Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Sasha
Sasha

Re: Honda Power Unit

FIA gave Honda a token back for the engine block upgrade.So Honda still has 2 tokens left.

Roostfactor
Roostfactor

[quote]FIA gave Honda a token back for the engine block upgrade.So Honda still has 2 tokens left.[quote]

Interesting, I wander if Honda will reconsider another update this season.

mclaren111

Roostfactor:
FIA gave Honda a token back for the engine block upgrade.So Honda still has 2 tokens left.

I think only if it adds value for 2017.

hemichromis
hemichromis

Did someone on here mention that 2 tokens is enough for a combustion upgrade?

turbof1

Strange. I really don't see Honda making a judgement error whether an update requires a token or not, and furthermore why would the FIA bother to dispute that?

I'm really guessing, but my reasoning would be the update indeed did not require a token, but Honda wanted to keep it hidden. When using tokens, the changes do not have to spread to the other manufacturers for approval, which otherwise is needed if using updates for reliability purposes.

Or, they simply used the token to get the update quicker into the field, without having to wait for approval from the other manufacturers. Afterwards, Honda might have applied for it to be converted to a reliability upgrade.
#AeroFrodo

F1NAC

hemichromis wrote:Did someone on here mention that 2 tokens is enough for a combustion upgrade?
it's not enough. You need 3 tokens for modification on chamber

Tauri_J
Tauri_J

Roostfactor wrote:
no

Craigy

turbof1 wrote:Or, they simply used the token to get the update quicker into the field, without having to wait for approval from the other manufacturers. Afterwards, Honda might have applied for it to be converted to a reliability upgrade.
I don't recall a precedent for any of them doing that in the past. Interesting idea.

Chicane
Chicane

Hasegawa ruled out any further updates in the fia press conference today.
Quickshifter

PlatinumZealot

turbof1 wrote:Strange. I really don't see Honda making a judgement error whether an update requires a token or not, and furthermore why would the FIA bother to dispute that?

I'm really guessing, but my reasoning would be the update indeed did not require a token, but Honda wanted to keep it hidden. When using tokens, the changes do not have to spread to the other manufacturers for approval, which otherwise is needed if using updates for reliability purposes.

Or, they simply used the token to get the update quicker into the field, without having to wait for approval from the other manufacturers. Afterwards, Honda might have applied for it to be converted to a reliability upgrade.
Hasegawa actually said this before though.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

honda_fun
honda_fun

Japanese F1 journalist, Mr.Yoneya, reported for us his site that new Honda exaust manifold is priced 6-7million yen.
When 1 race week is over, the parts must be changed. That was Inconel and lightened several kilograms.

godlameroso

:wtf: That's nuts, that's about $65,000 USD for those wondering. And here I thought I was special with a $1,600 mid pipe.
Saishū kōnā

nevill3

With the demise of the token system Honda are at liberty to redesign any part or all of the engine if they wish. I hope they have identified a development path that will give them ample opportunity for wholesale gains throughout next year if required. I hope they have decided on one iteration of the new power unit taking the best of what they have now and incorporating the best of the other engine manufacturers ideas too. I hope they have not developed a "split" or alternate strategy/solution and plan on developing two engines simultaneously with an eventual convergence because this would dilute their "brain power". They have the necessary resources to do two projects but I think it would delay any future final solution which could render next year another "test year" and my nerves and patience are already at breaking point.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

turbof1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sasha wrote:Suzuka is all about being smooth and losing zero speed in fast and mid speed corners.So a great chassis(keeping it level to the ground at all times) and PU drivability(still must have great ICE power and great HERS at the sametime, KERS not as important at this track) is a must here.

Mclaren chassis doesn't keep level all the time and eats rear tires so sucks on mid to fast corners.Honda PU is behind everybody on drivability.
So gow do you explain this?

http://i.imgur.com/JGHtasS.jpg
So this is in the, get this, Honda Power Unit thread. Along with a almost 2 dozen of pages of chassis talk which really, really do not belong here.

This topic is strictly about the Honda Power Unit, and not about chassis performance. The furthest this is allowed to reach into the discussion of chassis, is the integration of the PU into the chassis.

It speaks for itself the topic is not allowed to be in any case about a mercedes chassis.

I'll go through the topics and remove none-conforming post this evening. Please stay within the booundaries of the topic.
#AeroFrodo

Joseki
Joseki

So the 2017 PU is already running on dynos, the 2016 PU started to run on dynos months later.