Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Joseki
Joseki

Re: RE: Re: Honda Power Unit

Sasha wrote:What I heard from HRD and my thoughts.

The past year, R&D teams have been working on different PU designs and a team working on CC/TC.

They picked the most radical design because that was going to be the only way to surpass MB in future.(2018)
(Honda and Mclaren knew this year they wasn't going to win a GP) They could of went the safe way with the TC in the rear and still be slower than MB,Ferrari and RB.

The beginning of the season could be hell, by mid-season better than last year and by end of season...knocking on the door with a chance of a win.
Every year the same story with some details changed.

kasio
kasio

Re: RE: Re: Honda Power Unit

Joseki wrote:
Sasha wrote:What I heard from HRD and my thoughts.

The past year, R&D teams have been working on different PU designs and a team working on CC/TC.

They picked the most radical design because that was going to be the only way to surpass MB in future.(2018)
(Honda and Mclaren knew this year they wasn't going to win a GP) They could of went the safe way with the TC in the rear and still be slower than MB,Ferrari and RB.

The beginning of the season could be hell, by mid-season better than last year and by end of season...knocking on the door with a chance of a win.
Every year the same story with some details changed.
In that sense your comment can be applied to anything. i find those changed details interesting.

PlatinumZealot

Re: Honda Power Unit

Wow. It is so wild. Screeching tyres and bucking up and down like a mule. Compare to how smooth and easy the Renault is. At least this video shows they do have enough power at lower loads and rpms.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Macklaren
Macklaren

dren wrote:
RS200E wrote:
dren wrote:
Which is better than having a rather crap chassis at the start. With these new PUs, the driveability can certainly be smoothed and changed through mapping. I still don't believe all of the team's shortcomings are down to the PU. Last year the chassis was to blame for part of it, too. Remember the chassis the team designed with the Mercedes PU in 2014?

Hopefully, both parties can get things turned around after several races into the championship.
Nonsense.

Remember all the other great chassis they disigned?

Very selective memory.
Sure, they have made championship winning chassis. It's been a while.
They won the WCC in 2007 and the WDC in 2008. Between 2009-13, they had the second fastest car for most of that time... That's a better record than most teams... Esp for a team that doesn't have a works engine

RS200E

Alsonso pretty clear on what the problem is...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alon ... ty-880808/
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

nevill3

When asked whether he was able to take Barcelona's Turn 3 flat out, Alonso also made a joke about the lack of performance.

"Oh yeah, for us, not only Turn 3," he smiled. "For us nearly all the corners are flat."
Alonso quote, I guess a little more power is needed
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

Tommy Cookers wrote:
Craigy wrote:
flexcon wrote:Here is another clip I took just now.
Whilst the sound we are familiar with sounds great like a devil, this changing gears in 5th 6th and 7th is awful!! [urlhttps://youtu.be/_RPtcv35b1U[/url]
Agreed.Crackpot theory: Honda are using the ERS-K to provide a quick torque fix to rev-match the engine to the gearbox, and that's currently failing for some control reason, meaning that the engagement is very harsh.
imo not crackpot
the K is geared to the crankshaft about 3:1 ie if unenergised its inertia substantially degrades and/or slows the shift

it is presumably energised ie continuously controlled to contribute as far as it can to emulate the ICE control for shift performance
ie momentary generator action to reduce its rpm as quickly as possible with upshift, minimising disruption in smoothness and speed of the shift
and similarly momentary motor action to increase its rpm as quickly as possible with downshift

if there was no spare energy in the ES the system would not work as intended
for this situation the fallback would be slower settings of the ICE and gearbox response to the shift demand
without the fallback (when needed) the shifts would show mechanical distress

the K is geared slightly higher than 3 - considering that the effective inertia goes up by the square of the gear ratio - the engine sees about 10 times the actual inertia of the K ! That is bound to tickle a torsional frequency (likely even more) at some point.

Whatever cylinder deactivation shenanigans they do at part throttle, full throttle will always be a nasty uneven firing with a strong 1.5th order and its higher harmonics - 3rd , 4.5th 6th etc. If you were to draw a campbell diagram of this mess you'd be hard pressed to find something that does NOT resonate at some point.

And when's the worst time to hit a resonance ? Surely under the high transient response during a gearshift.
Last edited by 63l8qrrfy6 on 09 Mar 2017, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.

Craigy

11 laps of Barcelona
That's about 51.2 km.

That number is the longest continuous run the McLaren-Honda has managed so far in testing in 2017.

source: the video at http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... of-f1-2017

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

From the McLaren twitter feed, report on the day and in it Hasegawa said..

“This progress has enabled us to gather the important data required to understand the functionality of our next spec of power unit, which was introduced for today’s testing."

So they ran the new unit today.

Craigy

fellowhoodlums wrote:From the McLaren twitter feed, report on the day and in it Hasegawa said..

“This progress has enabled us to gather the important data required to understand the functionality of our next spec of power unit, which was introduced for today’s testing."

So they ran the new unit today.
The link to that report is here http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/2017/pr ... t-2-day-2/

ollandos
ollandos

i see this on autosport forum ...little god

http://i.prntscr.com/8f1d7fc9d52c46348e ... 8d4c83.png

hemichromis
hemichromis

They were doing a lot of mapping today alongside the usual aero work.

We shouldn't write off the engine for the season but we shouldn't expect an AUS win!

Craigy

Redragon wrote: alonso said today was a unit different from last week but not the spec for Australia
Wazari mentioned on the 4th March that there were 4 separate specs of engine 0.8, 0.9, 1.0, 1.1

The_table

I never said Australia, anyways we can assume that this is spec 0.9 but last year they were talking about two separate specs that aren't necessarily evolution's of each other but different solutions so maybe it's wrong to assume that this one would (or should) be any faster.

flmkane
flmkane

In a very twisted way, the reliability issues might be by design.

They might simply be trying a large number of designs in a very short period of time, thus have a bunch of engines ready to go
before the season kicks in.

However, to pull that off would be a tremendous feat of both management and engineering. Engineering wise I can think that they might have 3-4 iterations ready to go, but management wise they'd also have to make decisions of how to proceed with design changes for future engines based on lessons learnt, or based on unexpected failures.

Although I tried to word it simply, such a scenario seems to be very twisted and complex to me. Extremely risky.