Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Re: Honda Power Unit

Those are some really worrisome quotes. And apparently the lack of power is also is not their fault, it's just the others did better? Doesn't that mean their assumptions of what others were going to achieve are incorrect as well.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Jef Patat wrote:
Those are some really worrisome quotes. And apparently the lack of power is also is not their fault, it's just the others did better? Doesn't that mean their assumptions of what others were going to achieve are incorrect as well.
Until the Power Unit is reliable enough to run at full tilt, I doubt even Honda really knows where they will be against the other manufacturers. Other than the data they've gathered from the dyno. Seems Honda lacks somebody who can say "Stop redesigning the part, manufacture it and test it for reliability/performance".

FW17

I am really surprised that McLaren had no access to the project management going on at Honda.

I would have thought the guys who dictated the size zero on Honda will have access to the scheduling of each concept for R&D, manufacture and testing. Along with the results if the various performance and compliance test results.

Maybe Mclaren should not influence on the design direction of the concepts but the rest would be expected to be transparent.

makecry
makecry

FW17 wrote:I am really surprised that McLaren had no access to the project management going on at Honda.

I would have thought the guys who dictated the size zero on Honda will have access to the scheduling of each concept for R&D, manufacture and testing. Along with the results if the various performance and compliance test results.
They never dictated size zero on Honda. C'mon, we should know better than to go on with this debunked rumor.

Arai said this,

Some analysts say that the technological troubles you encountered stemmed from McLaren's "size zero" concept, which called for an extremely small power unit. Do you intend to make any size changes in 2016?

No. F1 cars cannot go fast without proper consideration given to air resistance and the way suspensions move. It's important to minimize the size of power units so that they don't interfere with the car's design. ... McLaren once told us that we don't have to be aggressive in downsizing our power unit. But we are determined to shrink the size by whatever means possible.

Source : asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Honda-s-F1-boss-opens-up-about-team-s-rough-year?page=2

I remember Hasegawa saying the 2017 PU is even smaller than 2016s.

Redragon

makecry wrote:
FW17 wrote:I am really surprised that McLaren had no access to the project management going on at Honda.

They never dictated size zero on Honda. C'mon, we should know better than to go on with this debunked rumor.

Arai said this,

Some analysts say that the technological troubles you encountered stemmed from McLaren's "size zero" concept, which called for an extremely small power unit. Do you intend to make any size changes in 2016?

No. F1 cars cannot go fast without proper consideration given to air resistance and the way suspensions move. It's important to minimize the size of power units so that they don't interfere with the car's design. ... McLaren once told us that we don't have to be aggressive in downsizing our power unit. But we are determined to shrink the size by whatever means possible.

Source : asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Honda-s-F1-boss-opens-up-about-team-s-rough-year?page=2

And this is Boullier in 2015

Quoting Boullier “The chassis has been designed to wrap up so compactly at the rear that we had to include all elements into a tight package with nothing sticking out. In order to achieve this, Honda actually had to make several attempts and come up with three versions of the power unit because the initial two did not meet the chassis/aero technical specifications. It took them a lot of effort.”

Honda has to come with a solution to meet chassis/aero specs from Mclaren, there was not much compropmise at the time from Mclaren

Link to interview http://en.f1i.com/magazine/10369-hondas ... esign.html

RS200E

Redragon wrote:
makecry wrote:

Arai said this,

And this is Boullier in 2015

Quoting Boullier “The chassis has been designed to wrap up so compactly at the rear that we had to include all elements into a tight package with nothing sticking out. In order to achieve this, Honda actually had to make several attempts and come up with three versions of the power unit because the initial two did not meet the chassis/aero technical specifications. It took them a lot of effort.”

Honda has to come with a solution to meet chassis/aero specs from Mclaren, there was not much compropmise at the time from Mclaren

Link to interview http://en.f1i.com/magazine/10369-hondas ... esign.html

Then someone posts...

"Do Honda The giant of engine manufactuers have to abide by what McLaren says.
It's up to Honda to make it work or be transparent with their partner McLaren."

Then we move on to something more productive...
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

The_table

I wonder what Honda has against using test mules?

"Honda has not used test mules because mainly we don’t know when to stop. "

In other words, if they used test mules they would keep tweaking and tweaking each of their 5 different solutions and they would not move forward?

It just seems like they are back at square one every time they try out a new PU solution,then again that might just be the nature of the beast, it's probably impossible to get an f1 engine right at the start (IE no weird problems) even with a lot of knowledge , maybe building an engine and keeping to refine it is the only way to do it in F1.(as opposed to redesigning)

Chicane
Chicane

Looks like they still haven't found the cause of electrical issues.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/2017/pr ... -day-four/
Quickshifter

gary123

What a mess, I wasn't aspecting Honda to be on par with Mercedes and Ferrari but I hoped that they could get close as possible to Renault. At least a good reliability... They failed miserably, there is no reliability, no power and the team is very slow when it comes to correct the issues.
And I don't wanna read anymore Honda people saying that they will correct their problems and improve for the Spanish GP because it's the same story every season since 2015.
McLaren should just ditch Honda, --- the money that they bring, McLaren supporters are getting tired of the team and how ridiculous the situation has become. None of us was expecting them to win but we wanted a decent season fighting inside the Top 10 not with the backmarkes.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Until Honda continue to refuse mule car for testing situation will stay the same.
Renault,Mercedes and Ferrari use mule cars.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

gary123 wrote:What a mess, I wasn't aspecting Honda to be on par with Mercedes and Ferrari but I hoped that they could get close as possible to Renault. At least a good reliability... They failed miserably, there is no reliability, no power and the team is very slow when it comes to correct the issues.
They've gone with a new concept, I was expecting problems but not the ones they've had. However it's too early to hit the panic button. If they've not turned it around by the end of the season, then Honda is in dire straights.
And I don't wanna read anymore Honda people saying that they will correct their problems and improve for the Spanish GP because it's the same story every season since 2015.
All we can hope is that Honda do indeed overcome the growing pains of this new Power Unit concept by then, and they add performance to it over the rest of the season. They did an alright drop of getting to grips with the problems over the course of 2015 and 2016. But again they seem to have nobody who can say "We've taken this part of the PU so far, now is the time to manufacture and test it". Too many cooks as the old saying goes.
McLaren should just ditch Honda, --- the money that they bring, McLaren supporters are getting tired of the team and how ridiculous the situation has become. None of us was expecting them to win but we wanted a decent season fighting inside the Top 10 not with the backmarkes.
McLaren are likely in a watertight contract with Honda. They have to stick this through to the bitter end, otherwise they run the risk of dumping Honda just as Honda has a collective brainwave and sorts out it's problems. Nothing is ever certain in F1, McLaren haven't really been good since about 2012. So even if they did leave Honda and went with another manufacturer it is by no means certain they'd be any better. Sure they might be inside the top ten, but probably a ways off the podium, race wins and thus winning titles. Which is where McLaren ultimately wants to be.

As far as a mule car goes ? Unless Honda says it's developing an LMP1 car as cover, the FIA will likely deem it as testing and therefore not in accordance with the testing rules.

Goran2812
Goran2812

Everyone keeps repeating how Honda will solve it, we just have to wait and be patient, they need time, it's a new engine, and stuff like that... Guys, F1 is everything except waiting and having time... I'm afraid this ship has sailed... If nothing changes by Australia, McLaren will be the only backmarker there... lol
So sad...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

restless
restless

Do we know that these electrical problems are due to Honda engine?!
To me it seems the problem may be in not enough/bad insulation

Goran2812
Goran2812

I think they did mention that there was a problem in insulation, that it keeps getting breached somewhere and it's hard to find the spot... I think I read that somewhere...

Can someone explain/show photos of the type of insulation they were talking about?
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

SameSame
SameSame

13:57 Honda on the Alonso problem: "Fernando has stopped out on track with the same issue that Stoffel encountered yesterday - intermittent electrical shutdown.

"Various electrical components in the PU and chassis were changed overnight, and the team are making further changes to eliminate variables and identify the source of the problem."
From the Autosport Live ticker. Extremely worrying that they still do not know the source of the problem and seeing as it does not come up on their dynos, they might not find it before Australia.

Edit: I see it's been mentioned before.