Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
DFX
DFX

Re: Honda Power Unit

(I stole this from Mclaren Team forum :mrgreen: )

So if this is confirmed, what can we expect about the breakthroughs made this year by Mobil on fuel and lubrificant side? Will Castrol be able to continue their work or will they have to start from zero?

Mansell89
Mansell89

Wazari wrote:Although this is off topic, I simply wanted to publicly say thank you to all of you (which have been many) for all the kind words and thoughts during the difficult time that my family went through over the past several months. It has really made a difference and I was overwhelmed at all the kind messages received from posters of a public forum.

I took a leave of absence from June until September. I am back working and plan to continue until the start of winter testing. Many of your posts have been spot on with regards to the PU. Probably more accurate than many of the journalists. =D> I am very excited about the changes coming from the 2017 and hopefully will see the fruits of HRD's labor on the track for next season.

Again, my sincerest thanks to all of you who probably don't realize how much your messages have meant to me.
Welcome back Wazari and most importantly best wishes to you and the family!

Love reading your posts and following this McLaren Honda journey!

PlatinumZealot

DFX wrote:

So if this is confirmed, what can we expect about the breakthroughs made this year by Mobil on fuel and lubrificant side? Will Castrol be able to continue their work or will they have to start from zero?
I have a friend who work in the lubricant industry and he told me that oil companies will sometimes sell other oil companies their lubricants/fuels and allow them to re-brand it at a price. Maybe this will happen - not sure Castrol/BP is so advanced with these fuels?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

DFX wrote:

I would imagine it wouldn't be hard to get BP samples of the current Mobil fuel/lubricant. I don't know what the status of the McHonda/Mobil partnership was but if Mobil is leaving early IP transfer could be part of the deal.

Depending on how long this has been in the works BP might already be supplying fuel to Honda for the development of the 2017 engine. An engine which could be much different and require a very different fuel from what is being run now anyway.

GhostF1
GhostF1

It would explain why Mobil have been unusually quiet for the past couple Grand Prix's. I'm certain we were awaiting a further updated fuel as well but that looks like it has been quietly swept under the rug....

GoranF1
GoranF1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
DFX wrote:

I have a friend who work in the lubricant industry and he told me that oil companies will sometimes sell other oil companies their lubricants/fuels and allow them to re-brand it at a price. Maybe this will happen - not sure Castrol/BP is so advanced with these fuels?
castrol is in road cars in my opinion the best engine oil.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

McL-H
McL-H

GoranF1 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
DFX wrote: (I stole this from Mclaren Team forum :mrgreen: )

Why?

Wazari

Again thank you for your continued kind words.

Here is some food for thought, just because you have a sponsor's logo on the side of the car, that doesn't always mean you have their products in your PU or burning their fuel.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Joseki
Joseki

So pretty much like they do with Williams, Petrobras and Petronas.

davidfroshanzen
davidfroshanzen

Wazari wrote:Again thank you for your continued kind words.

Here is some food for thought, just because you have a sponsor's logo on the side of the car, that doesn't always mean you have their products in your PU or burning their fuel.
Yes thats right, like pertamina fastron in manor (rio haryanto's car).

godlameroso

McL-H wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Why?
Oh we don't want to go down this rabbit hole, trust me. For road cars, lubrication has come on leaps and bounds, even the short trip taking, extensive idling, maintenance ignoring granny is pretty well protected with your off the shelf "synthetic" oil. And even if Castrol isn't a true synthetic in the strictest sense of the word, all of my street Hondas happily go 10,000 miles per oil change and most of them have well north of 200,000km so I can't complain.

Then again racing oils have completely different requirements than conventional oils, they don't have to deal with condensation, or fuel dilution, or long OCI's. Putting in racing oil in a street car will actually ruin your motor, and street oils probably wouldn't work as well on track as a dedicated track oil.

In formula 1 the oils are pre-heated and injected into the engine, thus there's probably no need for multi weight oils with various VI's. The environment has much tighter tolerances, and smaller clearances. It's certainly an interesting topic, but one that's shrouded in much secrecy.
Saishū kōnā

GoranF1
GoranF1

McL-H wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Why?
Because 1.9Tdi never evere brakes down....;)
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

PlatinumZealot

Most brands are good brands. F1 teams would be scrambling to change fuel partners if the differences were big. How many here by Petronas lubricant? Never even seen it on the shelf.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PhillipM
PhillipM

Me, EuroCarParts stock it. Cheap on trade!

Thunder

This is interesting:
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 79894.html

While much of these Data are smoke and mirrors only one Team claims a 22% increase in Power Output. AMuS suspects it is McLaren. But for me it could also be Toro Rosso, switching from 2015 Ferrari to a 2017 Renault.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum