Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
toraabe
toraabe

Re: Honda Power Unit

anthonyfa18 wrote:As being a honda love it's sad to say it's time for Honda to wake up http://www.f1undercover.com/mclaren-win ... -boullier/
Well,, I actually don't think Honda ever will be competitive unless they will hire some engineers from outside. It could also mean that if this season will be the same as in 2015, they will call it the day...

JonoNic

Re: RE: Re: Honda Power Unit

toraabe wrote:
anthonyfa18 wrote:As being a honda love it's sad to say it's time for Honda to wake up http://www.f1undercover.com/mclaren-win ... -boullier/
Well,, I actually don't think Honda ever will be competitive unless they will hire some engineers from outside. It could also mean that if this season will be the same as in 2015, they will call it the day...
2015 was restricted by tokens. 2017 was not restricted by tokens... So they should be able to fix their issues

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk
Always find the gap then use it.

ojlopez
ojlopez

toraabe wrote:
dren wrote:
godlameroso wrote:You mean inside the crank like some kind of weird Tesla coil?
That would be an interesting installation. I would assume the rotor would be the crank. The stator would be limited to the distance between the rods along the axial length unless there was some sort of way to segment it. If the stator was inside the crank, the crank would have to be fairly large and heavy, I'd think.

As it was mentioned by someone else, maybe Honda wanted to mount the K at the end of the crank, but that would add overall length. I'd still think you'd want to mount the K as low as possible and to the side like has been done. Although, Honda likes to mount their electric assist motors as flywheels in their IMA systems.
Listen to this. .. And .. blue smoke from the engine .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQHiZA4Hnbw
Alonso was pretty upset about that. He takes the engine to the rev limiter very hard.

nokivasara
nokivasara

Are there any official news from Honda? Or from McLaren about Honda, that's not just Eric Boullier bashing them?

The way I see it is that they had 2 incredibly bad test weeks but hopefully they know exactly what needs to be done to fix it. We can all read about vibrations and short cranks and whatnot but without any info leaking from Honda, who knows what the real issue is and what they are doing to fix it?

The silence could be a good thing but it is a bit disturbing too, I'd like for them to go out and say that they have it all under control (finally) and that they'll be competitive in Aus.
Wishful thinking of course but I still hope that they won't further embarrass themselves, bringing updates that last half a lap.

godlameroso

You'll find out next week what the state of affairs is, until then it's pointless to speculate any further.
Saishū kōnā

nokivasara
nokivasara

godlameroso wrote:You'll find out next week what the state of affairs is, until then it's pointless to speculate any further.
That's why I asked about official news :D

ojlopez
ojlopez

GoranF1 wrote:MP4-31 vs MCL32 sound comparation.

https://youtu.be/RNO3MDeCT38
MCL32 Turbo sounds louder, easily heard spooling up, but engine is a lot quieter. MP4-31 can be heard sounding like a rotary at about 0:17, very weird.

diffuser

godlameroso wrote:You'll find out next week what the state of affairs is, until then it's pointless to speculate any further.
Yep, everything I've read is a rehash from last week.

glenntws
glenntws

GhostF1 wrote:
glenntws wrote:
godlameroso wrote:What ever happened to glenntws?

Call me a tinfoil nutter, but I always thought he was secretly a Honda employee.
Sorry that I haven't been answering for a few days/weeks but my high School degree takes up so much time. It's just sad that I can't be as active as I want in this forum...

Altough I'm not a Honda employee, I wish i could be but hey, maybe someday dreams could come true.... But I take it as a big compliment :)

Regarding the engine: It sounds healthy in every audio you hear, i'm more than sure they got their combustion system right in terms of gas Dynamics. Even though they use pre-chamber ignition, the engine doesn't sound as raspy.

Firing order seems to be 1-3-2-4-6-5, which works out with the full throttle sound, the cylinder-shutoff sound and the idling. Also, it would be the only logical choice if they don't want big problems with harmonics.

What's about the ERS: Don't worry about that. The engine runs on very low power, the wastegates are (I think) always closed, because they have such a low amount of gas to charge the MGU-H :D That'y why the ERS light kicks in so early.

The problems they have are somewhat bitter, but when they are able to fix them all, their base will certainly allow them to have a very strong PU (if not the strongest IMO)_

Their PU is still nothing like the mercedes one. Maybe the changed their architecture a bit for better positioning of tubo and so on, but the engine is still the most outstanding one in therms of design (compared to Ferrari, MB and Renault).

Also: Sad to see you go Wazari. You're a very cool guy and it would be nice to see you in the forum in the future. I also think about sharing my engine Project to you all and some Feedback from someone like you would be more than nice :)
Always keen to hear your thoughts Glenntws! Glad you found some spare time.
Question.. What things make you think the Honda PU is the most outstanding re: design/potential? And why you believe their base will prove to be the strongest? Your speculative thoughts as well.

It sounds healthy on full throttle and I'm a big sucker for its theatrics leaving the garage on half cylinders, then it does a little rotary-sounding hiccup at pit lane end when all six fire as it leaves the pits, sounds great! (every video you can see the Renault engineers closer to pit exit all coming out to watch and listen haha.

I still think the Mercedes sound is vastly different to any other engine on the grid, it has a really piercing wail. The Renault has a nice sound to it this year, Ferrari more or less sounds the most similar to previous years but Honda? It actually seems quieter than years before! (Although I guess with it being run at a detuned level, as you suggest also, wastegates always shut, that would answer my own question)
I am sure that the integration of the MGU-H is nothing like in the merc PU. Somthing like a encavement in the V of the block is possible. So the have a tunnel inside of the V that is casted together with the block itself. In there, they could easily put in the magnetic coils for the MGU-H, and by that, they would not only increase strength of the block and the whole PU, but would also lower the position of the turbocharger. Another thing is the mounting Point of the MGU-K. I'm still sure they've put it right next to the block like always, but the could have mounted the MGU-K directly to the crankshaft by using 2 gears and cast the gear of the crankshaft at the position of a crank arms at the counterweights.

Yeah the sound on idle/half throttle is very nice, I love it sooo much. Yeah that's also what I saw, the engineers always wanted to hear the honda engine, it may be not (atm) the fastest pu, but by far the best sounding engine. Yeah with the closed wastegates you get the quieter sound. But actually, it could be possible that we will hear a much more "open-throated" sound like the Mercedes PU in Australia, when wastegates are opened, but it will still be completely different I guess.
Toomy Cookers wrote: @glenn
iirc Honda in the 80s had right bank cylinders 1, 2, 3, left bank 4, 5, 6, and firing order 1, 4, 2, 5, 3, 6
(and of course 240 deg of rotation between any crank throw and the next crank throw)
is your 1, 3, 2, 4, 6, 5 firing order based on these conventions ?

btw the only thing I remember about what we call Germany is that Hochschule isn't what is known in the USA as high School
I'm still going to School (to be exact, a "Gymnasium"). It's like the final preparation to be able to visit a University (Hochschule or Universität), so I'm currently doing my Abitur (that's how it's called here). But, enough of that :D

I think that Honda uses 1-2-3-4-5-6 or 1-3-2-4-6-5 because of the spacing you get when the sound gets analyzed, several paged I calculated everything through and it seems very realistic that the engine is firing at this order, which would match to the FIA regulations of 3 crank arms.

toraabe
toraabe

ojlopez wrote:
toraabe wrote:
dren wrote:
That would be an interesting installation. I would assume the rotor would be the crank. The stator would be limited to the distance between the rods along the axial length unless there was some sort of way to segment it. If the stator was inside the crank, the crank would have to be fairly large and heavy, I'd think.

As it was mentioned by someone else, maybe Honda wanted to mount the K at the end of the crank, but that would add overall length. I'd still think you'd want to mount the K as low as possible and to the side like has been done. Although, Honda likes to mount their electric assist motors as flywheels in their IMA systems.
Listen to this. .. And .. blue smoke from the engine .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQHiZA4Hnbw
Alonso was pretty upset about that. He takes the engine to the rev limiter very hard.
It should not smoke like that though.

Andres125sx

glenntws wrote:The problems they have are somewhat bitter, but when they are able to fix them all, their base will certainly allow them to have a very strong PU (if not the strongest IMO)_

Their PU is still nothing like the mercedes one. Maybe the changed their architecture a bit for better positioning of tubo and so on, but the engine is still the most outstanding one in therms of design (compared to Ferrari, MB and Renault).
That´s a huge claim I´m wondering if real since there´re no detailed pictures of the PU yet, but the optimistic in me will buy it :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PlatinumZealot

dren wrote:I read on another site the rumored 'trick' short crank is causing vibration issues which are compounded elsewhere. Question: "Did anyone do firing order analysis on the audio? If so, I can't find it. I remember seeing something but thought it was for an older PU. That could shed some light on the crank rumor.

Another question: "Is Honda testing a slew of single cylinders on a dyno and waiting until the last minute to throw together 6 of the best performing ones?"
That's funny, because it's like one big regurgitation loop. That same trick short crank idea originated on this site, and it got snuffed up by other sites, and then it dribbles it way back here... aah, the the internet, just like high school isn't it? :wink:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GoranF1
GoranF1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
dren wrote:I read on another site the rumored 'trick' short crank is causing vibration issues which are compounded elsewhere. Question: "Did anyone do firing order analysis on the audio? If so, I can't find it. I remember seeing something but thought it was for an older PU. That could shed some light on the crank rumor.

Another question: "Is Honda testing a slew of single cylinders on a dyno and waiting until the last minute to throw together 6 of the best performing ones?"
That's funny, because it's like one big regurgitation loop. That same trick short crank idea originated on this site, and it got snuffed up by other sites, and then it dribbles it way back here... aah, the the internet, just like high school isn't it? :wink:
I will be more specific.....@sasha read some members speculate about it here, then himself as @rollendaNSX over at Honda forum post it as "info", then @dren brought it back here.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

dren

PlatinumZealot wrote:

I've read about the short crank here and at the other, but I didn't see any mention of it here that it was the cause of vibration issues, unless I missed it?

I just wanted to discuss what about the crank could be causing the extreme vibrations.
Honda!

godlameroso

Many reasons, the combustion process, the crank stiffness, firing order, rod to crank throw ratio, rod orientation(if the block truly is a no stagger design with fork and blade rods), and coupling to the MGU-K all affect engine harmonics. Then there's the stuff outside the engine but that's peanuts in comparison.
Saishū kōnā