Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
hurril
hurril

Re: Honda Power Unit

Sasha wrote:Good news... MB stated they had hit the horsepower max for this engine formula.

From now on there will be very very little HP gain so most of the performance gains for them will come from the little things,like improving drivability and better ERS.
Where are they claiming this?

Andres125sx

Sasha wrote:Good news... MB stated they had hit the horsepower max for this engine formula.

From now on there will be very very little HP gain so most of the performance gains for them will come from the little things,like improving drivability and better ERS.
Sasha, I know you´re one of the most reliable sources of information in this thread, but even so it would be great to know the source.

Don´t take it wrong, it´s just because that info makes me too happy and I don´t want to be dissapointed :mrgreen: That would mean perfomance differences will be smaller next season, and that would improve the show noticeably.

Ok chassis differences next season could be dramatic, but if PU perfomances are similar that´d be definitely a step forward

-wkst-
-wkst-

Toto Wolff said that they maxed out perfomance under current rules, but that's about the chassis.

Craigy

What Toto Wolff actually said was, and I quote,

“We're maxed out on performance, as is normal at the end of a regulation cycle, and when that happens everything becomes more marginal"

bigblue

It was reported on some obscure website called autosport.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... erformance).

It doesn't say which aspect(s) are maxed-out. I also want to remark that the run-away dominant force saying "hey, we're not going to be so dominant" is pretty expedient. I mean, it could be true, but who knows ?

Andres125sx

If that´s the source, than I get it as he´s talking about chassis rules, not PU, as we´re not at the end of PU regulations, only at the end of chassis regulations. PU will be the same next season, and it will be only fourth season with this PUs, and with a lot more freedom for development so... :(

nevill3

Andres125sx wrote:If that´s the source, than I get it as he´s talking about chassis rules, not PU, as we´re not at the end of PU regulations, only at the end of chassis regulations. PU will be the same next season, and it will be only fourth season with this PUs, and with a lot more freedom for development so... :(
That would be what I inferred from that article too. The unlimited development the teams now have for the engines could see major gains from all concerned with totally new philosophies and exotic layouts tried, tested and implemented.

I am already excited about next year and cannot wait to see just how big an improvement Honda can deliver.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

mrluke
mrluke

nevill3 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:If that´s the source, than I get it as he´s talking about chassis rules, not PU, as we´re not at the end of PU regulations, only at the end of chassis regulations. PU will be the same next season, and it will be only fourth season with this PUs, and with a lot more freedom for development so... :(
That would be what I inferred from that article too. The unlimited development the teams now have for the engines could see major gains from all concerned with totally new philosophies and exotic layouts tried, tested and implemented.

I am already excited about next year and cannot wait to see just how big an improvement Honda can deliver.
If the limit on PU numbers per season remains then we will not see any big risks taken with regard to new layouts or philosophies. If its wrong you are going to have live with it for most of the season.

nevill3

I would argue that if it is seriously wrong a potential engine penalty later in the season could be weighed against current poor performance and an upgrade would be applied. My original comment was aimed at pre-season development rather than in season, but major or radical upgrades could still be introduced during the season however long lead times for developing "new engines or layouts" would prohibit this unless simultaneous developments of different engine philosophies were being explored.

This would cost lots of money but Honda, Mercedes and Ferrari could afford it if needed, maybe even Renault too if their desire to conquer their rivals is strong enough.

I guess it comes down to how strong a management team is and how confident they are in their designers.

nevill3

Have the Homologation rules been tightened up for 2017?

ringo

If toto is referring to engine performance then i think he is telling half the story. They seem to be able to run maximum power with "strat1" for a limited time before there is the potential for reliability compromise. Maybe the next level is to develop their engine to a point strat 1 can be run without any ill effects.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

This!
He is talking about the chassis. In the contect of the interview he mentioned changing aero parts and such.

The engine still has some development guys... Just under the token system it was limited. Trust me.. There is much more horsepower and reliability to come..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Pierce89

ringo wrote:If toto is referring to engine performance then i think he is telling half the story. They seem to be able to run maximum power with "strat1" for a limited time before there is the potential for reliability compromise. Maybe the next level is to develop their engine to a point strat 1 can be run without any ill effects.
This sounds plausible as some sources of HP numbers indicate a TE of over 50%,which says to me "not much room for improvement".
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Postmoe

This Toto talk reminds me of a well known quote from a great leader.

"Now witness the power of this fully operational battle station"

To be pronounced in Melbourne, 2017 AC

bauc

Postmoe wrote:This Toto talk reminds me of a well known quote from a great leader.

"Now witness the power of this fully operational battle station"

To be pronounced in Melbourne, 2017 AC
Yeah, and we all know how that turned out :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg