up for the fact they can't run high top end ICE power?

I think below 280kph they're excellent, it's when speeds go above that where they start to lose out. They don't have enough power after 300kph could be any number of reasons. Alonso was topping out at around 318kph on the Kemmel straight without DRS, whereas the Mercedes powered cars were doing ~335kph without DRS. If the power units were similar even if McLaren were running more downforce and drag, the difference would be 7-8kph on the straight.

Engine power wise, they've taken a modest but noticeable step forward, ~6kph gained on the straights, I'm sure there's more to come from it. I wouldn't be surprised if they ran somewhat conservatively, we may see them eek out a little more performance from it for the next race. Who knows where they'll finish however, because race day is looking rainy.
Saishū kōnā

f1rules
f1rules

interesting enough, mclaren clocked the highest kph crossing the finish line just like in barcelona, so the car seems to have good low end/traction

crf1
crf1

Nice picture of air filter in McLaren Honda to compressor (SPA) http://cfile.pw/img/1bfd8h.jpg

mclaren111

f1rules:

interesting enough, mclaren clocked the highest kph crossing the finish line just like in barcelona, so the car seems to have good low end/traction
I think Alonso saved some power for this section to ensure he could defend properly before & through Eau Rouge and the DRS straight.

Middle sector was already good because of downforce setup.

JOB WELL DONE =D> :D =D>

PlatinumZealot

It was a good job yes.

Wait till they get TJI.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

amho

mclaren111 wrote:
f1rules:

I think Alonso saved some power for this section to ensure he could defend properly before & through Eau Rouge and the DRS straight.

Middle sector was already good because of downforce setup.

JOB WELL DONE =D> :D =D>
I guess that Alonso set the highest speed in finish line when he was pressurizing Hulkenberg in restart and he might have had mgu-k's boost...
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

Sasha
Sasha

With the Compressor still in the V and using a weird advance design type(very long and narrow.....30cm long!!!!!),they will not match the other PU's top-end power.

That will not be fixed until next year when the Compressor gets moved out of the V and they go to the standard pancake style Compressor.

loner

godlameroso wrote:
loner wrote:if Honda spend the remaining 3 tokens for ALO later is that mean another penalty for him ?
is it possible they spent the 10 tokens for ALO already and prefer to take all penalties in SPA !!
From what I hear, they're planning an ERS upgrade for Suzuka or Malaysia, maybe even Singapore. It would be the final update of the year, so final engine. He may take more penalties probably in Malaysia to cover himself for the rest of the season.
yes Malaysia seems favorite for SuzukA crucial performance matter of dignity you know gp2 engine haha
hopefully this update will unleash their TJI version.
para bellum.

PlatinumZealot

Sasha wrote:With the Compressor still in the V and using a weird advance design type(very long and narrow.....30cm long!!!!!),they will not match the other PU's top-end power.

That will not be fixed until next year when the Compressor gets moved out of the V and they go to the standard pancake style Compressor.
The compressor is much bigger now. Evident of the raised airbox on exhaust piping compared to last year. Their problem is the combustion efficiency. After they solve that, they will change the turbine and compressor to suit. I suspect that, for now combustion tuning it is firstly done on a dyno with compressed air piped to the engine and the turbine back-pressure emmulated. After that they will add a real turbocharger.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

Sasha wrote:With the Compressor still in the V and using a weird advance design type(very long and narrow.....30cm long!!!!!),they will not match the other PU's top-end power.

Are you referring to the intake trumpets?
Saishū kōnā